Clear all

9's ver 10's /action ver sustain

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

King,

If you go up two steps, say from 10's to 12's and have to do a tad bit of filing to get the 12's to sit right in the nut. What happens if you decide that the 12's aren't for you. Can you go back to 10's without any measurable difference now that the slots have been enlarged. I know that the amount you would need to open the slots is very small but small measures can make huge differences with guitar. But you knew that already.

Just asking. thanks

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

If you decide to go back you'll have a little extra play in the nut. That can be a problem, but depends on lots of other factors. If it is a problem, it is usually solvable by adding string trees (if you don't have them already) or lowering the trees (if you do have them).

If you don't want to add trees to the head, then you'd want ot replace the nut. But honestly, that's a pretty easy thing to do.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@mikey)
Reputable Member

Thanks for your response. I've been toying with the idea of replacing the nut on my Epi LP but I fear that when I remove the nut all kinds of wood from the neck will be attached to it. You say it is easy, aren't they glued in place?

Mike

Playing an instrument is good for your soul

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

Yes they are, but they are also very easy to replace.

A small chisel and files, some patience, and it's done. Not a hard job at all.

However, if you've never done it before, pick up one of Erlewine's book on guitar repair for a good look at what it takes.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

THANX MAN ! I suspect I'll run into that problem. The 10's I have on the Sebring are too snug... lube helps some. At any rate, thank you!!!.

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2