Notifications
Clear all

My habit involving guitar picks...

27 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@mrodgers)
Trusted Member

I chew on my pick as well. Not chomping, but I find myself putting in my lips to hold and tapping on it with my front teeth.

Also, even with the snack nibbling, I'm only on my 2nd pick that came with my acoustic guitar when I bought it in 2005. The first one has a split in it.

When I bought my electric (wifey actually, for this past Christmas) I got a bag of picks of various thickness, around 20 or so picks. They are the oblong shaped (for lack of a better description) instead of the 3 side symetrical shape of the original picks I have and I don't like them. Thus, I don't put them in my teeth...... I poke them up in my gums in front of my teeth and chase the kids around the house like I have fangs and I'm going to bite them :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Metal fingerpicks can make you look like Freddy Kruger, Jr. Or Mini-Wolverine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I've been putting mine in my ear ever since reading an online "be a guitar god in 10 days" tutorial suggested it as an effective method for developing ear-hand co-ordination.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Picking a guitar with a pick in your ear would make a crowd go wilder than Jimi's doing it with his teeth.

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Wow I've turned a defect into a feature, just like Windows.

It just stays strapped to my arm, sometimes I forget it's there. I usually keep a couple on me and one in each gig bag.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I remember when you were experimenting and had that pick stuck in an apple!

ReplyQuote
(@1armbandit)
Estimable Member

Rico I think that must have been that young man you were working with. Mine have always been mechanical in nature, cause that's my nature. :lol:
An apple would be good to put in your mouth though. Maybe not after beating it on the strings for an entire set.

Jack

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You're right. I just about forgot I know TWO one armed guitarists! :D

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

i sometimes stick them to my forehead like a bindi. i did that once at a gig and people started laughing. it didn't even occur to me that i was doing something weird, it was just a habit.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

i sometimes stick them to my forehead like a bindi. i did that once at a gig and people started laughing. it didn't even occur to me that i was doing something weird, it was just a habit.

Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick often stuck a pick to his cheek (as a tear) during the "...hear you crying" line in "I Want You To Want Me"

And I saw one concert recording where he tossed a pick in the air after a solo and caught it in his mouth.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I put it into my lips sometimes if I'm working on something and playing, like recording or looking at a book, etc. I sometimes I get really focussed and start looking for it and other times have played something with a pick and then put it into the familiar lips position only to discover the previous one I put there. :roll:

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I prefer mine with milk and a bit of sugar

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2