How did you all get...

Notifications
Clear all

How did you all get started?

22 Posts
18 Users
0 Likes
(@metallica83)

It all started with my brother, he bought a tiny little student acoustic and i would play it ocasionally. Then he bought a full size acoustic and he left it here for a while while he was in college. It was just sitting in the corner gathering dust, so i picked it up and i learned alot of stuff of the internet and got pretty good. but since i thought acoustic was kind of wussish(no offense) i decided to buy an electric since im sort of a metal head....

so i bought a $240 ibanez starter pack off the internet last christmas...and here i am now. :D

Posted : 09/02/2006 10:35 pm
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

HOW I GOT STARTED PART II
M y first guitar "I think" was a Telstar & an old Vox tube amp. I banged around on it for a while before forming a band in our hood. We called ourselves RAM because I'm an Aires. We played alot of our own stuff witch was Punk, only we dident know it at the time. But we did manage to learn our first song all the way through, GOT TO CHOSE by KISS. we played in hot smelly garages and patio's for other kids untill one day I tied a scarf around my neck and I was carrying my Telstar with me to the mirror to see how cool I loked. Thats when it happened! I was walking through the doorway...CRACK!!! I broke my guitar, the headstock broke and RIPPED the trus rod straight out of the back of the neck. This was about 1976. I was 13 and I cried like a baby.

Somsthing I'd like to add at this point. I came along late in life for my Dad, I was 13 my oldest brother was 33 and I had lost a a brother 9 years erlyer to an overdose. So in 1976 my Dad was pushing 60. Let me grow my hair & never complaned about the music being too loud. My Dad is still alive today & still pretty cool. He worked at DECA RECORDS in the 50's needless to say he had quite a collection of 45's I've still got some of the Less Pauls like Meet Mr. Callihan,Guitar Boogie and Auctioneer with Marry Ford. I think this is a good place to stop for now but I'll finish this up in a Part III.

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

Posted : 11/02/2006 4:53 pm
(@dudley-doright)

........when my 11 year old son wanted to learn how to play the guitar. That was 8 years ago, and he gave up 6 months later. So, I ending up with his acoustic and I decided to try playing it. I never really got serious in playing until about 2 years ago. I always wanted to learn Blackbird and I thought it was impossible to learn it but after doing the lesson here, I could now say that I know one song perfectly. BTW - this is how I discover this forum and I am very happy to be here.

Posted : 13/02/2006 2:23 am
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member

HOW I GOT STARTED PART III

I'm gonna go ahead and make a long story short. I dident mean to get so carryed away draging this out but once I got started, I just wanted to share!

Well guess what? Dad bought me a used Les Paul Deluxe. I learned a lot more songs, started getting Gigs and had a great time. I had been using this mug's Marshall half stack (along with a LPB-1 for added balls) for so long that I felt it was mine until he came and got it. That was a major blow. No way was I able to come up with 500. to replace it. About that time I began spending a lot of time with my girlfriend Janey. The guys hated her, I couldent even go around them without Eric our drummer constantly puting her down. Quite frankly, I was having a lot moore fun exploring her than I was with thoughs Idiots. So I just stoped jaming with'em. I started hanging out with a crowed that was into way moore than smoking grass and weekend acid trips. Things went from bad to worse. I started having kids, put the guitar up, and it was later stolen. I'm gonna leav it at that! THANX!!!

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

Posted : 14/02/2006 5:06 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

How did I get started? In the late 50's / early 60's there were so many great guitar groups around, playing everything basically clean - make a mistake and everyone hears it. There were people like Duane Eddy, The Ventures, the Shadows, etc. etc. In the very early 60's, I met a guy called Trevor Shoesmith, who played lead for a local Leeds group - he had a '62 Strat in a sort of salmon pink (at that time, many imports were resprayed by Selmer to the customer's ordered colour) along with a ver early 60's Vox AC30. I had been given a true beast of a guitar for Xmas, that, with the best will in the world, was only going to be mastered by superhuman strength (this is the guitar that is now my slide guitar). My parents had pity on me and bought me the guitar and amp that Trevor was selling - a Höfner V2 and a Gibsonette 8W valve amp (both of which I still have). The guitar is to be seen on the vintage hofner site ( http://hofner.mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/solids/sol30.html ) - for those Britons of a certain age, I was told that it belonged to the Dallas Boys after being bought new by Tommy Steele. Those were the days - Trevor worked for Scheerer's music shop in Leeds and I had the run of the back rooms - Oh, the amps I could have had!!!
Anyway, I was at that age where hormones are at boiling point and my attention turned to other things (none of which we will go into, as this is a family oriented site). The guitar and amp got put away.
Fast forward 35 years. I discovered that I suffer from OSA - a sleep disorder - and had been living in a semi-comatose half world for years. I got help and suddenly woke up to a working brain!! I needed to learn something and I came up with the notion of going back to the guitar. And that's just what I did.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 14/02/2006 7:18 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sorry, double post

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 14/02/2006 7:22 pm
(@nolongerme)
Honorable Member

My grandma got me a guitar. I never played for the longest time, then one day i was bored and picked it up. I played on and off for two or three years. Then i decided to learn for the girls. I wonder if there are alot of girls out there that are learning for the guys?

Posted : 14/02/2006 11:48 pm
Page 2 / 2