Notifications
Clear all

GAS for Guitar Players Only?

58 Posts
21 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I have got gas for all types of intstruments both stringed and non stringed (and no money for any one)...

These include - piano, synths, banjo, mandolin, drums, violin, trumpet and harmonica.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Unfortunately, two of my hobbies cause GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and both are expensive
Tell me about it! :shock:

I've got highly compressed GAS of both sorts mentioned, and both TAS and BBAS have hit my home hard. :roll:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you think guitarist are bad check out a synth forum. :shock:

ReplyQuote
(@jackss565)
Reputable Member

I think the worst form is for golfers, in the last year i have spent well over £2000 on golf clubs, and got worse. At least buying a new amp or pedal makes a noticible differance, whether good or not and this motivates me to keep practising.

Just my view

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Cyclists have it worst of all. Guys carrying an extra 50 pounds on their persons will spend $100 to shave 10 grams off of their pedals.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Unfortunately, two of my hobbies cause GAS (Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome and Gun Acquisition Syndrome) and both are expensive

Hey J Dubbya- What are your 2 hobbies? Guitars (obviously) and.........????

BTW...I STILL need to get that file over to you so you can lay down a good drum track for me. (priorities, priorities)

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

as said before, most instruments have a stereotypical sound that all players of the instrument tend towards. a london philharmonic violinist will probably have a very similar sound to a boston pops violinist. therefore, gas is going to just tend towards a small group of instruments that get closer and closer to that sound. guitars are all over the map sonically. plus, besides the actual guitar, there's also amps and pedals. also, there are more guitar players than any other instrument besides possibly piano, so even if gas was evenly distributed, you'd hear about it more from guitar players. finally, you're a guitar player, so you're more aware of what's happening in the world of guitar playing.

anyway, i'd probably be pretty much set with an acoustic and a strat, tele, and lp with some decent pedals and maybe a classical. right now i have the strat and a lower quality acoustic and i'm really only hoping for a better acoustic. and a better amp. and a decent wah and a fuzz. and maybe a looper and second delay pedal. and a bass. two basses, one regular and one fretless. and a bass amp. and a drumset. and a vocal mic and amp. maybe a chromatic harmonica. but an archtop guitar would probably be overkill. oh, and it seems like a lot of people here recommend an eq pedal, so one of those might be nice.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Add to that guitars are works of art. Keyboards and saxophones look pretty much alike. They come in a few colors and finishes, but the sax shape cannot change, and the black and white keys which also never change dominate the looks of the keyboard. But the Strat, LP, Dano, SG, 335, Dimebag, Tele, Explorer, Flying V, etc., etc., etc., guitars all look very different. Then put the variety of colors and finishes on them, and there is just a lot of variety in the looks of guitars.

Nicely put. :)

My wife has resisted all my efforts to cajole her into taking up any branch of music at all. I haven't manage to coax so much as one strummed chord, a basic drumbeat or a single sung note from her. :( But she does get the beauty angle. We have 5 paintings hung on our bedroom walls, and 5 stringed instruments. The instruments are the more aesthetically pleasing and are strategically placed for satisfying viewing just before sleep.... 8)

In the lounge room there's also a battered old banjolin hanging in a prominent spot. It belonged to my wife's grandfather so it's not only a thing of beauty in its own right it has sentimental and historical significance for us. Works of art indeed.

Interesting to hear about practising sax in front of a wall too. I've got one hidden under the bed, ready for that rainy day when I finally get time to learn to play, rather than enjoying the occasional quick honk. What a fabulous instrument they are. Awesome looking, and just thinking about a note on sax can give you goosebumps....

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I think it is part of the human condition. Guitars, guns, synths... mobile phones, computers, wrist clocks, pens, cars or books. I friend at work has more than six thousand books, more than many small libraries. The "product" doesn't matter, some people are collectors.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't say that kind of stuff outdoors, you don't want a stray violinst of synth player here such blasphemy. We have our gibson vs Fender, on violin forums Guarneri vs Stradivarius is a hotly debated topic. Some say strads are a bit nasal sounding, the other believes Guarneris are lacking in direction/spreading of tone. As for synths: sure the basic keybords look alike but the real big synths are all widely different in design. They are also pretty big, making collecting them in your house only an option for those with big houses and the cash to buy such synths. Guitars are basically the same size, have roguhly the same neck, with frets at the same place, with only two dominant ways of how the neck looks, fixed places for electronica etc etc.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Nice...... :D

What are they, and where would I be able to...um...look.. at such things... :)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't know the bottom one, just grabbed it from google images. The top one is the ARP 2600, the original 'blue meanie' version. They're pretty rare, if you can trade to brand-new Gibson LPs for it you've got a good deal. If you care about such things Arturia makes a great softsynth version of the ARP:

You can patch cables and everything like on the original, check it out on http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/arp2600v/intro.html . You can control it with any keybord but obviously one with assignable controllers is preferable.

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

Hey J Dubbya- What are your 2 hobbies? Guitars (obviously) and.........????

BTW...I STILL need to get that file over to you so you can lay down a good drum track for me. (priorities, priorities)

Robbing guitar stores, obviously :D Nah, I like to hunt the elusive Recycled Paper Target. They are always in season, and there's no messy clean up.

I'll try to lay something out using the full version and tweak it when you send me the one w/out the drum machine.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

I don't know the bottom one, just grabbed it from google images.

I checked back on the photo and apparently it's a Moog Minimoog Voyager Old School Analog Synth. Great looking bit of kit from a well known name.
The top one is the ARP 2600, the original 'blue meanie' version. They're pretty rare, if you can trade to brand-new Gibson LPs for it you've got a good deal. If you care about such things Arturia makes a great softsynth version of the ARP:

http://www.arturia.com/evolution/en/products/arp2600v/intro.html . You can control it with any keybord but obviously one with assignable controllers is preferable.

Thanks for the info. Well out of my league at the moment, but an intriguing area to look into...

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I know guys who have Hammond (organ) Acquisition Syndrome. That fills up the house fast!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 4