Ness K Vs. Cover Bands

217 Posts
27 Users
0 Likes
18.1 K Views
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I dig through old music that I pretty much know is good to fill in the gap when the current music isn't that great(like nowadays in rock and hiphop) It's like, "No new band interests me right now and my favourite current bands/artists doesn't have a new album coming out for a while,I'm buying another Pink Floyd album"

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I know this would seem obvious but you won't ever have a new Jimi Hendrix song.

Not necessarily so - there seems to be a new, or at least an undiscovered, Hendrix track out every time a "new" compilation is released. There's been far more Hedrix material released since his death than there ever was when he was alive.
I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about, songs that everyone loves but are just sick of hearing. The songs will vary from one person to the next but Bohemian Rhapsody tops my list.

Stairway To Heaven. Seems to be on every time I turn the radio on.
There is a vast amount of fantastic Classic Rock that you rarely hear. That old hit by Mott the Hoople is a perfect example. Great song, but I don't think I've ever heard it on a Classic Rock station.

I listen almost exclusively to Planet Rock, either on-line or via cable TV. I hear a LOT of Mott on there, especially "All The Young Dudes" and "All The Way From Memphis." Even Planet Rock seems to have a fairly static play-list, though - AC/DC, Led Zep, Aerosmith, Stones, Pink Floyd and the Who seem to be the most played. What you won't hear is early Beatles pop - what you might hear is late-period Beatles, Get Back or Helter Skelter for example.

Some bands seem to have a play-list of about 2 or 3 songs - the only Metallica I've ever heard on there, for example, is "Sandman" and "Nothing Else Matters."

Then again, the programmes are varied, and there's plenty of listener participation. And some of the DJ's - Tony Iommi, Ian Anderson, Alice Cooper, Rick Wakeman and Phil Manzanera, to name but a few.....like to pick their favourites. And every now and then, a new name'll jump out at you....for instance, the other day I heard of Alvin Youngblood Hart for the very first time.

Generally, Planet Rock plays a lot of music I like - that's why I listen to it! It currently boasts about half-a-million listeners, which isn't bad for a "minority" station.
Most radio listeners are young.

Dunno about that one, Wes - there's such a huge range of TV stations these days, kids would rather be watching music videos than actually LISTENING to the music. Or playing games on computers or consoles. There is far more choice of leisure activities than when we were kids.

And as for classic rock dying out - well, Oasis and U2 also get played a lot - along with a bit of Indie Rock. It's more than likely that bands like Arctic Monkeys, Kasabian, The Zutons and Snow Patrol will be classed as "Classic Rock" in a few years time.

I do know one thing - if I never heard another new record, I'd still never get bored with the music I've got.....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I think by percentage, the eras are about equal.

You need to understand that the songs the classic rock stations are playing are like a sample of all of the best music written, in their opinion, over a 30 year period. I almost guarantee if in 20 years time you select the best music from the thirty year period after that you will find that the music will at least match it.

If you take any one year, or even week from within that period, I am sure you will find about the same garbage:gold ratio that we have today, perhaps even more rubbish. If you look back with rose glasses on that massive chunk of music history, it's easy to say that today isn't competing. Although in my opinion i probably prefer the eras either side of it to be perfectly honest.

Guys who came out of that [period are only now writing their best stuff, like Pat Metheney for example, played with joni mitchell with jaco etc. in the 70's but now writing arguably some of the best guitar based jazz ever, at least on par with guys like Schofield. And still innovating.

And then there are bands like the Mars Volta, amzingly innovative band, one might argue too innovative for the quality of the songs to shine through. But I'm sure that was what people said when pink floyd started experimenting with (gasp) Stereo recording instead of mono. Or when queen started making ridiculously awesome studio albulms with tape delay and all sorts of things that the minds of the time struggled to grasp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnAZTItYxUQ&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIwTxkTEUqY&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2ayKK8E7gc&feature=related

Don't sweat it dude, just play!

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

I think i also have the benefit of being into a few more alternative genres where innovation is the word of the day at the moment. Especially with punk.

Check these guys out, 80's hardcore fused with the melodicism and hooks of modern pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FicQ4hBBUV4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXW58ewzf0c&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQayn5kV7qs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NOqMeu4fB8&feature=related

Amazing band doing the DIY thing.
* Edit And that first song all the proceeds go towards a foundation to help get street kids off heroin.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I do find that the playlist on the "Classic Rock" stations in our area have certainly changed over time. Whereas, in the past the music played consisted of what I would traditionally call classic rock (ie. late 60's, early 70's artists like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, Janis Joplin, Cream, The Doors, etc.) I find those same stations now mixing in more bands that came of age in the 80's (like U2, Van Halen, etc.). I'm sure 20 years from now those same "Classic Rock" stations will be dominated by bands/artists from the 90's and today. Having said that, I do think there is a distinction to be made with respect to what radio stations define as classic rock (for marketing purposes) and what people in my age group (I'm 40) traditionally associate the term with. Hard to explain I suppose, but when I think of "classic rock", for me its part "era" but also part "music style" , but necessarily exclusive to either, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I too have noticed that about the radio stations and similarly the use of the term in this discussion to talk about music from the 80's as "classic" rock. In the 70's and 80's the music I listened too would never have been called "classic" rock. "Classic" rock then was from the 50's to maybe the mid-60's. So, maybe Wes is right that "classic" rock will always be around because it just keeps getting redefined to be rock or rock-like music from 15 to 20 years ago and older. Pretty soon Nirvana and Pearl Jam are going to be "classic" rock. I mean 80's hair metal is already in that category.

I think there must be some oldest cut-off point too because I don't think I've heard 50's rock songs (no Rock Around the Clock or Rocket 88) on the "classic" rock stations lately - though in the 70's and even 80s those were played. So maybe it stops being "classic" rock at some point and becomes ancient rock and so no longer the "best music ever"?

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Most radio listeners are young.

I'm having trouble finding the stats right now but in general the hours per week of listening to the radio and watching TV is down across the board but very strongly in those under 25.

What I did find that was interesting was the listenership data for various radio formats compiled by age and gender. Have a look here - http://wargod.arbitron.com/scripts/ndb/audience2.asp . Arbitron is the big radio ratings company. Set the format to "Classic Rock" and the Daypart to "MON-FRI 6AM-MID" (the numbers are similar for the weekend). You will find that in the oldest data from Fall 98 that those 35 or older made up 59% of the listeners. That has grown to 73% in Spring 07. It sure seems that the classic rock format listeners are getting older. Teens 12-17 listening to that format have remained firmly fixed at about 3%. Those numbers (for 35+ and teens) are roughly the same for "Adult Contemporary" (think Michael Bolton, Yanni, and Kenny G).

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Pretty soon Nirvana and Pearl Jam are going to be "classic" rock

Yeah, they get played on Planet Rock - as do songs like "Black Hole Sun."
I think there must be some oldest cut-off point too because I don't think I've heard 50's rock songs (no Rock Around the Clock or Rocket 88) on the "classic" rock stations lately - though in the 70's and even 80s those were played. So maybe it stops being "classic" rock at some point and becomes ancient rock and so no longer the "best music ever"?

Yeah, that's a shame. I mean, I still love songs like "Blueberry Hill" and "Great Balls of Fire" and "Wake Up Little Susie"....I wish there was a radio station that covered music from the mid-50's to the present day, but in a "rock'n'roll" state of mind. Oh, hang on, there is.....it's called Windows Media Player!

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

I do find that the playlist on the "Classic Rock" stations in our area have certainly changed over time. Whereas, in the past the music played consisted of what I would traditionally call classic rock (ie. late 60's, early 70's artists like Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, The Who, Janis Joplin, Cream, The Doors, etc.) I find those same stations now mixing in more bands that came of age in the 80's (like U2, Van Halen, etc.). I'm sure 20 years from now those same "Classic Rock" stations will be dominated by bands/artists from the 90's and today. Having said that, I do think there is a distinction to be made with respect to what radio stations define as classic rock (for marketing purposes) and what people in my age group (I'm 40) traditionally associate the term with. Hard to explain I suppose, but when I think of "classic rock", for me its part "era" but also part "music style" , but necessarily exclusive to either, if that makes any sense.

Yeah, I too have noticed that about the radio stations and similarly the use of the term in this discussion to talk about music from the 80's as "classic" rock. In the 70's and 80's the music I listened too would never have been called "classic" rock. "Classic" rock then was from the 50's to maybe the mid-60's. So, maybe Wes is right that "classic" rock will always be around because it just keeps getting redefined to be rock or rock-like music from 15 to 20 years ago and older. Pretty soon Nirvana and Pearl Jam are going to be "classic" rock. I mean 80's hair metal is already in that category.

I can say that on the "urban" or R&B/Soul side of the radio they long ago stopped playing the 60s classic Motown or Stax hits and our "old school" oldie's stations advertise that they play the music of the 70s and 80s. Mostly picking up after Motown moved to LA and their political songs started and the rise and fall of funk.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

Make my funk the P-funk! I wants my funk un-cut.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

I like to play covers cauz it won't be decent enough to play uncovered. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@mahal)
Estimable Member

Make my funk the P-funk! I wants my funk un-cut.
Wouldn't you know it, that song has been pruned from the old school radio rotation or playlist. To make room for New Jack Swing, Hip Hop and other Black music styles as 90s stuff begins to show up on the old school radio stations the entire P-Funk catalog has been stripped down to Funkadelic's Knee Deep and Clinton's Atomic Dog..

Just as 60s music is down to one Temptations song, one Jackie Wilson song. I imagine that the same happens on "classic rock" radio. Not only do they play the absolute best of the time they play what is most revalent to the upcoming audience.

When NBC had that where are they now battle of the one hit wonder 80s bands playing I do bet everybody was shocked that any rap act on the show tended to win. Maybe because a young Southern California studio audience, more latino's then the national average, voted the winners. Maybe because rap has stagnated and what they were doing 25 years ago is most comfortable and the same as what those kids in the audience listen to today.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Just as 60s music is down to one Temptations song, one Jackie Wilson song. I imagine that the same happens on "classic rock" radio. Not only do they play the absolute best of the time they play what is most revalent to the upcoming audience.
I believe they also play what they're currently getting paid by record labels or concert promoters to play.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

I believe they also play what they're currently getting paid by record labels or concert promoters to play.

My 2nd ex-husband was a radio DJ. He started out on the old "underground" radio stations in 1969 when DJ's actually got to do their own thing. They put together their "shows" themselves, sometimes playing entire albums and introducing audiences to new music that couldn't be played on mainstream (AM) radio. He used to take "kickbacks" from labels and promoters (anything from cash to "gifts") until it became illegal in the mid-70's. (He still got show tickets for free, though!!)

Nowadays, though, most radio stations (at least in the US) don't really hire "talent" anymore. They hire button pushers with good diction and personalities to play the pre-programmed music purchased from a radio network. They're provided with "carts" (cartridges) that contain either fast, medium or slow songs and are told to play 3 fast/med and 1 slow, 3 fast/med and 1 slow, etc.... That's why all radio stations sound basically the same. They all follow the same format that is provided for them and play the music that is provided for them. They don't have any say in what is played and I think that's a shame!

I miss the days of Underground Radio!!!

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

If you want to play with the numbers try this site: http://www.arbitron.com/home/ratings.htm

For example, for Classic Rock:
New York City = 11th
Atlanta = 5th (Classic Hits)
Boston = 11th
Chicago = 11th (Classic Hits) or 21st (WLUP Classic Rock)
Denver = 9th
Los Angeles = 9th (Classic Hits) or 18th (Classic Rock)
San Francisco = 17th

Regarding "new" classic rock, both local stations have been playing Nickelback's "Rock Star", which is a classic theme with numerous versions by many bands over the years.

ReplyQuote
(@spides)
Estimable Member

My 2nd ex-husband was a radio DJ. He started out on the old "underground" radio stations in 1969 when DJ's actually got to do their own thing. They put together their "shows" themselves, sometimes playing entire albums and introducing audiences to new music that couldn't be played on mainstream (AM) radio. He used to take "kickbacks" from labels and promoters (anything from cash to "gifts") until it became illegal in the mid-70's. (He still got show tickets for free, though!!)

Nowadays, though, most radio stations (at least in the US) don't really hire "talent" anymore. They hire button pushers with good diction and personalities to play the pre-programmed music purchased from a radio network. They're provided with "carts" (cartridges) that contain either fast, medium or slow songs and are told to play 3 fast/med and 1 slow, 3 fast/med and 1 slow, etc.... That's why all radio stations sound basically the same. They all follow the same format that is provided for them and play the music that is provided for them. They don't have any say in what is played and I think that's a shame!

I miss the days of Underground Radio!!!

Too true, there are still a few good community radio stations in melbourne tho, that literally play everything from traditional african to 30's blues to reggae, to techno, to punk, to metal. Everything, all dependant on the dj. That's the only radio i liesten to, it's ear opening stuff.

Whilst yes it did become illegal for record companies to give stations "kickbacks", they now privately pay individuals as middle men to do their dirty work for them, without anything on paper of course. They have people who they give, say, $3000. Now if that person decides he'd like to give $2000 worth of nice "presents" to the radio station thats his own prerogative. Although they have over the last 5 or ten years been cracking down on such arrangements also. I'm purely quoting a show on the US industry i saw, I think its still legal in Australia.

ReplyQuote
Page 14 / 15