Clear all

How much do you practice each day?

68 Posts
45 Users
0 Likes
11.9 K Views
(@idiot85204)
Trusted Member

usually its around an hour but i also have a beginning guitar class at my high school. He gives us time to practice but I cant really focus so i wont count that.

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

not able to focus? Why? I can't even get a music theory class at my high school, too few people.

I really can't practice when I'm pissed off(hopelessly mood-driven teenager :D :evil: :( :D ), so during the year I get in about 1.5 a day, and 3-4 during summer

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I practice about 2-3 hours per day. I would practice much more but it drives everybody nuts. Somedays everyone goes out. Yeah! Then I can crank my amp.

I spend some time practicing technique, but I always spend time playing songs I know so that I don't get rusty.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

Depends week days is a problem between working full-time and also starting my study's again. i don't really get anymore time that 1/2 hour 45 min. normally I'd just jam in that time, now i use it for my guitar lesson preparation.

Weekends ALOT more time is spent probably about 5 hours Saturday and Sunday and a couple hours on Friday.

That's not counting the lazy days were i'm not picking it up at all, i use to play everyday for a couple of hours but life catches up and you have to make room for the other stuff :(

Minus Human

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Last summer I would "practice" 10 hours a day. It was mainly just learning some stuff and playing some songs. Not what many would call practice. I have trouble really focusing (I have ADD... ohh look, a guitar pick! I been losing those a lot recently, havent found any in quite a while. I need to go to the store and buy some soon and some strings. The strings on my acoustic have grown hair. Its disgusting. It still sounds ok though so its not a top priority. I have no priorities sadly. I need to get some. Thats why ive really been trying to find a good guitar teacher to set me straight. I cant do this crap by myself ive come to find. I dunno how im gonna pay for the lessons. I need to get a job but im probably not determined enough to find one. ehhh. Thats ok. Itll be a lot better once i get my licence. Im 16 but i havent even taken drivers ed yet. Thats how determined i am. Ok, the post. Right. This started as a joke but it got serious for some reason.)

I spend about 10 hours of really focused practicing a week. I play about 40+ hours on a good week. A great week (where i have nothing else to do) maybe 70 hours, for that week i would have about 30+ hours of somewhat focused practice).

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

On average an hour a day. At times I can go for a stretch of 4 hours. I could easily do 4 hours a day if I had the time. It would take me that long to cover my entire routine. As it is I have to break it up into segments and alternate between days.

https://soundcloud.com/hue-nery/hue-audio-sampler

ReplyQuote
(@call_me_kido)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Last summer I would "practice" 10 hours a day. It was mainly just learning some stuff and playing some songs. Not what many would call practice. I have trouble really focusing (I have ADD... ohh look, a guitar pick! I been losing those a lot recently, havent found any in quite a while. I need to go to the store and buy some soon and some strings. The strings on my acoustic have grown hair. Its disgusting. It still sounds ok though so its not a top priority. I have no priorities sadly. I need to get some. Thats why ive really been trying to find a good guitar teacher to set me straight. I cant do this crap by myself ive come to find. I dunno how im gonna pay for the lessons. I need to get a job but im probably not determined enough to find one. ehhh. Thats ok. Itll be a lot better once i get my licence. Im 16 but i havent even taken drivers ed yet. Thats how determined i am. Ok, the post. Right. This started as a joke but it got serious for some reason.)

I spend about 10 hours of really focused practicing a week. I play about 40+ hours on a good week. A great week (where i have nothing else to do) maybe 70 hours, for that week i would have about 30+ hours of somewhat focused practice).
Wow thats incredible, I play like 20 minutes a day maybe, and I still hold my own...you must be incredible. If I spent 70 hours in a week I would be killer.

Keep it up

Kido

ReplyQuote
(@gizzy)
Estimable Member

:? I guess about 7 hours a week most on weekends, But during the week while at work on breaks I will visualize a guitar neck in my head and go over some scales and will move my fingers will going over the scales in my head, This realy has worked when I can pick up my guitar I just go over all again but with a guitar works pretty good so when I don't have a guitar I visualize to Practice. :D

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Until my fingers bleed. :lol: I wish.

I practice about 2 hours a day. And yes, there are those occassional days where I don't become one with my guitar. They definately suck.

Then there are days where it seems that I never put it down.

Another thing I have done is to play to Frank Gambale's Chopbuilder dvd. It's like an aerobics workout for guitar. I try to fit that in every now and then and it REALLY helps out with my playing. But I wouldn't do it every day because I love to noodle around too much.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Wow thats incredible, I play like 20 minutes a day maybe, and I still hold my own...you must be incredible. If I spent 70 hours in a week I would be killer.

Keep it up

Kido

Actually im awful. I have a good feel for guitar and stuff but I just dont play anything that great. I never learned anything during that time. I just love to PLAY the guitar. Its so relaxing for me. Im not good really. Some times im ok but not that often.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

I've seen that a lot, though I believe you're humbling yourself Izz. People can practice a lot! But if they're not paying attentiona nd focusing, they could do arpeggios for an hour and get an indiscriminant amount of knowledge from it. But if you had quality practice, first of all, I doubt you could do an hour of arpeggios, your brain would bust like a broken pressure cooker, but you would be able to use everything you learned immediately.

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@david_mohn)
Trusted Member

Practice? :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@guitarchick)

Usually at least an hour a day, or if the family is out then I try to learn a new song and before I know it Ive spent 5 hours plucking away!

"Never discourage anyone who continually make progress, no matter how slow" Plato

ReplyQuote
(@odiewon)
Eminent Member

I just wish I could practice regularly without interruption.

I've got 3 kids and a great wife, and 2 dogs. Not to mention I work like 60-70 hours every week already.

I've been thinking about getting another guitar to put in my office at work. Hopefully I could get 5 or 10 minutes in on a break.

My schedule is very demanding. I am going to be making more time to practice. I just don't know where it's going to come from.

"Never holster an unloaded weapon, it's just poor form." - Col. Jeff Cooper

ReplyQuote
(@marshall)
Trusted Member

2 to 3 hours a day minimum! 8)

All you know about me is what I've sold you. I sold out long before you ever heard my name.
I sold my soul to make a record, Dip sh#t, And you bought one. ~Maynard James Keenan~

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 5