67 Posts
32 Users
0 Likes
10.6 K Views
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

OK, I'll play...

Steve Miller (The Joker) was a family friend and student of Les Paul...

One of my favorite bass players is Kevin McCormack, who few people know by name. You probably know his work...

A famous blues guitarist once said something like: "It's not the number of notes you play in a song, it's whether they are the right notes at the right time." Arrggh, who said that first?

I still think EVH has the best balance of speed and melody.

-Laz

EVH = Eddie Van Halen

Eddie was the reason I picked up a guitar in the first place. I'd safely wager a bet than anyone who makes oversimplications as to what speed is all about on the guitar, can't play at speed, and then proudly declares that 'it aint cool', or they don't want to. Sure Ill believe them when they show me they have the ability, but just choose not to. Does anyone have a go at pianists who play a run up the keyboard? Nahhh, but try doing that same run on a fretboard, not easy.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@streetlethal)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

For me you never stop learning guitar. You explore all styles, changes in technique when necessary, and develop your own sound, not necessarily the noise from your amp, but from your fingers.

I can't see how challenging one would find guitar if all they learned was chords and stopped there. It's fine to say, I choose not to play solo's, it's entirely another to say I can't, and not surprisingly very few admit the latter.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

-Laz
EVH = Eddie Van Halen

I'll give you an AMEN for that one brother.

Treat others how you would like to be treated.

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

-Laz
EVH = Eddie Van Halen

For me Jeff Beck has the total package, Speed when he wants it, Unbelievable technical skills, one of the most melodic players ever and able to make emotions drip from his guitar.

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

For me Jeff Beck has the total package, Speed when he wants it, Unbelievable technical skills, one of the most melodic players ever and able to make emotions drip from his guitar.

I haven't listened to enough Jeff Beck. If you could suggest one cd of his what would it be?

ReplyQuote
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member

I haven't listened to enough Jeff Beck. If you could suggest one cd of his what would it be?

So many to choose from, but for just straight up guitar playing with no vocals to distract you I would say it is a toss up between Wired and Blow by Blow, I really can't choose between the 2. Both contain some of his most haunting lyrical playing. Can't go wrong with either one

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

ReplyQuote
(@bford)
Reputable Member

Sweet! I'll give em' a try next time I make a cd purchase.

Thanks Tele.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I have to agree with Helgi on this...it's a pretty useless argument. Music is about what moves you as an individual it's an art not a science. even though i play guitar I can't list really anyone as an idol..there are several guitar players that I like but I'm sure it has a lot more to do with the context of the band they are playing with than in their particular playing ability.

None of the guitarists listed in this thread to anything for me, Vai, Satriani, Beck, Ywgnvie, EHV and find most if not all of them uninspiring..that doesn't mean that I think they are bad guitarists because they are not and it's easy to hear that they are all very technically competent guitarists but the music they make doesn't do a thing for me.

I guess it's fun sometimes to hear what other people feel about the subject but at the end of te day it's still an internal thing.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

-Laz
EVH = Eddie Van Halen

I can go with that. I just don't hear Beck on the radio as often, so he fades in my memory. I'll put him on the CD buy list.

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

For me you never stop learning guitar. You explore all styles, changes in technique when necessary, and develop your own sound, not necessarily the noise from your amp, but from your fingers.

I can't see how challenging one would find guitar if all they learned was chords and stopped there. It's fine to say, I choose not to play solo's, it's entirely another to say I can't, and not surprisingly very few admit the latter.

Ah youth...

The first paragraph is sane, the second is naive.

I choose not to play golf.

And piano is harder than guitar.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

I don't play guitar because it challenges me. I play because it frees me.

I always like to learn new stuff, but that isn't a challenge, it's just finding another way to unleash my spirit.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I don't play guitar because it challenges me. I play because it frees me.

I always like to learn new stuff, but that isn't a challenge, it's just finding another way to unleash my spirit.

Well said. Thanks.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@jasoncolucci)
Reputable Member

Let me say this to the original poster...although he appears to have gone MIA (please no fender jokes.) Even if you don't like the style of satch or vai, you've got to respect that kind of technical dominance of the guitar. There's no point in arguing "who's the best guitarist?" because it's ENTIRELY opinion once guitarists reach a certain level of profeciency. A better debate would be who is the best shredder, or who has the best technique but even these seem trivial.

Guitarin' isn't a job, so don't make it one.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

A better question would be, "Who makes the best music?" - technical perfection is one thing, but someone like BB King - who can make a solo out of 2-3 notes - plays with passion, with feeling and carries you along with him.....

Vai, Satriani, Yngwie etc - they kind of exclude the audience - how the hell do you hum or whistle along to that? Shredding to me is a kind of self-defeating exercise - but then again, I'm one of nature's rhythm guitarists.....I wish I had the command of the fretboard those guys have, but if I had, I probably wouldn't use it.....

What I'm trying to say, I guess, is if you can do it, fine - if you can't, practise more - when you can do it, do it as much as you like.....

We all have different tastes - while I respect the fact that Jimi is a favourite on this site, he doesn't do an awful lot for me....he may have been a master guitarist, not to mention a wonderful innovator, but there are certain songs of his I love and others I truly hate - they come across as overblown ego trips......

We can sit here typing till doomsday arguing about favourite musicians, but when that final trumpet sounds someone'll probably say "hey Gabriel you should have put a little descending riff in between the F# and the D......" and someone else'll say "Vai could've done it better" and someone else'll say EVH and someone else'll mention Hendrix.....and I'll be the one behind them, saying "shut up or else they won't let anyone bring a guitar in - you want to be playing harp for the rest of your retirement?"

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

We can sit here typing till doomsday arguing about favourite musicians, but when that final trumpet sounds someone'll probably say "hey Gabriel you should have put a little descending riff in between the F# and the D......" and someone else'll say "Vai could've done it better" and someone else'll say EVH and someone else'll mention Hendrix.....and I'll be the one behind them, saying "shut up or else they won't let anyone bring a guitar in - you want to be playing harp for the rest of your retirement?"

:D :D :D

Vic

Amen! Preach it, Brother Vic!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ReplyQuote
Page 3 / 5