Notifications
Clear all

amo demo video i did

23 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

Then you should seriously consider a Hot Rod Deluxe, an attenuator and a Tubescreamer.

Set the volume on the clean channel to just before it starts to break up (you
need the attenuator to keep this at a reasonable level) and when you need overdrive set the gain on the Tubescreamer fairly low and the level pretty high. This will drive the amp and give you that great power amp overdrive.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

What it all boi8ls down to is everyone has a sound they are looking for. Me I like that warm tube sound vs the digital and yes I have both. Marshall 12DFX and Hot Rod Deluxe. The Marshall collects dust in my house, but like the others have noted the HR is loud and I use a volume pot on the preamp to keep the level down. Working on getting an attunator next.
What I think a lot of gear snobs fail to realize or refuse to acknowledge is that many modellers mimic tube very well. In a blind listen to, I doubt you would be able to hear the difference. Actually through a tube power amplifier like an atomic, you would likely choose the modeller over the tube amp. For one thing a good modeller is way more quiet than a true tube amp. Seriously. The new Pod pro's are incredibel machines.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

would getting a 2x12 cab instead of a 4x12 lower the volume? or will it not do any good?

just trying all possibilities before ttrying to get a HRD

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

No, won't do nearly enough. Just like going from 100W to the 40W of the HRD won't do nearly enough. So either get a proper way to lower the volume (attentuator) or just get rid of those darned tubes and get something more sensible, usefull and practical. Unless you want to change your HRD for a 15W blues junior next month, and change that to a 5W Epi valve junior and end up with a 1W H&K cream machine...

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

What I think a lot of gear snobs fail to realize or refuse to acknowledge is that many modellers mimic tube very well. In a blind listen to, I doubt you would be able to hear the difference. Actually through a tube power amplifier like an atomic, you would likely choose the modeller over the tube amp. For one thing a good modeller is way more quiet than a true tube amp. Seriously. The new Pod pro's are incredibel machines.

I do not consider myself a gear snob, but I do know what I like and do not like. Another example is a telecaster for me. Great guitar, but I cannot stand the tin can sound of one. But knowing that I lean toward Jazz type sound can be a reason as to why. Just not my style or preferance. I can hear the differance in that Marshall and my HRD! Big time differeance. Do I wish I had bought the Blues jr, yes but the deal I was offered on the HRD was only $50 more that the blues so I opted for the HRD. Now I wish I had ordered that 5/15W Carvin instead. 20/20 hind sight here on that issue. I hope I just did not take this wrong! Must be my lack of sleep. What I want to do is sell my HRD, and get an acoustic amp and a effects box so that I can play my electric along with my acoustic with one amp only.
What is a pod pro?

John M

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

Well one key thing about gear snobs is that they tend to form their opinions before they've even heard something. A Line6 Pod Pro is a rack mounted "professional" version of the Line 6 Pod. It is an extremely versitile amp modeller which I believe includes an acoustic modeller. I know of one professional band which relies entirely on these. Listening to their cd you would never know it. They plan on going "ampless" in the next year. As far as Tele's sounding tinny, well I think that you probably have never really listened to a tele. There are many tones to a guitar. Many which cannot be attained with a Les Paul. I love Les Pauls and humbuckers in general but there are just occasions that call for a more translucent sound which you can only get from single coils.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@xskastyleex)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

i tryedthe hot rod deluxe at a store, it was in a little tiny fender room. i put it up to like 5 and it was ok for me, so jumping down to 100 watt to 40 watt tube is a big difference for me. may not be for you but it is for me.

well im screwed, no music stores want to take the carvin. ebay wont give much and i dont want to package such a big item.

"Those who dream by night, in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that all was vanity; but dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Well one key thing about gear snobs is that they tend to form their opinions before they've even heard something. A Line6 Pod Pro is a rack mounted "professional" version of the Line 6 Pod. It is an extremely versitile amp modeller which I believe includes an acoustic modeller.

Thanks for the info. I have never used either one. I am personally into cleans sound with out effects, but that is just me right now. When I played the first time 70-73 we only had fuzz box and wah-wah as effects, along with tremblo and reverb in the amps. My gear then was a used Silvertone SS100 head with a 2x12 cabs and a fuzzbox. I had to do the fuzz to sound like a saturated tube amp that I could not afford.

As far as Tele's sounding tinny, well I think that you probably have never really listened to a tele. There are many tones to a guitar. Many which cannot be attained with a Les Paul. I love Les Pauls and humbuckers in general but there are just occasions that call for a more translucent sound which you can only get from single coils.

Yes I have, just dont's like the sound. I played one in 72 and it was not me and again I tried one out prior to my G&L Legacy I bought. I do not like the looks or the sound as my personal choice. I prefer a mellow warm sound most of the time. I understand on the single coils, my present guitar has active electronics that allow me to shunt the humbuckers into singles and even switch the phase like a tele. Also has a fishman birdge so I can get some verstiale tones. I mostly play in the center position. Really depends on my mood and what I am tryintg to play. I did play a Les Paul for a while a many years ago. I was friend of the music director a while back and they had a paul I played alot. Heavy bugger though. Lately I have been thinking about a guitar preamp like the Carvin SX300R so that I can use an acoustic amp and then the preamp to use my electric. I thought about the acoustic amp for use with my acoustic electric and then sell my HRD. Thanks for the info, sometimes I get into a rut and need to change my outlook or broaden my horizions.

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2