Clear all

They Came, They Saw, They Jammed.....

55 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

ah, you'll have to plead with Dan and Laura for the photos, they took them. I was enjoying things too much to really bother with photos or recording. Regret it now, though. :oops:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 25/03/2008 4:48 pm
(@dogsbody)
Prominent Member

Hey Vic & Scrybe!

Did we Southwesterners down here in freezing cold sleety Gloucestershire miss out on something over the bank holiday. It sounds like you all had a great jam up there in Liverpool.

I didn't manage to get near my guitar over Easter. Doubt if Rodders did either.

Lets see the piccies then ASAP and good on you two

All the best

Chris

The guitar is all right John but you'll never make a living out of it! (John Lennon's Aunt Mimi)

Posted : 25/03/2008 9:08 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Well, I am a New Yorker .... but ... Big Apple? Sorry Vic, would not ecpect you to know, but New York is a big state and New York City is a long ways away from me. I actually am closer to Montreal and Toronto Canada. I live right on the Canadian border. If you wish, google the St. Lawrence River. That is my home. Dogbite ... I might not actually be much farther from you than New York City. :lol: Let me Map Quest that. I will post a follow up post.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

Posted : 25/03/2008 11:51 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK Dogbite ... you are about 1100 miles from me, NY City is about 300, so a bit closer. Still though, far from my house. :D

Posted : 26/03/2008 12:11 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well, I am a New Yorker .... but ... Big Apple? Sorry Vic, would not ecpect you to know, but New York is a big state and New York City is a long ways away from me. I actually am closer to Montreal and Toronto Canada. I live right on the Canadian border. If you wish, google the St. Lawrence River. That is my home. Dogbite ... I might not actually be much farther from you than New York City. :lol: Let me Map Quest that. I will post a follow up post.

ooops...... :oops: .......big to us, definitely! I think Great Britain's less than a 1000 miles long......no, when you said "New Yorker" I thought you meant the city, not the State!
Lets see the piccies then ASAP and good on you two

oops again.... :oops: .......yes, I took my camera - and didn't take one single picture! I can't believe it! I just got so carried away with the music.......

Dan and Laura took a few I think....but you'll have to wait for them!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/03/2008 12:34 am
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

In order to get to TR, you have to go to the middle of nowhere and then take a right for quite a spell. :lol: :lol:

Sounds like a great time over there across the pond. 8)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Posted : 26/03/2008 2:51 am
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

Actually Vic, I'm a bit dissapointed you didn't do "Dumped". ! 8)

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

Posted : 26/03/2008 10:42 am
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Actually Vic, I'm a bit dissapointed you didn't do "Dumped". ! 8)

Funny thing about that - I had the camera with me, as I said; I knew I hadn't deleted "Dumped" after uploading it. So I found what I thought was the right song and showed it to Laura; unfortunately it turned out to be an outtake where I played a wrong chord and followed it with something totally unrepeatable on a family forum. Laura cracked up laughing as I turned a redder shade of crimson.......

:oops: :oops: :oops:

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

Posted : 26/03/2008 2:02 pm
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Nice. Riverside Jammers do get around, don't they? Almost viral.

-=tension & release=-

Posted : 26/03/2008 5:17 pm
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

We've just landed, and this is the first post I've read - and it's very funny and loving and accurate. We met Vic at the Cavern (rebuilt) of Beatles fame, but only stayed for 10 minutes, as we wanted to play more than site-see.

Sara is a gracious host - she even let Laura play her best guitar - a beautiful mahogany Martin acoustic. And Vic was playing a carved-sided guitar he bought from Nick. Talk about small world.

Inside reference from way back - I borrowed a bass from Roy W! He is alive and well and married with a cute and clever 18-month daughter.

From the Hodge archives, we played "Winter", "Nancy", "Lobster Quadrille", and even "Things Happen" (David cringes), which Vic thought was a catchy tune that was going to bounce around his head all night. Vic is a fun guitarist, both rhythm and lead. Next time he needs to bring words and chords for his originals. And we'll play more Beatles, I promise.

We did the Riverside Special with "The Weight", with Laura and Vic trading verses. Vic has just the right amount of scotch and cigarettes in his voice to sing Crazy Chester perfectly.

As Vic said, Sara has a killer version of Little Wing. In fact, Sara is an outstanding guitarist, with excellent lead guitar chops. Laura told me later that she could see Sara smiling with delight as she worked through solos for unfamiliar songs. I hope we get to see her trading licks on the Riverside stage someday soon.

I'll post the one picture as soon as we unpack.

Vic has promised that there will be a Merseyside Jam this August (actual date to be determined very soon).

And there WILL be a next time for us as well.

Many thanks again to Sara and Vic. You are both wonderful. Good luck with your future projects.

Posted : 26/03/2008 6:54 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

In order to get to TR, you have to go to the middle of nowhere and then take a right for quite a spell. :lol: :lol:

Reminds me of what one of our OB doctors said to me one night. (He's a guitar player too by the way) His brother was trying to send him a package. The people at UPS told him ... thats in the middle of no where! Without missing a beat, he said, No, that would be Watertown. Ogdensburg is an hour north of there. :lol:

My best bud at work was just in England. His daughter is doing a study abroad college thing. I have no plans to travel there, but if I do ............ expect company. 8)

Posted : 26/03/2008 8:01 pm
(@scrybe)
Famed Member
Topic starter

As Vic said, Sara has a killer version of Little Wing. In fact, Sara is an outstanding guitarist, with excellent lead guitar chops. Laura told me later that she could see Sara smiling with delight as she worked through solos for unfamiliar songs. I hope we get to see her trading licks on the Riverside stage someday soon.

Uh.....I feel a signature-change coming on..... :wink: Seriously though, it was just a delight to jam with such wonderful muso's, and I really got into playing off that. I reckon I could've gone on all night! Loved the bass playing, nice groove without hitting me over the head with it (some other bass players I've jammed with.....tsk tsk...), and Laura's voice was huuuuuuuuggggggggeeeeee. :shock: :D But I'm a little humbled by that appraisal. Sounds like a 'press release' for a myspace page. :lol: Thanks.

As for the Riverside stage, well....I refuse point blank to sell my strat for the air fare, but if I can rob a bank, I'll be there for sure! If I can organise something, I will, so keep me posted on things stateside.

I'll post the one picture as soon as we unpack.

One? One!?! I thought there were two!?! :shock: This may well explain every song intro I've ever messed up..... :wink:

Good to hear you got back okay, give my regards to Laura. And anytime you return, I'll be sure to hit record on that one.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

Posted : 26/03/2008 9:04 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

And there WILL be a next time for us as well.

I'm already working through the RJ songbook......... :D

Glad you got back OK. Would be nice if "the next time" was in August.........anyway, I know a bit more about the organisational side of things now!

Vic

Posted : 26/03/2008 10:02 pm
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK, so .. my son and I are envious we couldn't jam with you. So .. we jammed together and hit the record button ..... kind of a tribute. We did a cover of our favorite English band. NO!!! It's not the bloody Beatles! (Note the use of the word bloody) Thats like a swear word for you guys aint it? Well, I don't want to steal or hijack this thread .. this is a tribute to you Englanders and your international jam session, so please take it as intended. Thats why I'm not posting it in it's own thread. If we ever make it to England, will you play this one with us?

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=225776&songID=6402417

Oh yeah .. thats my new "travel amp" thats too big. :lol: I thought it sounded Brittish!

Posted : 26/03/2008 11:13 pm
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

If we ever make it to England, will you play this one with us?

Only if you'll play "Paranoid" as well - I can never get anyone to play that song with me. Deal?

Vic

Posted : 26/03/2008 11:57 pm
Page 2 / 4