Clear all

Become Good Charlotte in 8 easy steps

73 Posts
23 Users
0 Likes
22.8 K Views
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

Hey Narn, to be honest I count myself lucky that I never had any fame or wealth. If I was a rich man I know that I would keep my money to myself, I would be one of those who has so much and gives so little. I can think that if I had the money how much good I could do with it in this world, but I know the truth, greed for more would consume me. Happiness isnt found in money, because no matter how much you have its never enough. And in many was I have so much, a roof over my head enough food to eat, and two beautiful guitars.

No I dont envy the wealthy of our world in a way i pitty them. Happiness for me is found in simple things. New strings, good friends, face cards and her smile, even if its not me shes smiling at.

So where ever you find it I hope you guys are happy, im off to play poker.

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Deal me in JM. I don't neccesssarily envy the wealthy, and I certainly don't envy the famous. I'm in about the same boat as you, roof, kids, family, friends, a few beers on the weekend and darts on friday night. Could be (and has been) worse.

I was trying to get people to think about the " be glad for those who have it even if you want it and don't have it" line we hear so often. It is taught to us everywhere, school, church, the media, and usually by those who have moneyfamepowerhealth carefoodwhatever, that many people don't have. Those who have have propegated the myth of being happy for the privaleged in order to maintain and advantageous position over the majority. I will bet it wasn't the low man on the totem pole who came up with the "be glad for those who have crap." It is engrained in order to maintain the status quo, to prevent uprising, inorder to give old men power over women and the poor. I am not saying we would all be happier having more, but if we want more, we need not revel in the fact of our poverty (in terms of what we want) in the face of anothers wealth (of what we want).

In terms of good Charlotte any one of them has to be a better musician than me ( I make no bones about that). Am I gald that they're (bad as they are, apparently) better than me , am I "at least glad they have it"? Nope, much rather I had the skill too. I can be a very envious son-of-a-biscut-box.

If we all remain happy for those who have (not neccessarily being unhappy with what we have) society will never evolve, the poor will largely always be poor, the powerful will likely always be powerful. Look back to events as recent as biblical times where we have all been told "thou shalt not covet, etc., etc." or to very loosely translate "don't want what you don't have" or "leave well enough alone" or "we have the money, deal with it, sit down, shut up or you'll go to hell". Since then nothing has changed, the wealthy make the rules, old men detirmine what is appropriate for women and the poor (am I am rather sure most old men in power have neither been poor, nor a woman) and religions promote the status quo on the pain of eternal damnation.

I have no issue with those who are happy in life, most of the time I am, but never seek to tell me I must be satisfied with what I have, or happy for those who have what I need/want when I don't. When I am living in a box because someone with wealth and power wanted more of it and got that by closing my plant I don't beleive we can be asked to ba happy for the wealthy or powerful because "at least they made it".

Rage against the man my friends. Down with Good Charlotte, Backstreet Boys (talk about right place at the right time), boy bands in general, rap "music" "sampling", reality TV, politics as a profession (which flies in the face of "Govt. by the people" cause if you aren't the right people you're up poop creek), old men in power, legislation in the bedroom, cuts to public education (another way to keep the poor down, as the haves can go to private school), lack of child care for working mothers, workfare, and the abissmal state of medical care in the world. I will not be glad for those who have so much when so many have so little and I will not ask those who don't have what I do to be happy for me.

I will now climb down from my soapbox, having vented a whole weeks worth of frustration. I am not crazy by the way, just frustrated with apathy, the way it's promoted by some and the laughable priority we put on the useless skill or the over-rated talent.

Don't forget.....shop at WalMart, buy Good Charlotte, real health care is for the rich so wait the ten months for your MRI, and above all vote Republican (corporate America will love you for it, and I'm sure will send roses to your split level four bedroom refrigerator box in the alley).

If you need me I'll be at the all you can eat buffet. I'm quite sure people in refugee camps, and shelters everywhere will be glad for me.

Now what was this thread about??????

Oh yeah, Good Charlotte sucks .

:roll:

"You want WHAT on the *&%#ing ceiling?" - Michelangelo, 1566

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

First off I don't listen to Good Charlotte nor to I think they are a fantastic band, but I do have an opinion about atheletes as Narn was mentioning.

I agree with Narn that I see no reason to feel Happy that a band,an athelete or whomever has made it. And to be honest I don't feel sorry for any teachers or doctors who think they aren't getting paid enough, maybe they should have concentrated on sports. But where I differ is I don't have a problem saying that an athelete or musician is WORTH what they make.....They're worth whatever the population is willing to pay them...it's called Capitalism, supply and demand..

Obviously as a society we don't value the roles of teachers/doctors as much as atheletes..we don't pay them nearly as much...

But talent/skill or whatever you want to call it doesn't necessarily = Big $$

I guess I don't know the point of this but all I'm sure of is I don't listen to GC and I don't care if the make $10,000,000 a year. I just hope maybe someday I can throw a few powerchords together with some high school yearbook lyrics and make a million, that's the American way.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Thats what I'm trying to say. I as a matter of fact, don't like GC either, at all. I can't stand their whole genre of music for that matter.

But, they made it, congrats to em. If someone from this forum board made it, id be happy for em as well.

Rotten, you seem to believe that having musical talent is an absolute truth as it were. Its not, its all an opinion. Some people think metal pots and pans are musical, maybe they are. Its all an opinion. You're free to have yours, and I'm free to have mine.

What am I ranting about then, you may ask...

Guitarnoise.com is far above bashing a band because someone thinks their music 'sucks'. I like to think that members here respect others, and support musicians as much as they can. Not bash them and hate them for being 'succesful', even if it is just because of some powerchords.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Look back to events as recent as biblical times where we have all been told "thou shalt not covet, etc., etc." or to very loosely translate "don't want what you don't have" or "leave well enough alone" or "we have the money, deal with it, sit down, shut up or you'll go to hell".

I don't see how thats the message that's portrayed today. It's certainly not in the bible. The idea is to stop wishing and start working towords it.

Material possesions are overrated anyway. :P

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@joe-momma)
Trusted Member

Deal me in JM.

:roll:

No problem Narn, but if you want to sit down at the poker table with me I'm going to be glad for what you have, cos pretty soon it'll all be mine. :wink:

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

I was just trying to se if I could get a few goats. I've been reading Michael Moore lately and I think I'm having a weird overdose of cynicism. The truth be told I wouldn't know Good Charlotte if I tripped over them. If they worked hard and got what they deserve good for them. On that note I'm going to shut up before I look like too much of a dough-head. Band bashing really ain't me anyway.

I think we all have a right to listen to what whatever we feel like. If it dosen't promote hatred, and you enjoy it, what's the difference? Think for yourself, question authority, and remember to vote.

Take Care all.
No problem Narn, but if you want to sit down at the poker table with me I'm going to be glad for what you have, cos pretty soon it'll all be mine.

JM, In terms of poker, if my history at the table is any indication, I would very likely have a good bit less to be glad for when the game was over. I'm the worst in the world at cards, but heck, if you ain't willing to lose it don't bring it to the table. If we ever get the chance sign me up I'll make a donation.

ReplyQuote
(@rotten)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Rotten, you seem to believe that having musical talent is an absolute truth as it were. Its not, its all an opinion. Some people think metal pots and pans are musical, maybe they are. Its all an opinion. You're free to have yours, and I'm free to have mine.

Assumption is the mother of all what? I agree, farting on a snare drum may be appealing to some people. But your missing my point. In my opinion corporate bands like GC,sum 41, blink 182, nickelback, ect.., are full of shizza if they tell you anything but, "we're in it for the money". And every time I hear, "Its all about the music and the fans", it makes me vomit. If it was about the music show some respect and continue to learn everything about it.

I could care less if they're billionaires, just don't blow smoke up my azz. And sell them as the greatest band since sliced bread.
Guitarnoise.com is far above bashing a band because someone thinks their music 'sucks'. I like to think that members here respect others, and support musicians as much as they can. Not bash them and hate them for being 'succesful', even if it is just because of some powerchords.

Guitarnoise.com Forum index-> Opinions and Polls

Ok im scratching my head. This is America man. Say what yea fell, there is nothing too sacred. I could care less about success. I trashed my teachers band before I realized it was my teacher, but my opinion remains the same. { he's a great guitarist, but even he admits his band mates arnt up to par}

Dirty Rotten

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

ReplyQuote
(@nicola)
Eminent Member

If someone from this forum board made it, i hate to say it but to make it in the music industry these days... you'd be compromising alot.

All that hard yacker and musicianship would fly out the window with the publishing companies in control.

I bet we would all have to sacrifice talent to conform, you guys are some of the few that understand music. But you also arent the consumer.

The target market is teens, so the success stories all have to relate to them.

Sad But True....

And as for Good Charlotte, well we all know how much their guitar playing sounds like yankee cheerleaders on sugar highs, but as i said..... its only WE that know.

Ignorance is bliss, and maybe..... Just maybe. GC really are great musicians. But they have to simplify to make their songs catchy, easy to play and sing, and therefore... in demand.

Just maybe,

ummmmmm, maybe not.....................

There has been years of investigation to find that 100% of statistics are made up

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Rotten I definitly see your point man, but what I'm saying is

For example, look at the video that was up on the general forum page, of the 8 year old kid (13?) "playing" eruption.

The people there think hes great, cause its apparently fast, and difficult looking (plus its a bit hyped up cause hes a kid ;) )

Now as guitarists, we all know that his playing wasn't actually to good at all, but the people there didn't know that, they thought he was awesome.

It goes the same way with GC, blink 182, and whoever else you mentioned. Us being guitar players, we know that blink 182 isnt the most technical stuff in the world. The people who listen to it (most of them anyways) don't feel the same way, or just don't care.

Not everyone feels that complex music = good music.

Yeah, its America, but what I was trying to say is that Guitarnoise is way above belittling or bashing another band, just because we don't agree with their music.

And it's not like I'm a blink fan, or a GC fan, I can't stand either group, and refuse to listen to them, but I don't pour my hatred for them out either.

If someone wants to listen to 466, 577 thats fine by me, doesn't really affect me. And even if it does affect me (chances are when Columbia records are thinking of putting me on their label in 45 years, they'll go with a powerchord band instead) then coming on here, and dissing out bands doesn't help me either.

Great movie line ( I'm happy I've found a place to put it)

"Has anything you've done, made your life better?"- American History X

Ok, so the line isnt perfect for the situtation... Lets edit it a bit

"Has anything you've said here, made music better?"

Much Love, and respect,
Taso

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Hmmm

Let me stir this one up a little more.

Good Charlotte are doing what every other artist does - yes, artist - displaying their product. If we like it, we buy it. If we don't we don't. Nobody is going to buy something they think is rubbish.

Now, by calling GC artists, I've just lumped them in the same bracket as:

Led Zep
Queen
Sex Pistols
The St. Winifred's School Choir - number 1 with "Grandma, we love you" one Christmas
Rolf Harris (crossover point here - he painted and made hit records)
Salvador Dali
And whatever her name was who won the Turner Prize with the unmade bed.

Where should we draw the line?

Someone is clearly buying the product. Someone is phoning Kerrang TV and choosing the video (at £1 per call). Someone is putting their hand in their pocket and parting with their hard-earned. Would they really do that if they didn't like it? At this point, it all becomes a matter of one person's opinion.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
 Narn
(@narn)
Estimable Member

Hmmm

At this point, it all becomes a matter of one person's opinion.

A :-)

Alan I would take that a little farther. Since we all live in our own subjective reality we can never truly take the point of view of another. Every decision we make, every choice, is based on our opinions on the given situation. No two people, based on the fact they are complete and separate entities with their own biological endowments and learning experiences, can ever share exactly the the same perception of something.

To take this to an extreme, we could say thet every statement of "X is crap, but Y is great" can be thought of as being meaningful (based on the opinions of the speaker) only for the speaker. Given that there is no other person on the planet who has exactly the same experiences or biology (excepting the biology of identical twins) such a statement, in the sense of the meaning it held for the speaker, can be true for only one person. Using this reasoning (flawed though it may be) we can see that such generalizations as "Good Charlotte sucks" or "peanut butter is wonderful" or "what a profound work or art" are, at least, partly meaningless (in terms of what the speaker meant) to everyone but the speaker. Every matter of taste, every, event, every phrase comes through the filter of the speaker. We can say "I thnink GC sucks" or "I love peanut butter" but cannot generalize outside our own experience. It is very likely that any statement that gives a generaliztion based on perception is at least partially false for everyone but the speaker.

Conclusion: Bashing (bands, movies, food, sexual preference, religion) is utterly pointless and, in the end meaningless if generalized. I should point out the positive generalizations also (perception based ones, that is) are equally meaningless. (Much like most of my posts in this thread). We can only make truly valid statement of perceived worth about our own perceptions, no one elses can be truly understood in the way that person does.

Toodles> :roll:

ReplyQuote
(@spadge)
Estimable Member

I would sooner shave my balls with a rusty cheesegrater than listen to this absolute shiat.

They are nothing more than pierced now dolls, going through the motions and reaping all the rewards from the dis-associated teenagers that actually think these aholes speak for them.

And Breath................ hmmm that feels better.

Find all you need in your mind, If you take the time

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

That was mature.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

It's so popular and cool to have a go at famous bands (it used to be Blink 182 in this position but they seem to have earned some cred back, which has been a long time coming as they're very accomplished songwriters) but - and this is sad, but true - saying "they am t3h suck and i hope they doie LoL!!1" or other equally retarded statements doesn't actually take money out of their pockets. It doesn't bring them a step closer to being dropped by their label. You are doing the band no disservice by logging onto the net and having a sly pop at them.

Besides, why have a go at Good Charlotte? At least they're not trying to be something they're not - they're a bit cheesy, they've got a long way to go, but at least they can admit it and have a bit of a laugh with it. There's hundreds of bands that pretend they're punk/emo/hardcore when the stuff they're churning out is very similar to GC in terms of content.

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5