Clear all

Another new addition to the family!!

25 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@sgincyqx)
Honorable Member

Looks Rottweiler to me, maybe Lab

Ewan McGregor: I said, "Eve, I want you to look after my wedding ring while I'm away," and she started to cry and I said, "Eve. Eve, I can't wear my ring or I won't get laid on the trip!"

Posted : 22/07/2007 6:30 pm
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

And, yes, Vic, I do have cats! Four of them!! :D One of them won't come anywhere near the puppy, two of them have smelled him and run away, and one let him get close enough to actually touch him before he got swatted!! Such brave cats! Afraid of a pup half their size!! The one who swatted him is really curious about him and stays pretty close so that he can observe this strange intruder! He's working his way closer and closer and I think he may be the one to actually make friends with the puppy! If the pup is going to be a big dog, I definitely want him to be friends with the cats!!!
They'll get along fine.

We used to have an adopted stray mutt named Minnie, a border collie/beagle mix by appearance. Stayed under the back deck most of the time unless someone was going for a walk. Cally the cat took a liking to her and would go and sit under the deck with her, just quietly enjoying the company. She would bring rats from the dairy barn down and lay them beside Minnie's food dish on the back steps. Minnie got sick and died on May 10, 2005. Cally disappeared for about 2 1/2 months. Then she started coming back around. On May 9, 2006, Cally was on the back deck at the crack of dawn. She'd neatly laid a rat on the back steps, right where Minnie's food dish used to be. I doubt a cat understands a calendar or the concept of an anniversary, but the same time of year and same kind of weather (beautiful and sunny) must have made her think of her dead friend. She's brought rats in memory of Minnie several times since. I found one yesterday, in fact. Nearly 2 1/4 years after Minnie's death.

When she brings US rats as presents, she lays them in front of Mrs. R's favorite chair on the deck, or in front of the door. I harshly shooed her away while I was doing something on the deck last summer, and she acted like it hurt her feelings. She immediately left and went quickly to the barn, like she was leaving in a huff. But she came back in 5 minutes with a freshly killed rat and gave it to me, to patch up whatever she had done to offend me. She's a sweet cat! She's long hung out with me whenever I worked outside or in the basement. She's not afraid of anything I work on, and I have to really watch out for her with things like running engines and pots full of molten lead.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 22/07/2007 8:43 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Pretty cat, Ricochet! And, a great story! Animals can definitely build up an affinity with another animal! I knew these people who had a Great Dane. Then they got this tiny, little kitten. That huge dog LOVED that kitten and would carry it around in her mouth by its whole head! That poor kittens head was rarely dry! They would sleep curled up together and that dog was SO gentle with that kitten! It was fairly amazing!

:D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 24/07/2007 12:07 am
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Well I'm still waiting for these two to get along...Tommy the Terrible 9 as I call him) is still a puppy and is a bit to hyper for the cats. So far all they have done is swatted at him although the cat does like to lay in front of him and make him bark.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

Posted : 24/07/2007 1:36 pm
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Well, the boy puppy finally has a name! He is Gideon!!!! :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

Posted : 25/07/2007 1:32 am
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

He's getting used to his new home and is having loads of fun exploring!! His little tail goes about a mile a minute!! And, his breath smells like coffee! :D I love puppy breath!! :D

And, yes, Vic, I do have cats! Four of them!! :D One of them won't come anywhere near the puppy, two of them have smelled him and run away, and one let him get close enough to actually touch him before he got swatted!! Such brave cats! Afraid of a pup half their size!! The one who swatted him is really curious about him and stays pretty close so that he can observe this strange intruder! He's working his way closer and closer and I think he may be the one to actually make friends with the puppy! If the pup is going to be a big dog, I definitely want him to be friends with the cats!!!

I was really kind of hoping, though, that he would be a medium sized dog! Big enough to take for walks without having to carry him home, but not so big that he eats like a small horse! And, if he's going to be big, then we've got to break him of having to "live" in my lap!! (He's snoozing in my lap right now!)

And, Ricochet, he's already "christened" my rug!! But, now we're making regular trips out the back door! He MUST be housebroken!!! I've got an acre of land, so he's got lots of room to run around and take care of "business"! (Right now, though, he won't get more than a couple of feet away from me!)

I've been thinking about names, but nothing seems quite right yet! I guess I'll just wait until the perfect name pops into my head! For now, he's "little boy puppy"!

Thanks for all of your suggestions regarding possible breeds! It doesn't really matter to me what his lineage is! He's just cute, sweet and smells like a puppy! But people always ask about the breeds and I have no earthly idea!!

EDIT: You know, Chris, the more I think about it, the more I like the name Gibson!! He kind of looks like a Gibson! We'll just have to see if he answers to it or not! :D
I've got chihuahua's EB, and we regularly go on 4 1/2 mile walks around the lake with them, and no one gets carried, they love it so even if he is small he'll walk as far as you let him. Those blue eyes would tend to make you think he has some malamute or husky in him but sure doesn't look like it from the shape of his head or his coloring.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 25/07/2007 1:58 am
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member
Topic starter

The last dogs I had were Peke-a-Poos! The white one (Puff) weighed 9 lbs. and the black one (Baby) weighed 5 lbs. I ALWAYS had to carry them back after about 6 blocks or so! :D Fourteen lbs. of dog gets heavy!! (Especially on the 9 lb. arm!!) :D

¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´

Posted : 25/07/2007 2:40 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

I love dogs :D They look like Rottweilers to me. We have had Chows for the last 25 years. They are very sweet dogs. Just raise them right and thy will be great dogs :D Dogs are after all just GOD spelled backwards :wink: Did I say that I love dogs :D 8)

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 25/07/2007 3:01 am
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Gideon's a good name.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posted : 25/07/2007 4:30 am
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

He looks more like a Kenny Wayne to me :wink:

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

Posted : 25/07/2007 1:20 pm
Page 2 / 2