Skip to content
Does anyone else th...

Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone else think The Darkness are a breath of fresh...

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

A breath of fresh air??? Because I sure do. The band The Darkness that is.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

(@blackzerogsh)
Prominent Member

I heard their song, I believe in a thing called love, and I immediately disliked it. It's just something about that song that doesn't agree with me.

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

I don't like a lot of their songs, but the ones I do sure are fun to play! Almost makes me want to go out and buy a long frizzy wig when I play along to I Believe In A Thing Called Love or Growing On Me.

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

haha, yeah, I don't know, I just love their sound. It seems like they just don't fit with most modern rock nowadays. Also, "I believe in a thing called love" is great to play, and its pretty sweet that it has three solo's in it. Just my opinions though.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I saw them last Saturday night in Manchester (England that is!) - they work bloody hard on stage, they have some good riffs, they do their best to put a good show and pretty much succeeded - but I still have this nagging feeling somewhere, they've been watching too many of their parent's old videos....and the swearing is quite unnecessary, there's way too much of it.....

Breath of fresh air, no - excellent 70's retro-rock band, yes.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I like them. They're sure as hell better than alot of the other mainstream rock out right now. *cough, cough* Greenday. *cough, cough* Fall out boy *cough, cough*...And their lead guitarists can really rip. Hes got a good falsetto too.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Exactly why I think they're a breath of fresh air, Voodoo Merman, well said. I guess I didn't know much about the swearing, but thats what all rock bands want to personify, the "bad guy" image.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

It's difficult to portray the bad-boy image in a one-piece Spandex cat-suit.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

haha, oh come on!, look back on teh 80's. Wait, maybe don't..

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

Personally, I would be leery of a band called The Darkness

There is too much darkness in the world.

Tell me why I should even listen to this band.

Seriously

Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

hahaha.

I can assure you that The Darkness are not dark at all.

They're lyrics are quirky, entertaining and somewhat cliche (but good). They are basically a hard rock band. Their style is VERY retro and clearly influenced by 70s music.

Their lead singer is very eccentric to say the least (but very talented vocally and instrumentaly).

Give 'em a listen. There are currently no other bands out that are quite like them. Dont judge 'em by the name. They arent one of those nasty death metal bands or anything like that.

At this time I would like to tell you that NO MATTER WHAT...IT IS WITH GOD. HE IS GRACIOUS AND MERCIFUL. HIS WAY IS IN LOVE, THROUGH WHICH WE ALL ARE. IT IS TRULY -- A LOVE SUPREME --. John Coltrane

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

hahaha.

I can assure you that The Darkness are not dark at all.

They're lyrics are quirky, entertaining and somewhat cliche (but good). They are basically a hard rock band. Their style is VERY retro and clearly influenced by 70s music.

Their lead singer is very eccentric to say the least (but very talented vocally and instrumentaly).

Give 'em a listen. There are currently no other bands out that are quite like them. Dont judge 'em by the name. They arent one of those nasty death metal bands or anything like that.

Thanks Voodoo, I gave their sound samples a listen. I agree: from what I heard the lead singer is quirky and talented. Unusual vocals. I checked out their lyrics; the ones I read were relatively "harmless"; some references to drugs were not really interesting; (I just can't relate to that kind of stuff) and the swearing is unnecessary, considering their talent. Don't get me wrong: I'm not giving them a negative judgement overall---I'm sure we'll be hearing more about them on this side of the pond, shortly. They definitely rock!

Ghost

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

By the way, not a trace of spandex in sight last week - lead singer and guitarist was wearing a Rolling Stones t-shirt - albeit with tight sripey pants.....and his brother a Thin Lizzy t-shirt. Both still have long hair. Bass player (recent addition I think) wore black t-shirt and jeans, couldn't see much of the drummer, 'cept he had his shirt off....

Oh yeah, and later on when Justin Hawkins took his t-shirt off, the beer-belly was apparent from roughly 40 yards away - even more so on the big screen!!!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@voodoo_merman)
Reputable Member

I think its a breath of fresh air that you guys (Ghost Rider, Vic lewis ect...) actually have high standards for the rock and roll that you listen to. That's the way that we should all be. Youre right. Swearing really is unnecessary. And the more we accept it in rock and roll the more prevalent it will become.

I guess the spandex and nudity (that is present in a number of their videos) really IS uncalled for. Maybe its their attempt at being different. I should really start respecting rock a bit more.

Ludeness aside, you gotta admit that The Darkness are one of the better bands out right now though.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

They're in that "difficult second album" phase, but there's no doubt they've brought some fun back to making rock music

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2