Clear all

By the way

21 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well next time you're out this direction visiting, shoot me an email. I'll use my pathetic guitar skills and you can jam while I fake it :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@backtothefuture)
Estimable Member

... Hopefully (once I get my fiance out of college) I'll be getting some more equiptment after December or January, as I have always had GAS...

Welcome to GN. Although I'm relatively new myself, I've found a great bunch of people here.

As for the college thing...my wife and I are putting TWO girls through college now....but a least we have 2 incomes.

I think you have the right idea going when you say you've picked up old equipment on the fly. Some of my nicest guitars have been old, used, gifts.

Dennis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Welcome! I'm also a computer geek by day (and night actually). I think being a computer geek and guitar player (I use that term very loosely with regard to myself) kind of lead to each other.

Anyway, welcome to the board.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think you have the right idea going when you say you've picked up old equipment on the fly. Some of my nicest guitars have been old, used, gifts.

I cant complain. The Washburn was actually new when I bought it 2 years ago, and I really like the way it sounds. It just took some tweaking to get there. The squier amp is tiny and kind of noisy (not too bad...I think its a loose connection which I can easily fix myself), but its much easier to carry around than the 100w tube rogue. The rogue, for what it is, has a great sound on both the clean and overdrive channel, but the chorus gets a bit muddy. The Peavy rage was my staple for a long time because it was the first amp I got when I decided to get back into playing. The clean channel is great, but the overdrive leaves a lot to be desired, so I'm actually getting rid of it fairly soon.

Welcome! I'm also a computer geek by day (and night actually). I think being a computer geek and guitar player (I use that term very loosely with regard to myself) kind of lead to each other.

There is definatly something about playing that is very theraputic, and after dealing with users all day (sometimes I dont like them, but I wouldnt trade them for any other group because at least I know their quirks) sometimes I need a little therepy. I actually got back into guitar right after I started being the full time geek where I work right now.

No matter how badly I play, I'll always consider myself a guitar player though. Playing is about the love, not the skill. However, it will be a long time before I term myself an accomplished guitar player :)

Our songs also have the standard pop format: Verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, bad solo. All in all, I think we sound like The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

... and a girlfriend on bass! It doesn't get much better than that. It's worked for me for many years.

If you have an acoustic, bring it to work and see how many other musicians are around you.

Welcome to GN!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@gunslinger)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If you have an acoustic, bring it to work and see how many other musicians are around you.

I did one better than that last year actually. We went on a business trip so I brought my guitar and my Peavy amp with me. Well, we had a customer with us, and needless to say he was overjoyed that he had someone to sit and play with. He takes his acustic with him anytime he goes on trips, so I plugged in outside while we were on some down time having drinks, and we played nearly all of our down time. What baffled him even more was that most of the songs I could actually play at the time were from the 60's and 70's, which was right up his alley.

That's also when I found out that the only other person in the company that plays has put the guitar down for a while, which was kind of sad. However, I had an absolute blast on that trip.

Kurt Cobain

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2