Clear all

Mixing pickups? (LP mod)

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so basically I want to transform this (left) into this (right)...

Now, in order to do this I'd have to do some serious butchering of the guitar. But, thankfully for me (and the guitar), they make FilterTron style pickups in a humbucker size, and P90 style pickups in a humbucker size.

http://www.tvjones.com/tv_tron.html
http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/specializeddescr.shtml#phatcat

I see you've noticed the mini toggles near the vol/tone knobs - one is for making the middle pickup in-phase/out-of-phase and one is for splitting the neck. These are just some ideas and may or may not be added later.

Now, the middle position on my guitar is the middle pickup paired with the bridge pickup, out of phase. When I put the TV'Tron and the Phat Cat in, will the mixing of the two different pickup types result in a bad middle position sound?

Epiphone Black Beauty Les Paul 3-pickup (Hawk)
Marshall DSL401 run on clean channel

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Comments/questions:

Do you know what each of these pups sounds like individually in the positions being considered? For example, the TV-Tron seems better "featured" as a neck pup. The P90 could work really well in either neck or bridge, but probably is the best choice for center. Same with the 'bucker. I think you should consider the possibility of moving the pups around to achieve the best overall sound.

As far as combos of pups goes, I would make sure you are able to select each pup individually, as each has such an individual and desirable character. Ideally, to achieve all combos, each pup would have its own, three-position toggle for on-off-out of phase. Coil tapping is another consideration. Of course, this doesn't really fit the LP design. A great compromise would be a five-way LP style toggle that would allow Strat type combos. That would give you 1, 1+2, 2, 2+3 and 3. But I've never seen such an animal (Anyone?). Then you could use push-pull pots to do phase switching or coil tapping. This would avoid a lot of drilling.

Good luck - Greg

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Okay, so, is there any way I could have normally:

Rythm: Neck
Middle: Neck + Bridge
Treble: Bridge

Like a standard 'Paul, but then flip a toggle and have:

Rythm: Neck + Middle
Middle: Middle
Treble: Bridge + Middle

Simple yet complicated, haha

PS: Push/pull pots aren't my thing, I like mini toggles, not a big deal for me to drill into my guitar and it makes it look "hot-rodded".

edit: Another idea if the above isn't possible is a simple on/off switch for the middle pickup - this could make it a bit of a pain in some ways because the other pickups would have to be turned all the way down to just have the middle on.

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Just in case anyone wants to know, this is what I'm gunna do

This'll give me a standard LP configuration (Neck/Neck+Bridge/Bridge) until I flip the middle pickup switch, or what I like to call the "Hot Rod" switch. This will turn on the middle pickup, and add it to whatever pickups are already on (Neck+Middle/All Three/Middle+Bridge). I can also flip the switch the other way and make the middle out of phase with the other pickups. Oh, and to have the middle only on, I simply turn both volumes down.

I think I'll be a very happy camper.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I find the switching/knobing a bit cumbersome, but if it gets what you want, go for it. One suggestion: Go to a master tone control (connect it directly to the output jack) and give the P90 a volume control.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@modestcargo)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I find the switching/knobing a bit cumbersome, but if it gets what you want, go for it. One suggestion: Go to a master tone control (connect it directly to the output jack) and give the P90 a volume control.That's a thought, I'll think about it. Thanks.

ReplyQuote