Notifications
Clear all

New Resonator

39 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@saber)
Reputable Member

Wow, those are insane looking. I don't think I've even heard one before.

"Like the coldest winter chill. Heaven beside you. Hell within." -Jerry Cantrell

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Tough choice.

Speaking purely from looks alone I think the Fender just wins it for me.

Good luck. Let us know which one you finally choose.

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@redneckrocker)
Estimable Member

Guy I work with has got the Fender except acoustic only. It sounds sweeet, of course alot of that is his playing, but anyway it's definetely a nice guitar. He brings it in to work and I bring my acoustic. I'll play a shuffle 12 bar while he solos over me, it's awesome.

~Mike the Redneck Rocker.

"The only two things in life that make it worth living are guitars that tune good and firm feeling women" - Waylon

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

pass on the Fender. they arer really horrible sounding and playing resonators.
the Regal is only a little bit better.

you should save your money and get a Paul Beard Goldtone. they look as nice if not better than the Fender
and they sound and play great. and only a few bucks more.

disclaimer: I have a National resonator.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I agree with Dogbite on this: The word among reso players is that Fenders do not measure up in terms of design or sound if one is looking for a good resophonic instrument. However, if you like it as it is -- mostly for its stage presence, electric tone and playability, then it might do for you.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

disclaimer: I have a National resonator.

:lol: I know of a couple of people with the original 1930s models and they won't even go near the National Resophonics. They both own metal ones.

From my limited experience, I would avoid the Fender and continue looking. You'll probably also want to ask Ricochet about replacing the cones on any budget reso.

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Perhaps, this could be of interest?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Greybeard! That is a NICE resonator! And I really like the fact that it's vintage!

Check out this little baby...........

They start at only $1550...........

I can see that I've got a lot more decisions to make! Y'all are really helping!! Thanks!

One more question for those of you who know about these things......... The cones.......... they either come with a single cone or tricone (three smaller cones, with two on the bass side and one on the treble)........... any opinions on which might be best?

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@duffmaster)
Noble Member

Why not looking at Agile Resonators? They look nice and a priced nicely.

Who needs a signature?
I mean really...
It's almost always lyrics...
or a cliche...
or garbage about me...
Lets just save YOU from the pain, ok?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

One more question for those of you who know about these things......... The cones.......... they either come with a single cone or tricone (three smaller cones, with two on the bass side and one on the treble)........... any opinions on which might be best?

No better or best, just different like Teles and Strats -- play good versions of both and see which you like better for your style.

Gibson/Dobro's Hound Dog (Dawg) models are supposed to be solid, working guitars. Might want to check those out.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I have the Gibson Hound Dog, and except for the fact that it's currenetly having a broken headstock repaired.(Fell over!AHHH) I am very happy with it. About double your price range though.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Geez, Kathy -- Careful with that thing! Is this a recent acquisition?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Geez, Kathy -- Careful with that thing! Is this a recent acquisition?

No, I actually got it a couple of years ago. We had a broken water main in March, and we were scrambling to get all the instruments out of the basement. I leaned it against the wall, and she went down." Wow, I thought to myself, that made a wierd noise", and when I picked her up, the stock was cracked right off the neck. I've just been procrastinating taking it in to get fixed. Fortunately,(or not) I have other guitars to play!

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I'm just learning all kinds of things about resonators! Thank y'all! :D I really do appreciate your help!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

i suggest taking a look at Johnson brand resonators. They looked nice in the pictures. I don't know too much (nothing) about resonators but came across them while mandolin hunting. They also have a resontor mandolin...interesting.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3