Skip to content
What kind of guitar...

Notifications
Clear all

What kind of guitar stand do you prefer?

33 Posts
17 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)

I have been pricing the triple guitar stands on eBay and I've noticed that there are MANY different kinds of stands. I have just the single stand like this one but I am looking to get one of the triple stands.

However I have seen the hangers, A-Frame, racks and the list goes on. I was wondering if the hangers were bad for the necks of the guitars or if the A-frame stands tip over easily?

One thing I did noticed...by keeping my guitars on stands in the open I tend to play the more (like several times per day!) as opposed to when I used to keep them in the case (which I do know is suppose to be better for the guitar). So I guess stands server a better purpose! :lol:

(@bford)
Reputable Member

Hey Mikespe, here is my two cents worth. With my first guitar, acoustic, I was given the A-frame stand and really like it. For my second guitar that I just got, electric, I was given the stand in your first link. I thought I would like it as well as the A - frame but I don't. I started using it to hold my acoustc instead of the electric. It seems to tip forward as I place the guitar in it. When this happens it sort of smacks the back of the neck and I cringe everytime that happens. Although, it looks like it would stow easier if you travel much. It collapses to a smaller area than does the A-frame. I may switch back to my acoustic on the A-frame. I will say that the A-frame I have seems to be built very strong and wouldn't have any trouble holding a heavy axe. Both of the holders I have have the brand name Ultra on them.
I have heard that the hanger brackets don't harm the guitars as long as they are used/moved every once in awhile. My son-in-law has his on hangers and has never complained about warpage or the like. And if you have the wall space I like how they compliment the room like a good picture does.
And I also agree with your statement about the guitar being played more if it is out in the open to be seen. It helps to keep your mind on playing it rather than loosing focus and not playing much because it is as they say, "Out of sight, out of mind."

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
 Moai
(@moai)
Estimable Member

I have a stand like in your first link and I love it. I think that it cost me twn bucks. I have seen ones just like that but will hold three guitars on Musician's Friend before, too.

I like this stand because as you said, it seems to make me want to play it and makes the guitar almost a piece of sculpture in my house; guitars look cool!

Mine's begging to be picked up right now, so...

Bettie Page is the most beautiful woman who ever lived. You better recognize, G!

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Got two straight racks, one for three guitars and another for five guitars. Works fine for both accoustic and electric, and saves tons of space.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Mike I have a few like the one in your first link. I got them during a moving sale for my local shop for like $6 each. I love em since they are lite, stable and pack real nice. They are primarily stage stands but work good in the house.

Unless you get a bottom weighted or long footed A frame they are not real stable.. I almost wiped out a guitar at GC putting it back in an A frame.

As far as racks go just make sure it is for say 3 or 5 guitars not 3 or 5 positions. If it is positions you can only get 3 guitars on a 5 position rack. If it is 5 guitars then you can put 5 guitars on it.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

Mike I have a few like the one in your first link. I got them during a moving sale for my local shop for like $6 each. I love em since they are lite, stable and pack real nice. They are primarily stage stands but work good in the house.

Unless you get a bottom weighted or long footed A frame they are not real stable.. I almost wiped out a guitar at GC putting it back in an A frame.

As far as racks go just make sure it is for say 3 or 5 guitars not 3 or 5 positions. If it is positions you can only get 3 guitars on a 5 position rack. If it is 5 guitars then you can put 5 guitars on it.

OH..I'm real happy with the racks I have now...but I just talked to my Mom today and she said she'd get me a new guitar for my birthday in 4 weeks! 8) 8) 8) 8) She said that would make a nice gift (she is always asking me what she should get me and since my tastes are so expensive I just usually tell her don't worry about it.

So now I am going to either have to get another single stand or invest in the triple one. I thought about hanging them since I don't really have anything on my walls and I have cathedral ceilings but I am not sute I trust them.

Then of course I'll have 2 empty stands AND you KNOW I am just going to have to fill with guitars! 8) 8) :roll: :roll: !!!!!!!

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Then of course I'll have 2 empty stands AND you KNOW I am just going to have to fill with guitars! 8) 8) :roll: :roll: !!!!!!!

That's the reason I buy single guitar stands! :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Our friendly admin Nick buys them in bulk packs

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Thats why I buy big racks...

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I use single stands (one of the ones I have is identical to your photo). More guitars... more stands.

My wife is talking about getting someone in to make display boxes for the walls in my studio - so they could be displayed, up out of the way, but I could have access by lifting open the front door. I'm not sure if I like that idea or not... but I like that she's always thinking about my guitars :)

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

I now use the 'String-swing' wall hangers. Space saver for me and I like the way it looks too.

I don't use the supplied sheetrock hardware. I screw right into a stud.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

I guess I can say I use them all. I have one like in your photo, a double version, and a samll Fender stage stand. There was a thread about this receintly and people were using wall mounts and string swings. I liked the idea of the string swing so I went to my local and he had some used ones for $7. I bought 4 and have 1 on a stand and 4 hanging. With them ahnging I have wall art and more room.

John M

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

What exactly is a "string Swing"? I thought I posted pictures of all the most popular stands?

ReplyQuote
 geoo
(@geoo)
Famed Member

Mine is kind of like the first one you posted but it doesnt have the U shaped holder at the bottom. Instead as you set the guitar down on the top U shaped holder, it closes and makes a D shape so that it cannot slip out. The body of the guitar rests against the legs, which are padded. I love this stand and have purchased two so far. They have a three guitar model as well. I couldnt find a link to it or I would have posted it. When I get home I can post the brand name if you are interested.

Geoo

“The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross and which to burn” - David Russell (Scottish classical Guitarist. b.1942)

ReplyQuote
 300m
(@300m)
Reputable Member

Here is there site

string swing

John M

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 3