67 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ah youth...

The first paragraph is sane, the second is naive.

I choose not to play golf.

And piano is harder than guitar.

-Laz

I choose not to play golf too, but totally. If I called myself a golfer then said I choose not to do bunker shots, that would sound rather convenient don't you think?

And saying piano is harder than guitar is perhaps the most naive statement I've ever heard. How on earth can you compare the two in terms of difficulty? A 12 month old child can hit a C note on a piano and produce a tone. To fret a C on guitar and make it resonate, without interferring with adjacent strings is a task in itself to a novice.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member

this conversation really is pointless. you're presenting highly subjective information as a truth and expecting everyone to get along with it. i think we should just leave this alone and let it go.

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

ReplyQuote
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Are we done yet? Soooo....boring.

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I think Street Lethal should drop whatever attitude he is carrying becuase it seems to spread to all his posts...

And talking and making fun of the interests and opinions of others is just plain childish.

As for your "topic" out of the 3 guys you mainly mentioned, I like Steve Vai the most becuase even though he has the speed and abilit to purely shred, he chooses not to msot of the time. Instead, he makes other-wordly noises and doesn't center every single song on his fast fingers. For Yngwie and SAatriani, I admire their skill of the guitar, but shred seems to get boring really quickly beucase it's jsut notes. I'd prefer any solo in The Allman Brothers Band: Live at the Fillmore then to some already heard shred solo.

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

PVTele wrote: We can sit here typing till doomsday arguing about favourite musicians, but when that final trumpet sounds someone'll probably say "hey Gabriel you should have put a little descending riff in between the F# and the D......" and someone else'll say "Vai could've done it better" and someone else'll say EVH and someone else'll mention Hendrix.....and I'll be the one behind them, saying "shut up or else they won't let anyone bring a guitar in - you want to be playing harp for the rest of your retirement?"

Hey PV, what makes you so certain you're going UPstairs??? :lol:

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@afterblast)
Estimable Member

- you want to be playing harp for the rest of your retirement?"

Vic

roflmao :lol:
oh wait then I'd have to grow calouses on my right hand to...

we'd still probably be arguing over what brand of harp strings sound the best. :lol:

wherever you go, there you are.

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Let us not diverge from the topic at hand. Let's stop calling each other naive and other things. Let's relax the posturing and attitude.

Remember the five rules of thumb for the forums:

1. Assume the best tone possible when reading someone else's post.
2. If you wouldn't say it to a friend sitting at the family dinner table, don't post it here.
3. Think twice, read twice, post once.
4. There is plenty of room in the world for differing opinions, it isn't my job to make you switch yours to mine.
5. You've got better things to be pissed off about like lack of jobs, disease, homelessness, world hunger, etc. If a post here is making you angry, go play your guitar.

A while back someone asked me to let you all know why posts will get moved to Electric Ladyland. Well, this one has some great stuff in it, but it has the potential to degenerate rapidly. Keep it in line and all will be fine.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

PVTele wrote: We can sit here typing till doomsday arguing about favourite musicians, but when that final trumpet sounds someone'll probably say "hey Gabriel you should have put a little descending riff in between the F# and the D......" and someone else'll say "Vai could've done it better" and someone else'll say EVH and someone else'll mention Hendrix.....and I'll be the one behind them, saying "shut up or else they won't let anyone bring a guitar in - you want to be playing harp for the rest of your retirement?"

Hey PV, what makes you so certain you're going UPstairs??? :lol:

Actually I wrote that - PV Tele was quoting me - and the reason I'm sure I'm going UPstairs is diminished and augmented chords - I've had my hell right here on earth, trying to master those.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

But believe me , when you are new to an instrument and especially self learning then you tend to form a lot of prejudices and in all possibility start disregarding the views of others.

If we keep a positive outlook with a desire to learn from our seniors , we can always get better.That does not mean you don't have the right to assert your viewpoint.
In real world too , many times people won't agree with us , then , what do we do ?Do we go around thrashing them or bad mouthing them etc ? Nah and even if we do , we can hardly expect them to change their opinion.

No instrument is easy when taken to a performing level before an audience.A keyboard's layout might be more logical than guitar (easy to understand at first sight) but that does not make it easier.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I try to avoid getting worked up because people on the internet don't affect my life in any way what so ever. Plus people are entitled to their opinions and voicing them. And I wouldn't like someone telling me I'm wrong, so I don't do it to anyone else.

I agree that a piano is laid out more logically. But a guitar has things to make it easier as well. Like the ability to change the tuning to overcome physical limitations. Plus different types of guitars, constructions, different scale lengths, string gauges and the ability to set up the guitar anyway you like on top of that means there is a guitar out there just for you.

ReplyQuote
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

So far the only thing's in this read I can agree with are David's first post and "Brother" Vic's.

It IS music, and so it IS subjective. And as someone previously mentioned, it is being spoken about as if it is an absolute truth, when obviously it is not.

This is not a controversial discussion, I've seen this same discussion maybe 10 times here on guitarnoise, in this form and in many others. I believe we've had the same inconclusive discussion about Hendrix, and also the aforementioned Ywngieigengeiw Malmsteen.

The bottom line always comes down to: What do you care if people enjoy his music? Let them enjoy it. The only valuable discussions regarding artists are discussions that praise them, and allow other users to discover their works.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Let us not diverge from the topic at hand. Let's stop calling each other naive and other things. Let's relax the posturing and attitude.

I haven't been rude, maybe a little sarcastic at times but there is no law against that. I assumed people here would relish a debate, granted, not everyone cares that much for the subject matter, either it isn't their genre or before their time, and that's fine- but then why reply with 'he's-a-newbie-and-I-don't-care-for-him-much' style comments. I'm told to drop an attitude but if you read back, I've only been sharp with people who have been less than courteous themselves, but because they are senior members, or known by others, nothing is said about that.

I maintain it's a great forum, I had simply hoped I would get people talking, but it seems like I managed to ruffle a few feathers, and if I did I apologise.

Thanks Nick.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

Street, I've been doing this so long now that I have very little patience.

...and yes I saw both sides. I wasn't refering just to you but to all posters.

Everybody keep this in mind though, an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Nick's being much more patient than I am. I've removed this thread once and would be pleased to remove it again if the discussion doesn't remain courteous.

Thanks.
Tim

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with Vick. I respect all of these players, Satriani, Vai, and Malmsteen, Van Halen for their amazing ability. And I would be a liar if I said I did not wish I had this kind of ability myself.

Even still, none of these guys every played anything that has moved me whatsoever. I do like a few Van Halen solos.

But even if I had the ability these players have, I really don't see myself playing this type of style. I have always liked slower players that play with melody and feel. I would rather listen to David Gilmore anytime than any of these guys.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinions. That is a good thing. I really think the world would be very boring if we all thought alike and agreed on everything.

And guitar would be boring if everybody was a shredder. No, we need some Country twang, some slow Blues, some acoustic strum and fingerpicking, Bluegrass, Reggae, Jazz.....

All music is good. Play the music you like. I respect all musicians regardless of style.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 5