Skip to content
Normally I think of...

Notifications
Clear all

Normally I think of setting a guitar on fire as cliche....

23 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
(@ghost)
Prominent Member

Now that's what I call showmanship. :lol:

EB -Good lesson in not leaving guitars or equipment at a friend/bandmates house. :shock:

"If I had a time machine, I'd go back and tell me to practise that bloody guitar!" -Vic Lewis

Everything is 42..... again.

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Here is Maliciant's picture he was talking about:

It would be cooler if he was still playing.

It's still just beyond me why anyone would want to burn or smash a perfectly good guitar! I'll never understand the reasoning. :?:

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
 Bish
(@bish)
Famed Member

:shock: :cry:

Bish

"I play live as playing dead is harder than it sounds!"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

It's still just beyond me why anyone would want to burn or smash a perfectly good guitar! I'll never understand the reasoning.

Maybe the guy had heard that Arthur Brown's putting a band together and was auditioning for lead pyromaniac, er, guitarist?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=hD6KUzP3MQQ

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@kevin72790)
Prominent Member

It's not like the guy is making any money, is getting any fame or whatever for doing that.

What a waste of a guitar, match, and oil.

As for the other pictures, that's awful...hopefully he recovered alright from that disaster.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

Don't try this at home folks. And definitely don't try it on your guitar. But...

.. he may actually have done little if any damage to that guitar. If you use the right volatile spirit it can burn quickly enough not to light or even scorch the wood. It wouldn't be hard to coat a guitar with something that protected it further and do something like that just for show. It would just be dumb and would doubtless get you banned from anywhere you tried it.

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@maliciant)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

No biggy on a thread hijacking, it's an on topic thread hijacking and since the link I posted wasn't good for anything (well, was too many steps to see the actual image if you werent logged into myspace) it probably kept the thread alive. I had internet trouble earlier and didn't get to repost the image but someone beat me to it so all is well.

I'm pretty sure that the only benefit to burning this guitar was a cool picture and a short lived laugh from his friends, but it is a pretty good picture. Looking at the guitar I don't think the wood has been damaged at all yet at this point, but either the finish is melting or he used something pretty thick to set that thing on fire (and anything thick that burns doesn't evaporate fast) so I'm sure that guitar is toast. I wouldn't do it myself but maybe it was a low end guitar, with a fully tweaked out neck, from a sudden climate change as a result of his military career, and the strings might have been so old and beat that it just sounded aweful and wouldn't stay in tune at all anymore... in other words, he put it out of it's misery in a blaze of glorious fire!

I don't know the guy though so really it's probably just some drunken idiot move.

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

Nicely burned guitar. Where are the ashes buried ?

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2