Skip to content
Anyone else get rea...

Notifications
Clear all

Anyone else get real nervous tuning their strings?

42 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

as a beginner it was a terrifying expereince.
now after many many years of changed strings it's no bother at all.
the string pokes still hurt and I can bleed pints.
the worst part of changing strings is going to the guitar shop to purchase a set or two; I can never leave with just strings...
I leave with GAS, picks, a new cord, and sometimes another guitar.

I just noticed the strings on my acoustic sound dull. time to get some gear.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

My wife gets nervous tuning the strings on her 'cello, though I can't blame her; each string is like $40-$60!

Yikes.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yikes, indeed! :shock:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

woah, that's real expensive for some strings
it's good you can't do bends on a cello.

on my guitar, I really don't have any worries, but I still don't do careless things. I never warm the stirngs up, and I've neevr snapped a string before. I did snap the high e one time, and it whipped the front of my hand, and I had a red mark there for several days.

I'm especially careful on othe rpoeple's guitars. My friend has this old squier, and i was really scared tuning becuase it had old rusty tuners and rusty strings, which didn't help at all.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

My wife gets nervous tuning the strings on her 'cello, though I can't blame her; each string is like $40-$60!

Yikes.
I forgot about cello and stand up bass strings. I payed less for a guitar awhile ago then she pays for a set of strings.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@blind_lemon_pye)
Trusted Member

Blind Lemon Pye - I just save the old set when I put new ones on so I always have a broken in string handy for if/when I break a string.

Nils, that's what I'm doing too, but it's always the same string (high E) that I break! That's why I've got several sets of low E, A, D, G, B strings :(

That reminds me : I read that Keith Richards never uses the high E strings (takes it off) Maybe he could use my sets? :wink:

If I'm not in the band
Don't mean I'm square
Mercury Rev - Car Wash Air

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yikes.
I forgot about cello and stand up bass strings. I payed less for a guitar awhile ago then she pays for a set of strings.

And you can get a non-big-name-brand bass guitar for about the same as a set of the upright bass strings!

Plus, the cello has friction pegs, so the contant joke is; "Man, didn't you guys ever hear of geared tuners?"

To which the reply is, "Hah, hah, very funny."

She did break one awhile back though. It went sorta 'thupp...' and just hung there. Luckily the strings, even that long, aren't really high tension.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

That reminds me : I read that Keith Richards never uses the high E strings (takes it off) Maybe he could use my sets? :wink:I believe that's incorrect. Keith Richards plays in Open G a lot, but doesn't like the "muddy" sound it can give when the low D is played. It's not the root of the chord, it's the fifth, and when that's on the bottom of the chord it gets a bit ambiguous. So Keef pulls off the low D sixth string.

(Open G, low to high, DGDGBD.)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Yah, open G without the 5th in the bottom. He tried that custom made Newman Jones 5 string but I guess it felt weird as far as the spacing was concerned.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Well, I just put new strings on my 6-string acoustic and managed not to stick my fingers!

What a great sound though; it's always a pleasure to put new strings on. It's almost like getting a new guitar.

Best

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member

I'm a newb, but I don't worry about it. It comes from hears of playing the violin. When one tunes a violin, one's face is pretty much in the line of fire anyway. ;)

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I'm a newb, but I don't worry about it. It comes from hears of playing the violin. When one tunes a violin, one's face is pretty much in the line of fire anyway. ;)

Oh yah huh? You're pretty much looking right down the barrel!

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3