Notifications
Clear all

Recomendations for strap locks?

16 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@corbind)
Noble Member

It's a lot easier installing with two people. I just installed one last night on a buddy's guitar. Usually I cut the slit on the strap into a circle shape to accomodate the strap lock. Then I put super glue on the washer, attach nut, then crank it down with a rachet set. Wait 24 hours and use the next night. The nut on the strap locks will (in my experience) get loose and you could possibly drop your guitar.

Also, often the screws they give you with the locks are smaller than what is currently on your guitar. That is a problem because you can't use the screw that's originally on your guitar because the head of the screw is generaly too big to fit on the lock. I went to Ace Hardware to purchase two special screws and cost about a dollar. One of my friends to the original screw to work and ground down the outside of the screw head to make it fit the strap lock. Kind of a pain but worth it in the end.

My friend's strap on his Gibson Explored failed twice on Thursday's practice. The first time the neck of the guitar literally crashed to the floor. It didn't crack but scared both of us. The second time it fell he caught it but vowed to get the strap locks and now they're install as of yesterday. :wink:

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2