25 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Sad to hear that your recording got stuffed up Wes. :(

But that was a great piece of AC/DC on Youtube. :D

Chris

EDIT: I must be getting senile... I just watched the Who clip you linked to and it actually caused a tear to run down my cheek. :cry: I'd forgotten just how good they were... Wonderful stuff. Great drive and energy. I met Keith Moon briefly when he came to Australia in the 70s to do the local version of Tommy, and I can't say I was surprised that he didn't last long. :( Ditto for Bon Scott. I've got a photo that my then business partner took of him in the toilets at a local Tech college with his fly unzipped displaying the tattoo across his groin, looking very cheerful. :) Geez, all that was about 35 years ago now... Rock n Roll History... :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I find a lot of satisfaction playing 'Pinball Wizard'. It tells me to get the SJ-200 someday... 8)

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

But when we played back the recording it was terrible, the vocals were boosted way over the instuments. The problem was the guy recording could hear the live instruments and boosted the vocals up. We should have had headphones so he could hear the true mix through the board. The recording was not even worthwhile.

Wes, if you can get a digital copy made of the recording, try running it through some fairly heavy compression. That might help some

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Hey Wes...seeing as how you love your SG, have you played a Gibson SG Classic with P-90s? I had one and really loved it, but had to give up something to buy a different guitar. My deciding factors in taking it back were that I already have an SG faded (like you, I guess) and that the P-90s were capable of killing my ears at the volume I love. It was an excellent guitar, however, and this thread makes me miss it! :cry:

Also, people seem to love this beauty:

Fender TC-90 Thinline

I played one but didn't care for it as I thought I would. To be fair, the action was set too high and the one I played was slightly beat up. But still, I much preferred the SG to this one. I liked the solid body better, I think. The price on this one is lower, though. Of course! :roll:

Anyway, good luck to you! I know the feeling...

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Musica23

I am very interested in the SG with P-90s. But now I have my eye on this new PRS. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

Wes...have you played the PRS yet??? Just curious! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

We did make an attempt to record our outdoor gig a couple of weeks ago. We mic'd all the instruments and drums and ran them into the board and then into a 2 track recorder. We even had an experienced bass player run the board for us. But when we played back the recording it was terrible, the vocals were boosted way over the instuments. The problem was the guy recording could hear the live instruments and boosted the vocals up. We should have had headphones so he could hear the true mix through the board. The recording was not even worthwhile.

Sounds like a typical "board tape" recording.

The PA mix (at least in a small-ish venue) is way different from a recording mix, for exactly the reasons Wes mentioned. In an arena or stadium sized venue, the differences between a PA mix and a recording mix become less noticeable.

If your board has an extra mon/fx sub-mix available, that's an easy way to get a recording mix out of the PA mixer.

Alternately, what I used to do a lot when I was doing live-to-air mixes from a nightclub (back when I worked in radio) was to take a split of the PA vocal and instrument sub mixes (or if available drum, inst, vox, fx sub mixes) to my board, then added a few mics on stage for things that weren't in the PA mix (drum overheads, an especially loud guitar or bass amp)
Then I'd usually try to locate my board in a different room, or failing that, off to the side of the PA, where I didn't have to drive my headphones too loud to hear what my mix sounded like.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Wes...have you played the PRS yet??? Just curious!

No, but I've played a Gibson LP with P-90s and really liked it, just didn't have the money to buy it. :D

I am interested in the PRS because their quality is very good, probably better than Gibson's, at about 1/2 the price. I have played PRSs before, great guitars.

Sounds like a typical "board tape" recording.

The PA mix (at least in a small-ish venue) is way different from a recording mix, for exactly the reasons Wes mentioned. In an arena or stadium sized venue, the differences between a PA mix and a recording mix become less noticeable.

If your board has an extra mon/fx sub-mix available, that's an easy way to get a recording mix out of the PA mixer.

Alternately, what I used to do a lot when I was doing live-to-air mixes from a nightclub (back when I worked in radio) was to take a split of the PA vocal and instrument sub mixes (or if available drum, inst, vox, fx sub mixes) to my board, then added a few mics on stage for things that weren't in the PA mix (drum overheads, an especially loud guitar or bass amp)
Then I'd usually try to locate my board in a different room, or failing that, off to the side of the PA, where I didn't have to drive my headphones too loud to hear what my mix sounded like.

We have made several attempts to record our band to make a good demo CD, but it is very frustrating. I am kind of a perfectionist, I will do 50 takes if necessary to get the mix and volumes right. The rest of the band seems satisfied with very poor recordings. They do not like to play a song over and over again. This is a big difference between me and the rest of my band that has come up many times.

So we play a song and record it. I go crazy if the mix is poor or there are mistakes, they seem happy with it.

Here are a few songs we recorded on MySpace. They are horrible, I hate each song, I feel they are all very poor. The mix is wrong, our singer forgot lyrics, and even my own guitar is horribly out of tune on one song. I would never post this and actually hate to let others hear these recordings, they are not representative of our band. We really play very well, MUCH better than these recording represent. I wish I could convince the other guys to put the time and effort into a quality recording.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=93573739

I shouldn't have even posted these here, I believe you should always present your best work. But the other guys were OK with these recordings.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member

How's the PRS One thing going, Wes??? I owe you a big "thank you!!!" for helping me (by starting this thread) to get another Gibson SG Classic. My hubby saw this thread and broke down and took me to get a new one yesterday! It was our wedding anniversary Saturday and Thursday is my birthday, so he gave in and let me break my promise of buying "no more guitars for a year!"

I really couldn't be happier and missed it more than I realized! I hope your quest is going as well as mine did. I see that Elderly Instruments out of Lansing, MI has the PRS Ones in stock. I just received a black tweed Fender case from them and was very happy with the shipping and the price. Anyone had any experience with them re: guitars online??? They sure have a ton of PRS's just waiting to be snapped up (but most of their SE's are on backorder)!

I'm still waiting on my PRS SE Custom. Looks like it'll be at least September before it comes in. So technically, I still have another guitar coming before my time is up!

Anyway, Wes, thanks bunches for bringing the P-90 thing up. And I hope you get your One soon (if you haven't already)! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Nope, still haven't got the guitar yet, but that's ok. Not working quite as much overtime the last few months, so I don't have the money. But that's ok too, it's nice to have a full weekend in the summer. We get busy in the winter, I don't mind working when it's freezing outside.

Congrats on your anniversary and birthday, glad you got your SG. They are great guitars.

I am patient, I will get the guitar sooner or later. 8)

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2