Tube volume vs. Solid state

24 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

If I may clairify a few things:

I asked about tube volume vs. solid state in order to learn something.  I have no experience playing with tube amps other than trying a few for a couple seconds at a music store.  

The tube preamp I talked about is not a separate unit.  All amps (combos or heads) have a pre and power amp.  The Mode 4 simply has two different preamps with two channels each.  So you have a clean channel, a crunch (like the JCM 800s), OD1 (metal, nu-metal, etc.), and OD2 (for Detuned).  Check out the website for more info.

I meant that I played it in my basement at low volumes and it sounds great.  If fact, last night I did a taste test between it and my Marshall 40watt Valvestate, playing at the same volume.  They both sounded geat but the Mode 4 had the whumpf (the feel that grabs you by the heart).

Being too loud: I agree that bands often go too loud.  The solution - agree that everyone will listen to the soundman.  The guitarists are biased.  Fortunatly for me, the Mode 4 has a solo boost button on the footswitch so I can get my solo volume higher by simply stepping on it.   ;)

The bottom line is I wanted and amp that will do it all.  Coffee house to auditorim.  My band has its own PA that we run with two 1500 watt poweramps.  And we know how to use them properly.  

Most importantly: Chicks dig it  8)

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Blutic 1- I honestly did not mean to insult you or your amp. Hell, If I had the money, I'd probably go out and buy one myself. They do look impressive on stage, and look is important to a Rock Band. Better stay away from the ladies though, you're a married man!

I just feel bad for the young guitar player who shells out $1500-2000 (or his parents) for this powerhouse amp and finds out he can't turn it past 1 1/2 before the neighbors are calling the cops. And because he or she can't turn it up, he can't truly get the quality sound of a tube amp.

Hey, I like loud. You see the little one-liner I wrote on my profile. When I was much younger, my younger brother and I had a band. People were always shouting for us to turn it down. He would always yell that remark back. I thought it was hilarious, especially because it's true, and have always remembered it. I should have followed it up with "WHAT DID YOU SAY???!!!"

So, if you are in a working band, and often play in front of large crowds, it's a great investment. But for just the basement, it's overkill.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

Well even if you were pure solid state I think you'd be at least as loud. You're a little over 2.5x his wattage anyways.
The signal still goes through a solid state power amp though, right? How much the preamp allows the signal to slowly curve up before reaching the solid state power amp's clipping point I don't know.

I can't quite figure out how many speakers your Marshall has  ???

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@blutic1)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I don't think anyone insulted me or anything, I merely wanted to point out that people should try to stay on topic.  If someone is asking questions about stacks, talk about stacks.  If someone asks a general question like "what kind of amp should I get?" then I say debate the heck out of it.  If you look at other posts you often see the tail doesn't match the head.

The Mode Four is just like every other stack, it has the head (which is sort of like two heads in one box), and the cabinets.  Each cabinet has four 12" speakers, just like any other.  There are two kinds of cabs.  The MF280 A(slant) & B(base) is for full stack use.  The MF350 (Slant or base) is for halfstack use.  The MF350 handles the 350watts by itself at 8 ohms and costs a little more.  The MF280s handle 280 watts but work fine for halfstack use as well.  I got the MF280 (slant) so I can add the base later and have a full stack.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I use to believe I need the biggest and baddest amp around to get the sound and tone I was looking for. As I've gotten a little older and have redirected my thinking on this subject. The main change was being able to control the power out of a million watt amp to utilize the power at any volume, thus allowing me to have control over every aspect of my sound. A  power attenuator will allow you to get that cranked sound at reasonable listening levels.

Sometimes bigger and badder isn't always the ticket. As others have said smaller watt all tube amps will put you heaven. This link below will give you an idea what a small amp will produce, Scroll down to my post. GuitarNoise link

Which should give you ideas on what to look for in sound or tone. hope this was right for the question asked.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Hey Joe-  Where ya goin'......  sorry

Joe- Nice blues guitar. You play well. I also listened to some other recordings of yours on another post somewhere.

I too have been playing a long time. I've owned the 4 x 12 100W stacks. This may sound bad, but a lot of times they are just for looks. I'm able to get a better sound with a smaller tube amp. I'm way past dreaming about being a Rock star. I just care about getting the best sound possible.

The last 10 years or so, I've played in several bands playing the alternative, grunge, or whatever you want to call it sound. Lots of down tunings. It's good music, but I seem to be going back to Blues myself.

The reason I bring this up is, for the newer sound, solid state amps are probably better. Tube distortion is great, but it can't compete. Right now I use a Danelectro Fab Tone to get the grunge distortion and it's great, well at least for rhythm. Tube distortion still cuts better for lead.

So for all the great talk about tube sound, if you want the modern distortion you will probably be dissatisfied.
However, if you're into Blues or Classic Rock, a tube amp is best.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I have loads of equipment, everything from effects pedals to amps and everything in between. Your right it all depends on what your playing and what you want to sound like.

Oh yes, lol.. I know about using stack Marshall's in the back-line just for show. When I think back of the time that only one 4x12 of the 4 to 8 behind us worked. But it sure looks impressive...lol Oh the good old days.

Now days I use a rack mounted pre-amps that allow for either tube, solid or both voicing. which allows me changing between the two Midi, then running stereo I use a carver for my center that I use to monitor my playing and tube amps with the wet signal for the left and right.

With blending just the right amount of dry and wet togethed make sound seem to come from everywhere.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I play a Marshall Half stack

the head is a DSL 2000 and I use a Marshall PowerBrake to connect the halfstack  -- - - -thats pure power right there- it lets you play at 9 or 10 and control the output of the speakers - -  so your always enjoying your tubes the way they should be enjoyed -  CRANKED UP

ReplyQuote
(@stock28)
Estimable Member

Forget the question...Forrok_star, where can I hear more. That was incredible.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2