Clear all

Any opinions on micro amps?

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

My guitar teacher has now set up independently, so I need to bring my amp when I go for a lesson, so I was wondering about getting a micro amp so I'd have something a bit more portable.

I'd had a quick look at the orange micro crush or the marshall MS2, and wondered if anyone else had tried any of these - or others?

Thanks

(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

One of these.... http://www.rosemorris.com/Roland-Micro-Cube-guitar-combo-MICRO-CUBE/ ...won't set you back too much, and you can get virtually any tone from a nice clean tone to flat-out heavy metal on it. Pretty good practise amp, and louder than you'd think!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

+1 on Vic's suggestion. :D I like my Roland Cube 20X and it'sa keeper, had that mini-Marshall, it was good too. Don't know much about Orange, but it would be killah! anyway, that Roland looks nice, so try whatever you like. Others, I guess there are no more Dano's, 10W? Good luck with the lessons and all the best running through some new, great sounding amps! :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

My experience with those small amps (Micro Cube included) is that they don't sound well. I played them and I was (almost) buying a Micro Cube. Too small speaker, too small amp, too small cabinet (usually plastic), etc. They sound "small".

As you need for easy transport for lessons, get the cheapest.

ReplyQuote
(@neztok)
Estimable Member

Pignose.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I dont know if you are thinking of maybe going used, but I picked this little one up for my Daughter on ebay,and I tell you....it sounds darn good!!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I just bought the Wife a VOX VT30, and it's great. They also make a 15w.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone :-)

I don't want to sound overly miserly, but don't want to spend much money, I've already got a 30w & a 15w Spider IV, its just that they're heavy, so I want something fairly small and light, that I can leave in the boot of my car, and I'll literally just use for lessons, so unless I can get a cheap 2nd hand Vox, thats probably out.

Bluejay - pleased to hear you liked the Marshall.

Nuno - yeah I can imagine they will be a bit disappointing after my other amp, had wondered if connecting the pocket pod might improve it slightly, but I won't hold my breath :roll:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

The problem is that they have 2 watts (or similar) and the speaker is too small and they aren't able to manage the low frequencies correctly (physics problem). They sound like those small radio receivers: they sound but you can not expect a good sound. A friend of mine has a Marshall, that with two speakers, similar to a "stacked amp". Well, it sounds...

If you has a Pocket Pod you could also consider to use a normal computer speakers with it. Surely it will be the cheapest solution and it will sound like the other amps and you could use the emulations and effects in the Pod. Moreover, maybe you have a pair of old computer speakers to check it out.

If you can leave in your car, perhaps you could also consider a Micro Cube. They sound a little bit better than the others (always to my ears) and they have many effects. Here, people uses it when they play in the Metro (Underground) corridors (and also I see many small Peavey amps). By the way, buskers carry out the amps over wheels (they use the structure of the bags with wheels for the market... sorry, I don't know if there is a specific word for those bags).

Vox has... Let me see... Here it is: the Pathfinder. The Pathfinder 15 has a really good tone even for a solid state amp. It's 4.8Kg/10lbs.

But as you already has a good amp at home and this one is just for the lessons, I'd go for the cheapest solution!

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I have a Vox DA5, which is pretty good for what it is. Battery or AC....goes down to .5amp......not bad...lots of effects.

ReplyQuote
(@apache)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks everyone for their input.

Nuno - I hadn't thought of connecting the pocket pod to speaker via MP3 jack - nice one!

So I've killed two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking of course being a vegetarian :lol: ) and got a new ipod docking station, which has built in 2 x 7.5w and a 15w bass woofer, it has a fab sound quality to play the old ipod through, and ok not quite as good as an amp, but more than good enough to use to play the guitar through on my lessons. Plus I've got all the extra tone options from the pocket pod.

Result :D :D :D

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

Glad that someone hear came up with a solution that works for you. Just a thought, though. Why do all of your teacher's students (those on electric anyway) need to bring in their own amps? Wouldn't it make more sense for the teacher to provide a small amp for all of the students to use?

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Glad that someone hear came up with a solution that works for you. Just a thought, though. Why do all of your teacher's students (those on electric anyway) need to bring in their own amps? Wouldn't it make more sense for the teacher to provide a small amp for all of the students to use?

The music school my son takes lessons at provides an amp in each room.

But if we're talking about an individual teacher (especially just starting his business), costs probably factor into the decision.

Though, if someone has been playing long enough to be at a skill level to teach, I would be surprised if they don't have an old amp or 2 kicking around that the students could use.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

As Hobson said, glad it works for you :D
I've killed two birds with one stone (figuratively speaking of course being a vegetarian :lol: )
LOL!

ReplyQuote