Clear all

Riverside Jam 2005 Mystery Man

99 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
30.9 K Views
(@lauralasley)
Estimable Member

Celt! Missed you this year @ RJ2K5! Maybe next year? And hopefully when it's East Coast again...

Posted : 18/08/2005 7:25 pm
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Thanks Laura,

I missed seeing you all too

Celt

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

Posted : 18/08/2005 8:00 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm starting to put together the website of pix and stuff, and I can't seem to find the 4th set song list (Tony et al).

Anyone know who played what after Ashley and before Anne?

Laz

Posted : 22/08/2005 9:24 pm
(@davidhodge)

I know it started with Rio De Tenampa. Tony on acoustic, Pete on bass and some idiot with a melodica.... :wink:

Other songs from the set, but I don't know the order or complete personnel:

Back In The USSR

One After 909

Jenny Jenny (867-5309)

Tore Down (Greg and Tony swapping great leads!)

Sunshine Of Your Love

I'll post more if I think of them, but I don't think there were an awful lot more...

Peace

Posted : 23/08/2005 12:19 am
(@annie)

in order from the official list (but someone needs to tell me if they actually played all these songs in order):

Rio de Tenampa: los lobos
One After 909: beatles
Goodbye Girl: squeeze
Back in the USSR: beatles
Crosscut Saw: albert king
Jenny Jenny: tommy tutone
Keep Your Hands to Yourself: georgia satellites
Sunshine of your Love: cream
Don't Worry Baby: los lobos
Tore Down: freddie king
Steppin' Stone: monkees

I played bass on both goodbye girl and jenny jenny, and i only went on stage once, so i know the order is off.

live free, love much, think deep

Posted : 23/08/2005 12:42 am
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Thanks David and Annie!

If someone would contact Tony and confirm what really happened, that would be great, otherwise I'll just post Annie's list for now.

It probably won't get posted until mid-Sept. I'm still looking for more pix, although I have about 300 so far.

Laz

Posted : 23/08/2005 1:25 am
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Well, I know the set list was not played in the original order because I heard "Tore Down" flowing from the speakers outside the gig and knew that I was scheduled to be playing guitar on that song very late in the set (ahhhhh!). The last song was "Sunshine of Your Love" while "Rio" was first.

Dan, I'm sure many of us are anxious to see the pics you've been gathering. Very nice of you to take over that duty. :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

Posted : 23/08/2005 2:17 am
(@davidhodge)

Stepping Stone made the actual set. I remember that. Goodbye Girl didn't and neither did Don't Worry Baby. And I'm almost certain that Keep Your Hands To Yourself got lost in the post-Ashley reallignment. Crosscut Saw might have happened - I seem to remember a couple of blues numbers but I've heard Tony do that many, many times so I might be confusing things (it's kind of like asking if Moondance or I'm A Believer was in your set... :wink: )

I'm pretty sure that's everything. But, of course, you could eliminate the middle man and email him yourself - his @ddress on the general RSJ mailing list.

Peace

Posted : 23/08/2005 12:21 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Pretty sure Crosscut Saw was dumped. I was supposed to play that plus Tore Down, but am positive I played only Tore Down.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 23/08/2005 5:54 pm
(@annie)

now, i may be flighty, but i do know that we played goodbye-girl because i was on bass for only 2 songs and that was one of them....

live free, love much, think deep

Posted : 23/08/2005 9:14 pm
(@davidhodge)

now, i may be flighty, but i do know that we played goodbye-girl because i was on bass for only 2 songs and that was one of them....

Absolutely right on that - totally my brain conking out here.

Peace

Posted : 24/08/2005 1:23 am
(@jbrownstein)
Trusted Member

Well, I just got back and I never should of left, yeah (where'd ya go?)

From RSJ 2005 I went on a business trip for a week in California. Let me sayit was very strange to be wearing shorts and tees on Sunday on a riverboat while jamming away and then getting up the next morning only to wear a suit and tie ;-(. I long for the bad old days.

Soon as I got back from California, I got a message on my cell telling me to come to the hospital cause my 9 yr old, Eric, broke his arm in two places at camp and required surgery, so I've been focused on family the last two weeks and haven't had a chance to write.

I really enjoyed playing with all of you and appreciate all of the talent that comes together in one place. Couple of special thank yous:

1. Thanks, Greg, for providing instrument transportation, supplying the guitar riffs du jour.
2. Thanks Dennis, for your somewhat involuntary use of your guitar when a string broke. I honestly thought it was Greg's and apologize if any bad mojo rubbed off on it.
3. Thanks, Anne for getting this organized and getting MaryEllen involved. As far as the teacher voice is concerned, maybe next year you should try the original SNL teacher voice..."class, Class, CLASS, SHUT UP!"
4. THANKS, MaryEllen!

After reading all of the posts and e-mails, I add these thoughts:
Every year that I've played with you folks, I come away learning something new, trying something new, and with a revitalized spirit and desire to play.

Ditto Greg's remarks about Anne. She is, bar none, the steadiest, most solid drummer I've ever played with. She is the Human Metronome. We have the makings of a "super hero" band. Mr. Ultimate in Funky, The Human Metronome, and Jimmy Mutron. Any other suggestions?

I can take a turn on drums for next year's jam to spell you, too, Anne.

David and Karen, I have the utmost respect for the risks you have taken to make music a living. Your constantly expanding collection of instruments and the ability to play them is astounding.

Kathy, keep on rocking. Would love to play a set with you and John in a future jam. Your twists on the songs in your sets are tasty, creative, innovative and wonderfully executed.

To all, thanks for a great time and a re-energizing experience.

Jeff

The unexamined life is unworth living - Aristotle

Posted : 24/08/2005 1:23 am
(@jbrownstein)
Trusted Member

I can't say enough about Greg's playing. His touch and tone and layering adds the correct emotion to anything he plays. It's an honor to play with you Greg.

The unexamined life is unworth living - Aristotle

Posted : 24/08/2005 1:37 am
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Jeff,
I hope your 9-yr old is doing well. Ouch! That's a terrible way to end the summer!
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

Posted : 24/08/2005 10:03 am
(@smokindog)
Illustrious Member

probably far off, but i say smokindog

and if im wrong, please forgive me smokindog :lol:

I'm totally flattered :lol: :lol: Sounds like a great time. Maybe I'll work on geting a "Southern Jam" going down in South Carolina :idea: cnev and I are getting together about once a week and working on some tunes with the Idea of doing some open mic type things, maybe we could expand on that idea a bit :?: Thanks for posting the evidence,...err....i mean pics :P
The community T.V. thing with the celt would be a cool thing for Minneapolis next year :D --the dog

My Youtube Page
http://www.youtube.com/user/smokindog
http://www.soundclick.com/smokindogandthebluezers

http://www.soundclick.com/guitarforumjams

Posted : 24/08/2005 10:28 am
Page 6 / 7