Clear all

Guitar Noise Strumming Tutorial CD

69 Posts
51 Users
0 Likes
21.2 K Views
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter

As many of you know, I've been trying to work on our first Guitar Noise tutorial CD and the good news is that I think it will be ready to meet the public later this fall. But before we can do this, I do need some help.

For those of you not familiar with this project, our first CD is about “Strumming.” Here is the working outline of the CD:

Intro
Tuning (getting in tune with CD)
Time Signature
4/4
Notes - whole, half, quarter and eighth
Strumming quarter notes
Strumming eighth notes
Basic 4/4 strumming patterns
3/4
Basic 3/4 strumming patterns
Speed - How strumming affects perception part 1
Bass note/strum - using root of chord
Bass note/strum - using alternating bassline
Bass note/strum - using walking bassline
Arpeggio strumming (think "house of the rising sun")
Triplets
6/8 and 12/8
Arpeggios with triplets, 6/8 and 12/8
Basic blues shuffle
Palm muting
Blues shuffle with palm muting
Anticipations - How strumming affects perception part 2
Partial chords
Partial chords with palm muting (think any Neil Young)
General genres (rock, reggae, folk, ballad, etc.)
Examples of all types and combos

Now, what I need to know is how much interest there actually is in this. I'd like to find out whether or not I should produce these individually or en masse (and this will naturally affect the asking price of the CD).

So, suppose that we were asking between $12 and $15 (including shipping) for this tutorial CD – would you want one? Here's your chance to preorder and let me know. You can also let me know if there's a topic I've missed!

I am hoping that you will find this CD to be of the same educational caliber as my lessons and columns here at Guitar Noise. After all, we do not want to put our name on a product that doesn't live up to the standards we've already set here on our site!

Let me know what you think. Also, let me know whether or not you'd be interested in CDs on other topics. We're currently exploring the following topics: Intro to Fingerstyle, Intermediate Fingerstyle, Basic Theory, Intro to Electric Guitar, Beginning Electric Rhythm Guitar, Beginning Lead Guitar, Beginning Bass Guitar, Chord Voicing, Intro to Alternate and Open Tunings, Intro to the 12 String Guitar and Basic Songwriting.

I want to stress that this is not an official request for preordering, I am just trying to figure out what it's all going to cost so that I can make the sale price as low as possible. Who knows? Maybe we can get it under $10 if there's enough interest.

I look forward to hearing from you. You can either reply to me here or use the forum's Instant Messaging service or write me directly at

[email protected]

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas.

Peace

Posted : 22/08/2003 4:02 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

My eyes lit up when I saw this post ;D (and the first one I read today).  The index looks great.  Seems like most players develop the left hand well but don't have a wide variety of right hand strumming techniques and tempos.  I know something like this would definitely be a great help for me.  So even if it's $15, I'd be willing to skip a good dinner and eat dollar hamburgers at Wendy's a couple of nights and shazam:  money to buy the cd!

Economies of scale will drive the per unit cost down.  If it costs $1,000 to produce the cd and only 20 people bought them, that would be $50 a cd.  If a hundred people bought them that would drive the cost down to $10 apiece.  I have not looked lately but I suspect there are about 2,000 registered memebers.  If we estimated 5% of those would be interested in buying the cd that would be 100 people (not taking into account guests to the site).

It's tough to forecast sales of something but I'm sure you'll have sufficient demand.  From hangin' out on this site for over a year now I've seen the quality of lesson presentation and have no doubt the "regulars" will pick up the cd quickly.  Further, when it's all finished and advertised on the home page of the site it will get seen by lots of people.  You get a billion hits a month (well, not that much but a wicked amount, nevertheless).  I think the only hurdle is for those who have tight budgets or may be in school to find a way to scrape up the cash.

I thought I saw Paul write awhile back in the newsletter that you graciously plunked down a sizeable chunk of money out of your own pocket to get MP3 files up on the site for all of us.  Seems like some of the money from the cd sales should pay you back for the purchase and make it a GN owned recording device.  Man, you said fall, huh?  Hold on, I'm ripping the daily pages off my calendar, August 14, 15, 16....October 29.  Aha, it's fall now. Is the cd ready yet?  Is it ready!!!!!  (is it ready yet?)

;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 22/08/2003 5:18 pm
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'm in

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

Posted : 22/08/2003 9:42 pm
(@p_allen)
Estimable Member

Sounds great and I don't doubt that this will be a top notch product - count me in.

Just one question: Would there be literature to accompany the CD or is the CD linked to the stuff here on the site?

I've long thought Guitar Noise should produce tutorial material. The site is brilliant but I don't always have a computer nearby.

What would be great is something on Blues but I'd be interested in Intermediate Fingerstyle, Lead, Basic Theory, Bass, Chord Voicing, Open/Alternate Tunings, 12 String, and Songwriting. Hold on a sec... Ah, what the hell, I'd buy them all.

At that price I could probably start my own library too. Not too long ago I paid 25 quid (that's pounds) for a book/cd on fingerstyle. It's great but that isn't the point, I could buy 3 of yours for that price.

Keep us posted,

Pete. :)

Why Do Other Peoples Shipbuilding When you Could Go Diving For Pearls Of Your Own?

Posted : 22/08/2003 10:31 pm
(@Anonymous)

I would gladly buy one!  One question: what methods of payment are y'all thinking of? Credit card, paypal, money order?

And I have a suggestion for another tutorial CD....slide guitar.  It's hard to find (good/any) instructional material on slide.  Especially in-depth.

Posted : 22/08/2003 11:49 pm
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I've purchased a couple of Troy Stetina's rhythm books that contained a cd in each.  There were like 30 tracks showing different things.  I like the idea of splitting exercises into many, many tracks because you can put your cd player on repeat to do the exercise over and over.  Say if you had 30 actual guitar tracks I was thinking it would be good to have 30 tracks preceding them with narration.  So track one would say something like "This is exercise 1:  alternate picking.  Notice the brighter or higher-pitched sound when you use the upstroke. . .blah blah blah."

Something that will explain what will be on track two.  Kinda point out the important learnings.  Then a person goes to track two to listen for the first time.  Then put track 2 on repeat or go back to listen to the narration on track 1 if it wasn't clear.  Track 3 would be narration and 4 playing.  All odd track narration and all even actual strumming exercise.  Just a thought.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 23/08/2003 12:47 am
(@gandolf)

sounds good!

Posted : 24/08/2003 1:31 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I'd definitely be intrested.  I feel strumming is the weakest part of my playing and the hardest to get right.  With some practice I've been able to learn much of the fingerings and transitions, but strumming is consistently giving me problems.

Posted : 24/08/2003 3:09 am
(@alangreen)

Hi, David,

There is no substitute for being able to listen to how something is done, and the proliferation of tutorials coming with CD's attached so you can hear the results you're aiming for is proof of that.

You/ GN could make a fortune out of this, David.

I'll have one.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

Posted : 24/08/2003 8:47 am
(@jamusic2002)

Sounds excellent.   I can fingerpick but I don't have much confidence in my strumming ability.  This is exactly what I have been unknowingly waiting for.   :D

Posted : 24/08/2003 9:02 pm
(@lunarist)
Trusted Member

Count me in Dave. Looks like this will be a really cool CD.

Thanks,

Lunarist

Posted : 24/08/2003 11:58 pm
(@Anonymous)

LoL mabey this really is a madhouse... ;D

Anyway I'd be interrested. Sign me up.

Posted : 25/08/2003 4:16 pm
(@stephen_brown)

Thanks David,

Save one of those CDs for me.

Steve

Posted : 26/08/2003 9:39 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey David, you said you'd like to get an idea of how many people have strict intention of buying the product for say $15 shipping included.  Seems like it would be a good idea to freeze a "preorder cd" intention post at the top of this forum.   Well, just underneath Nick's user agreement.  That way it will stat up there until the product is ready.  Also you'll get the names of all the users who want it.  Finally, you can tally up the number of people who say "I want one" and that can at least let you know how many you need (at the very minimum) for the first production run.  Just an idea.

Posted : 26/08/2003 7:12 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Or use a Poll, which would take less space.  Having the specific names isn't that useful for pre-ordering - it's not like David will hunt you down if you back out.

... but Nick might...

-Laz

Posted : 26/08/2003 11:56 pm
Page 1 / 5