Clear all

Vocabulary

8 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pierson)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Okay so there have been some dissagreements between people about wether or not people should be harsh on criticising other's work or not. There have also been issues of swearing,so feel free to post opinions here (this mainly goes to the people posting on jus another sins song).

There's a thin fine line between hate and rage.
Now watch the line be crossed and break!

Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

Well, to me it seems that internet access available as it is, the possibilities of anyone looking up new, and expressive words are virtually infinite.

The odd swear word, yes. We've seen that in music for years, but there's no need to rely on the expletive!

I think our politically correct society has gone waaaaay too far. We should call a spade "a spade." Poor writing, poor musicianship, poor manners, bad art............ These things shouldnt be described as "one man's expression to which he has a right." The end result of that kind of PC thinking is a world swamped with ego driven trash.

Learning is one thing, and true learners need encouragement, but "in your face" rubbish, is quite another. :?

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@metalwerk2)
Trusted Member

I did say, "I think this song f*** sucks."

I appologize for using the works 'sucks.'

I should have said, "This f song needs alot of f*** work."

I feel better now.

ReplyQuote
 Gino
(@gino)
Trusted Member

:lol: :lol:

I say and write what I'm thinking, then wish I hadnt.
My only redeeming feature is that I'm honest.

ReplyQuote
(@lotto-king)
Prominent Member

WELL SAID MetalWerk2

nad I agree with gino :lol:

cheers :wink:

L.K :arrow:

Aghhhh

Not only am I a senior citizen

I'm now a bloody senior member

Are you people trying to tell me I'm old or what ?

over 700 posts ( I really do need to get out more )

ReplyQuote
(@freaky_nell)
Eminent Member

The English language has around 250,000 words in it. To concentrate on the use of one or two obscenities is, well, obscene. Start with 50 different words and work your way up to 1000, then 5000 - then start writing.

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member

I kind of feel responsible for that other thread blowing up the way it did because I'm the one that offered the first positive feedback for the song. It seemed like the thread was losing steam before I did that. I just didn't want to discourage the author and I honestly felt that without the expletives and with a few tweaks, it could have been a decent song.

Although I found the expletives in that song distracting there have been some songs with gratuitous use of the "F" word that I love (Guns 'N Roses and Buckcherry come to mind). But what carried those songs in my opinion were the music and melodies. They just rock and there is no grand message to distract from. And the lyrics just sound cool. And to Gino's point, the songs don't rely on them...but they don't need them either.

I find it difficult to critique lyrics without the benefit of music. Certain words can be a lot more jarring in print than hearing them with music. If an mp3 of that song had been posted and it had me stomping my foot and singing along, I probably wouldn't have cared what the lyrics were.

ReplyQuote
(@jonsi)
Estimable Member

I find it difficult to critique lyrics without the benefit of music. Certain words can be a lot more jarring in print than hearing them with music. If an mp3 of that song had been posted and it had me stomping my foot and singing along, I probably wouldn't have cared what the lyrics were.

I once heard Michael Stipe saying musical lyrics shall be heard, not read. I aggre with him.

ReplyQuote