Notifications
Clear all

SRV

44 Posts
24 Users
0 Likes
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Vai and Satriani were exellent players, but IMHO, they just werent as musical as Hendrix or SRV.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member

Another question regarding his tone. How do you guys get a good SRV tone? Any help for those of us without big stringed strats and tube screamers?

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
 Kyle
(@kyle)
Reputable Member

My favorite SRV song by far is Lenny. Then maybe his cover of little wing would follow. In terms of SRV tone, get a low watt tube amp and crank it to eleven with a tube screamer and a wah pedal.

The meaning of life? I've never heard a simpler question! Music.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

And get the Fender Custom Shop Limited Edition(100 copies made) SRV Tribute guitar(of couse if you have the cash :roll: )

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

I like SRV.

I like Hendrix.

I can not begin to compare the two. Both are great.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Stevie favored his middle pickup (out of three single coils). Then, when the time was right and the solo got fierce, he smacked his switch and selected the Bridge over the river Vaughan pickup. 8)

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Thats weird because I hate the middle pickup unless its mixed with the bridge or neck.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

Good thing you're not Stevie Ray then. :lol:

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Wildly different players. Technically I would say SRV was better. But that's just one part. To me the biggest difference is the emotion: both obviously played with their heart, and it shows: SRV is much more upbeat and happy then Jimi Hendrix. They both were awesome and inspiriring guitarists, no idea who is better in the end. Don't care about it actually. Jimi's Red House in Sweden, on a SG, is just 'weird'. COnstantly drifting around, coming back, getting lost. Really shows his totally unique style.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

Ya... SRV and Hendrix were both totally different players...

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@hairballxavier)
Estimable Member

Stevie was more of a blues purist than Hendrix. He really stuck to the blues form. Most of his songs are 12 bar blues.

ReplyQuote
(@simonhome-co-uk)
Prominent Member

I think the best players mix technique with actually using it musically. I think Hendrix was the best player ever as he'd use his ability and put it so such amazing use and the things he did that, at the time were, origional. Whereas someone like Michael Angelo is probably the best in terms of his technical ability and the mind blowing things he does but his 'music' isnt really musical at all, its more a spectical.
I've never really got into SRV, not my kinda music.

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member

^ I agree with simon, exept for one thing, once again, SRV Rules! :D SRV was more focused on technigue.. If you see videos of hendrix playing live, youll see that he was focused on what came out of his guitar, not technigue

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

every new guy is going to sound like he has better tone than his predecessors, simply because he has better equipment to work with.

most of are you experienced was first or second take on equipment which is fairly primitive.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 3