Notifications
Clear all

Guitar Mags

18 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@margaret)
Noble Member

gadlaw wrote: after nine months of the guitar I don't know how cool it is going to the counter with the beginner guitar magazine, I have to slide one of those 15 dollar british guitar magazines on top of my pile so I can still look cool to the newly hired, soon to be fired book store employee.

LOL! I understand exactly what you're saying. Solution is--subscribe and receive Play Guitar! in the privacy of your mailbox! (And for less dough) :lol:

gadlaw wrote: not that easy going from Piano to Guitar? Darn blast it, I was hoping that after a decade or so of learning the guitar I would be able to slide right over and bang on the Piano in short order.

On the piano, every C LOOKS like every other C. And every C,E,G chord looks the same no matter what octave you play it in. NOT so on the guitar! Trying to memorize the notes on the fretboard boggles my mind.

Going from guitar to piano, on the other hand, might be a piece of cake.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

On the piano, every C LOOKS like every other C. And every C,E,G chord looks the same no matter what octave you play it in. NOT so on the guitar! Trying to memorize the notes on the fretboard boggles my mind.

Margaret
There's a flip-side to that though - On a guitar you can learn one barre chord shape and use it to produce that chord type for any root note, ie, if you can play F major barred on the first fret you can play F# major on the second, G major on the third etc. On a piano, that chord is a different shape for nearly every root note of the scale.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Margaret

You know, this guitar thing has left my mind in a constant state of 'bogglement' which in some ways I have become used to. I'm not forced to learn and there is no deadline on me so I let understanding dawn whenever it can. Time and picking it up every day is the only thing for it. Even that fretboard is becoming less confusing as time goes by.

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2