Skip to content
Does anyone else th...

Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone else think The Darkness are a breath of fresh...

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member

I have the first cd here somewhere in the house,I wish I was at they're level but the cd to me is so lacking in personality..I'm a huge Queen and Deep Purple fan and it just didn't click for me.I have a huge collection of music and everything from the Doors to Queen to Led Zepplin I still prefer their first album/cd.I played it 3 or 4 times just not to be biased but give me Van Halen one or steppenwolf one or the Dire Straights first cd....well you get my point,I wish them well but someting tells me they're the next Queen,oops to late!!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
that song ( and video) was alittle creepy for me.
Usually I don't mind something diffrent, something (to qoute the person who started this post) fresh

I just couldn't see what direction they were takeing

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@michhill8)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

haha, that person is me, "breath of fresh air" is the direct quote, But anyhow, yeah I think in this era of music, they are very unique, especially for a metal-type band. And it works quite well, to me anyhow, just my opinion.

Thanks Dudes!
Keep on Rockin'

Pat

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I should have mentioned, live on-stage, they had no trouble re-creating their studio sound.... and they do have a sense of humour, they laugh at themselves.... Justin seemed to change guitars every song, and he'd throw in a quick AC/DC riff....when the roadies brought a keyboard on, a quick snatch of "Jump"....

Were they good to watch live? Yes, although some of the gimmicks were a little outdated, they did play some great kick-A$$ rock'n'roll....

Would I go see them again? Probably.....at the end of they day, they were entertaining, loud and fun....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@rag_doll_92)
Reputable Member

I didn't say direct qoute now did I?
;)
:)
lol

Join the fight to stop global warming...
Join the virtual march at: http://www.stopglobalwarming.org
We CAN make a diffrence!

ReplyQuote
(@zaiga)
Trusted Member

What I like most about The Darkness is that, unlike most other bands these days, they don't seem to take themselves too seriously. Then again, almost all of their songs are firmly tongue-in-cheek lyric wise, and I wish they did some more "honest" tunes as well. Their second album is great. Only ten songs, but all of them are unique and different from eachother. They are compared to Queen a lot, but I find that they sound more like 80's hair rock, although some layered guitars and vocal harmonies sometimes remind of Queen. They lack the finesse of Queen in their musical compositions though, especially where song form is concerned. The Darkness songs are mostly verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus, or something similar, not like the acyclical compositions of most early Queen material.

But yeah, it's a great band, and I love listening to them. Another band that caught my eye (ear?) is Jetliner. I've heard some snippets from their latest album "Space Station" and it sounded pretty good too. In the same vein as The Darkness, sans falsetto's. Anyone know if their latest album is available in Europe somewhere?

ReplyQuote
(@psychopathic_zillionaire)

defiantly not, i truely hate the darkness. But people like different things i guess. even tho i still say they are a 1 hit wounder.

Psychopathic Zillionaire

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I've tried to like The Darkness but just couldn't. I give every CD I have a fair chance and listen to them at least three or four times before diciding if I trade it or keep it. The Darkness CD would be gone except my fiancee liked it so she took it. Haven't heard the second CD.

The first time I saw the first video they had out made me laugh, and not in a good "ha ha" kinda way. :)

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

The Darkness were "cool" last year for about a month. I loved their first song and learned the basic riff... but really it boils down to retro-classic-rock done poorly (in my mind). There are plenty of bands that have already done what they are doing. The falcetto singing is interesting, but mildly.

I LOVE the fact that they are different, however. I am very tired of the "I'm so depressed" music that has been out for the last 10 years. I can get into some of it, but jeez... is every musician depressed? Really?

God bless ya Ghost Rider. I've been to 9 Rush shows and can count the swears (at a LIVE concert) on one hand (mostly from Alex that sick son-of-a-b@#*$)! Truly talented musicians who put on a crazy show - love or hate their music (love it).

Of course, the swearing has a place... when I went to see Iron Maiden I was dissapointed with any fewer than 50 f-bombs from Bruce.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2