Notifications
Clear all

Neil Young

27 Posts
16 Users
0 Likes
(@scratchmonkey)
Honorable Member

There are quite a few Neil Young songs in the lessons section...I have a sneaking suspicion our Mr Hodge is a bit of a fan on the quiet!!!
On the quiet??? :?:
Picking a favourite album would be a tough choice, but mine would be Harvest....
That was Neil Young's favorite, too. Or so I read somewhere. (I've never actually talked to the guy)

-- Scratch 8)

"...if heartaches were commercials, we'd all be on TV" -- John Prine

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

i was not talking about the albums really...

i was talking about individual songs..

Rahul

tsk tsk. So picky. :lol:

Accoustic style? Hard rocking style? Both?

I mean the ones you like :D

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

OK. My favorites are:

The Needle And The Damage Done
Powderfinger
Down By The River
Old Man
After The Gold Rush
Mr. Soul
Broken Arrow
My My, Hey Hey (and hey hey, my my)
Sugar Mountain

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@ghost-rider)
Reputable Member

i was not talking about the albums really...

i was talking about individual songs..

Rahul

tsk tsk. So picky. :lol:

Accoustic style? Hard rocking style? Both?

I mean the ones you like :D

I like "My, My, Hey, Hey" tuned down a whole step (DGCFAD) with a B flat harmonica. The harmonica part is easy enough to tab out. The one difficulty for a beginner would be the F barre chord shape at the end of each verse. But an F barre chord will be easier with the guitar tuned down a whole step, (as the strings are less taut). Over the past year or so, I have had extended periods (ie a couple weeks) where I would have my guitar tuned down for this song; and then, play everything else with capo on the 2nd fret. So it is a special fave of mine.
:)
The first Guitarnoise lesson that I completed with satisfaction (on my part) was "Heart of Gold". Easy chords. David Hodge gives a number of ways of playing the verses, with straight strumming, palm muting the root; or arpeggio strumming. My guitar teacher showed me how to do a little "staccato muting" I guess you'd call it for the 6 downstrokes of Em in the first measure. After each downstroke slightly raise your Em fretting fingers so that the chord doesn't ring out as much. Nice effect. Also, the harmonica part in G is easy to tab out; and easy to play as long as you play the root note at each chord change.

The easiest and most satisfying is David Hodge's lesson, "The Needle and The Damage Done." This song is excellent for a beginner (like myself); because IT IS SHORT! (a little over 2 mins) And it has easy vocal cues. There's a nice combo of strumming and arpeggio; and I find it's easy to go from the strumming (C-F-Esus4-E) to hitting the D note to start the arpeggio. I think with this song, there's lots of room for dynamics with an emphatic strumming; vrs a quieter arpeggio.

If I was more of an electric guy, I'd probably choose "Like a Hurricane" or "Rockin In The Free World" (although there's an excellent live acoustic version of the latter on the "Freedom" CD.

If you're looking for a DVD, I suggest, "Rust Never Sleeps"

Just a few impressions,

later,
Ghost 8)

"Colour made the grass less green..." 3000 miles, Tracy Chapman

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

What do you think of Prairie Wind? I'm writing up my favorite albums of 2005.

I enjoy Prairie Wind, all the way up to the jarring reference to the hated and despised Chris Rock. Well, I hate and despise him so hearing Neil Young sing out his name gave me a bad case of the yuks. My favorite, like another fellow here is the Freedom album. Back in the day when I was just picking up CD's every once in a while, far away in Japan and away from any cultural influences to inform or guide me. Bought it cause I liked the cover. Bought Kate Bush, the Sensual World the same way. Two of the best CD's I've ever purchased. :-)

Excuse me while I try to figure out how to put an image at the bottom. Woo, it works. Get Nils, I've been playing with his picture. :-)

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Listen to him on CSNY's 4 Way Street...he steals the show I think.

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Excuse me while I try to figure out how to put an image at the bottom. Woo, it works. Get Nils, I've been playing with his picture. :-)
Gee, I would have made a great pirate :lol: :lol: I may have to use these with your approval

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@gadlaw)
Reputable Member

Gee, I would have made a great pirate :lol: :lol: I may have to use these with your approval

Totally your pictures. Yours for any use you have for them. Glad you aren't steamed. I'm a minor photoshop wizard for fun and enjoyment. :D

Enjoy your karma, after all you earned it.
http://www.gadlaw.com

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Glad you aren't steamed.
Not in the least. Thanks

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
 klim
(@klim)
Reputable Member

Rust Never Sleeps is another great one, but you can find GOLD in any single album that he's done. In fact I just bought the CD for $6.00CDN. Just about the only thing you can find cheap in Vancouver is CD's and DVD's, otherwise it's too expensive to live here now.

The truth is I never owned this album, but I when I first heard it at my best friend's house for the first time it just blew me away. Hey Hey, My My (into the black) made want to pick up guitar in the first place, but then my interest only lasted for a year back then. Too much drink and too much smoke made me lazy.

When I first found this website and learned My My, Hey Hey (out of the blue), it was one of those pinnacle moments in one's life that you can say... WOW!!! Thank you David Hodge!

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Totally your pictures. Yours for any use you have for them. Glad you aren't steamed. I'm a minor photoshop wizard for fun and enjoyment. :D

And don't forget that nils is a seasoned Irfanview craftsman :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

He has a new greatest hits compilation out that's a good representative selection.

Whatever you get must have "Cinnamon Girl" on it. It's one of the world's great rockers.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2