Notifications
Clear all

My geetar has "character" now

25 Posts
22 Users
0 Likes
(@andrewlubinus89)
Estimable Member

Ah...everyone can relate to that. My bass guitar has a huge circle dug into the headstock from where I put a clame on it (stupid cheap clamp), tons of scratches over the body, cheap finish wearing off, and nicks where my fingernails hit the body when I'm doing the whole funk thing...I love my bass because of the detachment I feel for it. I can drag it along the ground and not care. Now my electric guitar.... :(

*fingers crossed*

A hoopy frood knows where his towel is....

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Some of my guitars have nicks from my fingernails racking across the neck or body of the guitar too. That reminds that it's time to trim them fingernails. My first guitar (black C.F. Martin Stinger) had bumper stickers all over it at one time then I took them off. Sratches everywhere. Covered one ugly scratch/ding with a sticker and left the other scratches because they look cool.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All my guitars are nicked up and scratched. That is the way I like them. Sorry, not trying to be offensive, but a guitar kept in perfect condition is kind of sissy to me.

However, I do not like a dirty guitar. There is a difference. So I try to wipe my guitars down often. Sounds gross, but you get that film on the body where your arm rests on the body when you play, and buildup around the frets. I clean that stuff off.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@steves)
Estimable Member

On Friday my wife looked at my Strat and pointed out a few scratches and dings. My daughter and I share the guitar - she takes it to her lessons - and I think my wife thought I'd be upset. No way - adds character is exactly what I told her! :)

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

I'm with Wes. My Ibanez has got a ton of pick marks and the pickup covers are getting worn cos I play it heavy. Sometimes i tend to really really work that guitar and play it hard and it's getting the pick marks to prove it. It's jet black, so the scratches are soooooo visible. But i love it.

On the other hand, I HAAAATE when it gets smudges and fingerprints. My mom was wondering why I polish it so much when it's got so many scratches and marks on it. Scratches add character, smudges look unprofessional. I despise a smudgy guitar.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@mad_guitarist)
Eminent Member

the finish on my guitar is so that you can't tell if it's dirty or not. :lol::lol:

i call it "accidental anger incarnate w/ matching headstock" :twisted: she plays like a dream though! 8)

I don't want you to play me a riff that's going to impress Joe Satriani; give me a riff that makes a kid want to go out and buy a guitar and learn to play.

— Ozzy Osbourne

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

None of my guitars are dinginged up yet, but I know it's inevitable, like the certainty of Death. As long as they sound good still it won't matter to me! Most of my guitars are cheap anyway, so they'll be cooler a littel dinged up.

Way to go on your reaction to the whole situation, though. Your level-headedness demonstrates character.

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

I love a guitar with a few nicks in it. now...anger incarnate maybe goes a little far :D but I don't mind finish wear/scratces/the odd ding here and there.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@todds)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well Todds I suggest you call a good divorce lawyer ASAP and then let me know how the rabbit stew came out!! :wink:

That's hilarious! I'm just afraid that if I divorce her, she'll get the rabbit and guitar in the settlement.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Can you play "She Got The Gold Mine, And I Got The Shaft"?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2