Notifications
Clear all

I HATE Jimmy Page!

45 Posts
20 Users
0 Likes
(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

Agreed. I don't doubt his playing ability, and he's certainly leaps and bounds better than I am. I just feel that his technical ability is significantly overrated.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Another well known guitarist once elluded to takes vs perfection in an interview. He said that if a song took more than a few takes to get right, he preferred to bag it for a while just because the feeling for the song was not longer fresh and real. I'd rather listen to feeling than precision.....as a general rule. I wish I could put it into words better.

And then there's the Beatles with one of their songs taking 67 takes and ended up using number 64 or something like that. I guess there's arguments either way, as that song was beautiful. My mind is drawing a blank as to which one it was, but It was one of their slower, prettier ones.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Being a huge LZ fan, I happen to love Jimmy Page. I think he wrote some of the most brilliant songs. I watched some old concert footage recently and can't imagine how he pulled off half of the stuff he played with such good timing. Especially considering how he moved around the stage for most of it.

Although, I can relate to what you're saying Vic, there's so many different chord voicings I've learned just by studying his music. How he managed to do most of them in the timing he did, is beyond me.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Agreed. I don't doubt his playing ability, and he's certainly leaps and bounds better than I am. I just feel that his technical ability is significantly overrated.

D'ever try playing some of the more complicated stuff by him?

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What tunes do you have in mind?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

I think your guy's problem is your trying to imitate someone who is just innately better than you. If your just an okay swimmer, don't do the same thing Mike Phelps(hope i spelled it right) does. If you haven't rode a bike since you were 13, you aint Lance Armstrong. And if you aint to good at rapping, don't try to be Jay-Z. I'm not saying you can't strive for their excellence, just do it in your own way. Some of us are just better at somethings than others.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Hmmm... you see, I've found that a tremendous amount of LZ is really only 4 or 5 chords... Am I missing something? I've been using a LZ anthology tab book and it seems like most of the songs are standard tuning and standard chords. It could be that I'm using the abridged version, but thought I'd throw that out.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRChVdIDeA&feature=related maybe?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

Dali, you 're right. Much of their music used standard open chords. No doubt about it. But Page is a huge fan of GADDAD /alternate tuning as well. Let me think.... I beleive the Rain Song is a good example.He uses a very strange tuning. Will have to look into that one. The thing is, even though you can play alot of their stuff by strumming open chords, Thank You song, Tangerine, D'Yer Ma'ker, the guy is brilliant at coming up with the melody lines and alternate rhythms to complimant those open chords.

Let me take a look at some tunes that uses some chords that challenged me.

But I think slej has the idea here...WATCH the guy play!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSRChVdIDeA&feature=related maybe?

It's okay, but I clearly hear signature Page riffs and progressions he used in other tunes. He's doing a lot of synthesis of well-practiced riffage here. If you have good timing and keep practicing and you will be able to do that sooner than you think. Moreover, alt-tuned Celtic/Indian drone style playing is really a lot easier than it looks/sounds. Try it. It's fun stuff. I doubt this is in the category of his most impressive playing. But again, I really don't think his strength is the actual guitar playing -- good, not great. His wizardry shows in the writing, arranging and studio work. All just as -- if not more -- important than playing the guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If you have good timing and keep practicing and you will be able to do that sooner than you think.

Couldn't one say that about 95% of rock and pop tunes?

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If you have good timing and keep practicing and you will be able to do that sooner than you think.

Of course, but you put this forth as an example of his superior technical ability, right?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Of course, but you put this forth as an example of his superior technical ability, right?

Well, as an example of "more complicated stuff by him." So, relatively speaking I suppose. But even then, I'm sure he lifted much of the song from Bert Jansch.

Yes, DADGAD/droney stuff can be fairly easy to play, though Page does have a few passages in this one that are of reasonable technical difficulty. Speedy riffs, no super complex jazz chords or anything like that.

He's no Joe Satch that's for sure ...

:ducks:

:mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@blueline)
Noble Member

For the technical discussion, I think gnease said it all..."His wizardry shows in the writing, arranging and studio work". No doubt.

Slej, you surprized me! Thought you would have have said he's no Lifeson!
I absolutely love "Hope" from Snakes and Arrows. Best album they've done in years.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Maybe I'm an idiot but why would studios use someone who is 'sloppy' with 'poor technique' for studio work? I think his sloppiness is more due to attitude then lack of ability.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 3