Skip to content
Does it matter wher...

Notifications
Clear all

Does it matter where a guitar's made? And are these 2 Twins?

51 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK, I'm not patient enough to wait for someone to ask me ......... :P Kalamazoo Michigan USA! $350! Keep in mind the Gibby was only $500 back then. :lol: The Epi had dot inlays and the neck was not bound and it had open face pickups. It was plain. But still!!!!! I opted for the new Les Paul XR2. Try looking them up. They only made them for a couple of years.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Back in 1982 when I bought my first Les Paul I could have bought an Epiphone SG. Do you know where it was made? Do you? Huh? Huh?

Darn it... I'm too slow... :)

I've been reading a bit about the history of Gibson and Epiphone, so I had seen this at the Epi site:
1957 Gibson's parent company, Chicago Musical Instrument, buys Epiphone for $20,000. The purpose is to acquire Epiphone's bass production equipment, but CMI makes Epiphone a division of Gibson and revives the Epiphone name on guitars. A full line of newly designed acoustics and electrics is unveiled in 1958. Epiphone production is moved into Gibson's factory in Kalamazoo, Michigan, in 1960.

Epiphone History

I love the picture of old 'Epi' Stathopoulo - he looks straight out of Monty Python. :D

Interesting to see the price you quoted from 1982, TR. Considering how much wages, housing costs etc have changed in that 25 years, that's not all that much of a price increase on the Epi. So I guess they have been concentrating on keeping the price down.

Still got that XR2? Looks like they fetch a good sum now.

Les Paul XR2

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Well if the object of this thread was to give me GAS, you've certainly succeeded! Although I'd pretty much made up my mind what I wanted anyway - and that's a 2nd Squier Tele. Darth Ordinary put me on to a guitar shop in Warrington (5 miles away, 10 mins on the train) that has a couple in stock, so I'm going to go and put them through their paces this week. They have the Squier Custom Tele with P90's in two models - Black and Blonde. It'll be interesting to do a comparison between the new one which I'll acquire and the one I already have, in the same way Chris has compared the two SG's.

Then again, guitar shops are like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get!

Still haven't made my mind up between Cube 30 Amp and Vox ADT 30 amp though....

Decisions, decisions!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

Still haven't made my mind up between Cube 30 Amp and Vox ADT 30 amp though....

I love my Vox AD30VT but I've never even seen a Cube so can't make a comparison.

There is a Vox forum which shows some the members presets available:

http://www.valvetronix.net/forum/index.php

And Robert Renman has some great video clips on his site showing the Vox used with various guitars some of which are stock-standard Squiers:

http://www.dolphinstreet.com

And there are some good demos on Youtube.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

LOL, my mind's made up now - after all this time wanting a Cube-30 - I've had the Cube-15 in the past - I tried my Squier Tele through Darth Ordinary's Vox AD30VT tonight - and I'm SOLD! Amazing range of tones and effects, I tried a lot of different settings and loved most of them. And the best part? The Vox + a footswitch is the same price as the cube!

Now all I've got to do is find a sound-hole pickup for my acoustic and I'm ready to roll!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Sorry Chris.
My intentions with that SG pic were anything but cruel.
I was just trying to give you an example of the 'spottiness' I was refering to.
Though that is a pretty guitar, I must admit.
PAF HB's too. :twisted:

Vic - about the soundhole pup....
http://barcusberry.com/product_html/maplebar.html
About 45.00 U.S.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
Page 4 / 4