Topic starter  

Bad Moon Rising (C)
Proud Mary (A)
Down on the Corner (C)
Hey Tonight (E) - From Wes's post

General Savage

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I play Bad Moon Rising in D, and Proud Mary in G; DOTC in C, like you, and I've never really got around to playing Hey Tonight, but I'm going to try it this weekend. There's a tricky bit in the middle of Fortunate Son I've never quite been able to work out, but apart from that, I can play along with pretty much all of the CCR Greatest Hits I've got - and quite often do!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Proud Mary in D

Bad Moon Rising in D or G.

Born on the Bayou - E7

Have the ever seen the rain - Still to learn...

I will check out the other songs.

CCR is one great band to listen to. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Vic - Fortunate Son is just four chords, naturally dependent on the key you choose to sing it in. If I recall correctly, the original is in G, so it would be:

G (one measure - four beats)

F (one measure)

C (one measure)

G (one measure)

We had a lot of fun at the last Riverside Jam with this one, playing it with more of a kind of mix of New Orleans funk and R&B flavor - think if the Neville Brothers or Dr. John played Sympathy for the Devil and you'll be on the right track. :wink:

This must be in the ESD, right?

As for the original question - at some point I've probably played every song on the CCR Greatest Hits disc...

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Bad Moon Rising
Proud Mary
Up Around the Bend
Suzy Q
Have You Ever Seen the Rain
Who'll Stop the Rain
Fortunate Son
Midnight Special
Heard It Through The Grapevine
Down on the Corner

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Vic - Fortunate Son is just four chords, naturally dependent on the key you choose to sing it in. If I recall correctly, the original is in G, so it would be:

G (one measure - four beats)

F (one measure)

C (one measure)

G (one measure)

We had a lot of fun at the last Riverside Jam with this one, playing it with more of a kind of mix of New Orleans funk and R&B flavor - think if the Neville Brothers or Dr. John played Sympathy for the Devil and you'll be on the right track. :wink:

This must be in the ESD, right?

As for the original question - at some point I've probably played every song on the CCR Greatest Hits disc...

Peace

Yeah, the rhythm chords are easy enough - but in the middle section, there's some kind of little descending run I can't quite suss out. I'm playing it in G....

(G)some folks are born, (F)made to wave the flag, (C) Ooh, they're red white and (G)blue.......

The bit I'm stuck with is after the second chorus (millionaire's son).....sounds like he's using only a couple of strings round about the 12th fret, with a deeper, droning G note....like an open string....but it sounds like the G note you get by playing the E string at the third fret.....

I'll work on it later - and no, I don't think it is in the database. If I can work it out, I'll tab it out!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Use to play Lodi .. must go back and try to remember.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@bgdaddy316)
Reputable Member

The band I'm in plays Proud Mary, Bad Moon Risin' and Green River.

ReplyQuote
(@sdolsay)
Reputable Member

Vic,

Maybe this link can help a bit on that tricky part, not sure if it shows what your looking for though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWCvKKVeffE

Scott

I havn't found my tone yet, and I have no mojo....but I'm working on it :)

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

I've played many CCR songs back in the day even did a medley
with one band.

Lately I've been working Lodi and when ever I feel a
need to jam I love to throw on Grapevine and have at it.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

Gave a listen to Fortunate Son and I think the interlude that Vic is talking about is:
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
B - - /6 - - /5 - - 51 - - 1/3 - - - - - - - - - - - -
G - - /7 - - /6 - - 62 - - 2/4 - - - - - - - - - - - -
D - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
A - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
E - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'm not sure if I'm hearing it right, but I think there's another guitar in the background (in addition to the bass), which is just pounding away on the low G note. This makes it all very interesting because the second chord would become an A7 (without the A) or C#dim if you wanted to think of it that way and totally changes the mood for the brief moment it's there.

I also thing that the addittional guitar is in open G tuning, because the G note sounds like an open string, especially when the phrase is repeated, right before going into the last verse.

Anyway, back to the thread in progress...

Last April we (myself, Nick and Greg, otherwise known as "gnease", and a few others) did a gig here and managed a very nice version of Who'll Stop The Rain. Nick might actually have that posted somewhere...

Peace

PS - Had to edit the first pair of notes because (idiot that I am) I had them on the wrong strings! Sorry... :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Re - Fortunate Son - I think I've figured it out. What happened was, I changed the key from G to A - suits my voice better. I found that the low droning note is the open A string....this would make the interlude something like this.......
E------------------
B------------------
G-12--11--7--7/-9--
D-14--13--9--9/11--
A--0---0--0--0--0--
E------------------

Which is fine if you're playing in the key of A but if you want to play in the key of G - the original key - you're going to have to downtune the whole guitar one step and play it in A! Listening to the song, that sounds exactly what he's done....I've down tuned, and the voicings sound right - or pretty close, anyway!

I think I'll continue playing it in A - it suits my voice better, and I'll be damned if I'm messing about tuning to DGCFAD to play one song!

Anyone else care to try and shed any light on this?

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

"It Came Out of the Sky" is my favorite CCR song. I'm working on it now.

ReplyQuote
(@progressions)
Reputable Member

I play Bad Moon Rising and Lodi, and I especially like Wrote A Song For Everyone. Beautiful tune.

Jeff

Isaac Priestley: World Racketeering Squad
http://www.progressions.org/
http://www.youtube.com/worldracketeer

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

I've only played Born on the Bayou & Who'll Stop the Rain. Must learn a few more!

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3