Notifications
Clear all

2009 Guitar Goals: How Did You Do?

19 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I didn't really set myself any goals at the start of this year, except to get better. I thought I had got better - then I listened to the "Blue Winter" jam and realised, if anything, I've gone backwards.

It's not been a great year....jamming with Scrybe, Dan & Laura and Jacqui was the highpoint. I haven't got out at all, haven't had friends round, my guitars have spent more time in the pawn shop than in my hands, I haven't written much at all....no, not a year to remember.

But hey, look on the bright side - 2010 can only get better, right?

I reckon the last couple of songs I've written for the SSG have been pretty decent - so this year, my goal's to write a song a week - either for the SSG or from outside inspiration - and to work bloody hard at guitar till I get back to the stage where I'm happy with my playing.

To quote George Harrison....."it's going to take time...." "It's going to take money...."

Got the time - the money may be a problem.

But, as always, I'll try my best....this year I want to ROCK!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

OK tried to post and it wouldn't. Didn't have any gols in 2009..but I met all of them anyway. Not going to have any for 2010 (they change as I learn new stuff) but I am committed to learning Red House in it's entirety.

I have almost half down but it's going to take some work just to remember all the notes.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

........but I am committed to learning Red House in it's entirety.

I have almost half down but it's going to take some work just to remember all the notes.
I don't know how I could ever remember that song note for note, let alone play it.
But, as always, I'll try my best....this year I want to ROCK!
That's the spirit, Vic. This is your year, man. It's coming for you. Big Vic year is my vote.

Last year was a tough year for many folks. I'm certainly hoping for a much better year too. I'll do what I can to try to make it a better year, and then try to enjoy what my head lets me enjoy and the heck with the rest. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Roy,

You'll remember them in time...at least that's what I beleive. when I first started I could barely remember the chord progression for different parts of a song let alone the whole song and 30-50 others. I thought that I'd never be able to remember and thought how tough it must be for bands that have hundred's of songs in their repetoire to remember.

But I've past that stage and I don't have any problems remembering the chords/riffs to a song and have slowly begun really working on longer solo's. I play a few now with the band but most are fairly short maybe the longest is the solo in Just what I needed. But yea Red House will be a bit of a test not only for the amount of notes to remember but also there a couple fast runs that I'll need to work on but overall the song is pretty straight forward.

The other reason to do this and I have no clue if it helps or not is that it feels like I am exercising my mind having to remember the notes so maybe it will help ward off Alzheimer's. My mom had it at the end and I really don't want to go there if I can help it.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2