Notifications
Clear all

Which Fender or...

22 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I should check the location sig more often :D My father had to come down here too 30 years ago.

If you can get down into Toronto some weekend, you're welcome to have a look. Otherwise, good luck and happy hunting :)

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I own G&L and Reverend guitars -- but USA versions of each, not Asian. They are very good instruments, though the G&L S-500 is the definite favorite of my collection. It's both a player and a wonderful tone machine (G&Ls std. MFD pups). I would not expect G&L or Reverend to sell a bad guitar, Asian or US. I have tried a Tribute S-500. My only issue was somewhat "catching" fret edges along the neck. However, many guitars seem to have this issue, and it is pretty easy for a tech to fix -- bargain for it as part of the setup, should you find this issue on any guitar you would purchase.

I have a difficult time recommending Reverend as a mail order purchase. The materials, design and execution are great. But I judge it to be a hit or miss guitar for many players. The feel is pretty much Fender, but the tone is beefier with either the P90s or the 'buckers. I have a Slingshot with P90s. It's a great rhythm guitar, very live and "in the moment" given the acoustic nature of the design. The tone is great for thick slide or a driving strum. It's more warm than jangly, and does not sound anything like a Tele or a Strat. Most people love the neck, as it has a really smooth, broken-in feel, much like a well-played Fender. I think this is supposed to be a specialty feature of Reverend.

Enough rambling -- for trad country tone get a Tele (Fender or G&L or ...). A large hollowbody -- Gretch, Ibanez knock-off of Gretch is good for country swing. Of course the real truth is that as for blues, jazz or rock, you really can use almost any guitar for country. BTW, the Strat was originally built for country players -- go figure!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

look for a Highway One tele. very nice parts. lots os twang. has the balls for good blues playing. 595$american.
I own one. its a killer guitar.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gutfiddle)
Reputable Member

I picked up a used MIM tele on ebay for $250, has some scratches but is a player, got a brand new Hot Rod deluxe and i can do a perty good Merle haggard or Roy Nichols. I would say your gonna pay more for a good tube amp and u can pick up a decent fender tele for around 3clams. I wouldnt play anything else after playing through this HRDeluxe. But again alot of the country sound is in the technique, Ive seen guys play Les Pauls that would make my hounddog step off the porch.

Thinkin' bout the times we had
Some were good and some were bad
guitar fightin' the tv
i was thinkin bout you and me

ReplyQuote
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

tele and a hotrod :D

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the input so far guys as for a second amp thats probably around June,I haven't been asked to tour with the stones yet(I think Keith lost my number!).It will be a tube amp but which one is a question for another day!

GG

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2