Notifications
Clear all

To people with more than one guitar

63 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I think 18 is a good number too ..... :lol: My wife doesn't seem to mind too much. I am running out of places to keep them. Most of them are lower end and or bargains I just couldn't pass up. I do have a couple Gibson Les Pauls and several mid ranged ($400 - $600) instruments. I have collected them over the past 17 years. The first 13 years I played I was real poor and had one or two at a time. Amazingly though, I still resist the squire 51 that calls to me. :?

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I resisted for a long time but I got a real bad case of GAS. To resist is futile :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

i have 6, i think they all have their own purpose

The Martin - my "main" guitar, i play it live, i play it at home, i play it for most anything
The Seagull - when i'm feeling sensitive and fingerpicky, i pick this one up
The Fender - this one is my downstairs guitar. when i finally get my own place that's just mine, it will be my "living room" guitar always out on a stand.

The Strat - the go-to electric for most anything
The 51 - blues, baby
The Ibanez - eh, im cooling on it, which is cool cos i just got new Armstrong pickups for it. hehehe.

soooo, i basically have 3 guitars that are my faves...the martin, strat and seagull. but that doesnt mean i dont play the others, cos i do. on any given day i could play 3 of them. i like having a bunch, lots of variety.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@vanzant38)
Reputable Member

I told you, bare minimum. Although I did leave out...

The Breedlove passport, for around the campfire
The 1970 Martin D-12-20 for the different but classic sound
The Yamaha silent guitar for travel
The Grammer for that Nashville feel
The Washburn EA-36 for when you don't know if you want acoustic or electric

and electric guitars don't count do they?

Still 18 is a reasonable number of guitars to have.

18 is a perfectly reasonable number. 19 would be more reasonable.

My dad would always talk about retirement, and allude to the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. And I say all you've got at the end of the rainbow is death. You're riding the rainbow right now. - Mark Borchardt

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

My moods change and so do my guitars,

I'll play my Buckel for awhile then the 335 calls my name (in a bluesy Etta James voice) then the DeArmond screams at my saying Bo Diddily, Bo Diddily, after that the Washburn acoustic and Dean acoustic 12 whisper to me, "where's your sensitive singer-songwriter side hiding?"!! Then the SG gets REALLY bent out of shape and sarcastically says that I "Won't Get Fooled Again". Meanwhile, the P-Bass tells everyone, "Cool out, lets get into the groove and chill."

No wonder my wife says that I can be a little wishy-washy sometimes..... :lol:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I think 19 would be more reasonable.

There is a formula for GAS.

f=x+1

Where f=the optimal number of guitars and x=your current number of guitars.

I'm like TR, many of my guitars were great bargains and too hard to pass up. I didn't really go looking for them, they found me. My Fylde was $300, the Martin was $500, the Breedlove less than half of retail for a small finish crack, same with the Taylor. In fact the only one I paid retail for was the Collings and that actually had a couple of bargain guitars traded in on it.

Next time my wife says anything I should tell her how much I SAVED by buying these guitars. Yeah, sure, that'll work.

Hey TR, have you ever considered doing temporary swaps of your guitars? We could be like Blockbuster video, except you bring in one and you get one of equal value for a couple of weeks. Then you bring them back and get your original back.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Actual scientific research (Williams & Erhardson, 2003) concluded that the following formula would calculate the perfect ammount of guitars everyone should own: '(A / 2) - 3 '. Final outcome rounded downwards.
A = Age of each individual.

This would mean Nick is 42 years old, which seems to be about correct judging the avatar. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

According to that formula ...... I need a couple more guitars! (46/2) - 3 = 20
f=x+1 would give me 19 though. :? Squire 51 huh? :twisted:

Nick, I don't know about the blockbuster thing. I'm protective of my babies. :lol: Add my son's 6 bass guitars and one electric and my house is like living in a music store. I like it :!:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I'm 51. Got to round up for the 1/2 guitar the formula predicts, right?

Actually, I'm pretty close to that if we count what's in the house. Most of 'em are really my boy's. He plays a whole lot better than I ever will, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@clazon)
Honorable Member

I've been in the possession of 3 guitars at the same time and I have to say I haven't stuck to one of them. The first one was a Strat copy with a whammy bar and was my first ever guitar. The second was very nice to play, but a bit boring, again a strat copy. The one I havent let friends borrow yet is the newest one, the tele copy.

So no, I dont stick to any one guitar! :D

"Today is what it means to be young..."

(Radiohead, RHCP, Jimi Hendrix - the big 3)

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I only have a few, but I tend to switch them in and out a lot.

The real one exception is my strat.

I love how it plays, I love the look of it, I love how it sounds ... but it's just not the right guitar for the kind of music I most frequently play.

But it's my favorite for doing scale and arpeggio practice . . .

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I'm 51. Got to round up for the 1/2 guitar the formula predicts, right?

Or maybe you could pick up a Ukulele or a Mandolin, and call it even! :lol:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Got one of each of those. Enough, I think.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Still 18 is a reasonable number of guitars to have.

Well, 18 is a good start anyway ...

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

One has to start somewhere....

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5