Songs that made you cry

71 Posts
33 Users
0 Likes
10.4 K Views
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member
Topic starter  

Ok it's the time to open your heart. Remember all those winter moments, looking at the rain outside, feeling a bit touched about someone that left you, or reminicing your long forgotten happy childhood? and then you hear a song, that song that makes you cry! Be honest, which songs did actually make you cry?

Here's my (unfinished) list.
'Come Dancing' - The Kinks . ( absolutely nostalgic song. When the brasses play at the end of the song it's time to weep like a boy).
'Golden Slumbers' - Beatles ( a true gem by Macca).
'I've been Loving you too Long' Otis Redding. (Find out a youtube video of this song and just check it out )
'Somebody to Love' -Queen. (pure feeling).
'What a wonderful world' - Louis Armstrong (it's a pity that they have overused this song..but I have to confess that this one is pretty touching).
'Take this Waltz' - Leonard Cohen (there are other LC songs in my list, but I think this is the best example).
'Caroline Says II' - Lou Reed . (if you have some wine inside, and you're a bit sad it's difficult to stand this song).
'Musical Box' Genesis. (The ending part when Gabriel shouts : 'why don't you touch me! is priceless).
'Brilliant Disguise' -Bruce Springsteen. A really convincing story.The boss is really fragile here.
'Requiem' Jethro Tull. A beautiful song from Minstrel in the Gallery.
'Just Another High' - Roxy Music. When Bryan Ferry croons the entire world cries.
'Ashes to Ashes' - David Bowie. Bowie's masterpiece.
'Department of Youth'- Alice Cooper. A song that made me laugh and cry at the same time.
'Island' King Crimson. (One of the saddest song in the Crimso catalogue).

More soon!!

(@blueline)
Noble Member

OK..I'll bite.
I'll have to give a think on this some more but...the quick list would be:

1- Don't Give Up- Peter Gabriel -So (When Kate Bush sings---"don't give up"), I fall apart
2- Release - Pearl Jam - Eddie kills me wehn I listen to that song
3- I dont remember the name of the song but it went something like "Billy, Don't be a hero...". Back in the 70s when I was a kid, they used to play this on AM radio and it got me every time.

Teamwork- A few harmless flakes working together can unleash an avalanche of destruction.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I'm not sure there was a song on it's own that ever made me cry but if I did I'm not sure it was the song or the fact that it reminded me of a painful experience and that memory of the experience is what made me cry.

I did breakup with a girl several years ago and I used to get sad when I heard the song "If you could only see" by Tonic.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@ness-k)
Estimable Member

Not trying to sound all tough, but I've never been much of a cryer, but a few songs have came close. Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here is one of the most senitmental songs ever. I almost cried when I first heard that through headphones. Led Zeppelins Ten Years Gone was good but I wasnt about to cry. Jay-Z Regrets was another one that was close. Plenty others came close, but never put me over the edge.

"The Beauty of Music is my Sanity. Without it, I would simply lose my gravity, and blow away with the breeze." - Ness K(Aka Matt Harris)

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

OK, I'll expose my tender side :)

Blueline, +1 to Release. I actually did tear up at Bonnaroo because Eddie dedicated to a friend of his whose father had died the day before

Another Pearl Jam song that gets me every time is "Man of the Hour", from the Big Fish movie soundtrack. My dad died when I was pretty young and it reminds me of the man my mom told me about. And the lyrics...

"Father he enjoyed collisions; others walked away
A snowflake falls in May."

...really get to me because he died in a car accident in May.

"Far Behind" by Candlebox can be a tear-jerker because it is very similar to the situations around my mom's death.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

1. Empty Garden - the pain of losing a friend, and knowing that he's never going to answer the phone or open the door again.

2. Everybody Hurts - 2 1/2 years later I still cry and miss my Toby Ann, my 16 1/2 year old cat who died of chronic renal failure. She was my baby.

3. Could It Be Magic - reminds me of when I met my spouse.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

3- I dont remember the name of the song but it went something like "Billy, Don't be a hero...". Back in the 70s when I was a kid, they used to play this on AM radio and it got me every time.

That was exactly the song name, "Billy Don't Be a Hero". Done by Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, and Paper Lace.

And yes I agree, it's a tear-jerker.

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

There's only one song ever got to me that way....not long after my dad died, Gilbert O'Sullivan had a major hit with a song called "Alone Again Naturally." There was a section in it that went,

"I remember I cried when my father died never wishing to hide the tears,
He was fifty-five years old, my mother, God rest her soul,
Couldn't understand why the only man she had ever loved had been taken..."

Apart from the age (my dad had just turned 50) it was just so true to life...and I still can't bear to hear that song.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Israel "Iz" Kamakawiwo'ole's medley of "somewhere over the rainbow/what a beautiful world"
especially if you have young children
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4XhMANcCbM

#4491....

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Aaron Neville "Tell It Like It Is"

When I say him with The Neville Brothers in concert
I turned into a blubbering idiot.

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
 Cat
(@cat)
Noble Member

Okay...setting the scene...just moved from USA to Oz. Knew hardly anybody, newly retired and bored thanks to that...all my music stuff was on 120 volts so wouldn't work...wasn't into much of a good vibe...three young kids and a high maintenance wife...was wondering how I could "save myself" from all that was being dumped on me.

Then I heard BLUE SKY MINE by Midnight Oil.

Cat

"Feel what you play...play what you feel!"

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Long long time - Linda Ronstadt : if there is a sadder song about love I don't want to hear it . Add the music and Linda's vocal and it will bring chills to your spine .

Love will abide, take things in stride
Sounds like good advice but there's no one at my side
And time washes clean love's wounds unseen
That's what someone told me but I don't know what it means.

Cause I've done everything I know to try and make you mine
And I think I'm gonna love you for a long long time

Caught in my fears
Blinking back the tears
I can't say you hurt me when you never let me near
And I never drew one response from you
All the while you fell all over girls you never knew
And I think it's gonna hurt me for a long long time

Wait for the day
You'll go away
Knowing that you warned me of the price I'd have to pay
And life's full of flaws
Who knows the cause?
Living in the memory of a love that never was
Cause I've done everything I know to try and change your mind
and I think I'm gonna miss you for a long long time
And I think I'm gonna love you for a long long time.

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

"And in the end....
The love you take...
is equal to the love
you make....."

Last sung line on "Abbey Road" after the tour de force of the entire second side. (excluding "Her Majesty")

Every once in a while when I need a jolt out of a bad mood I play it at VERY high volumes and after this line I feel drained and better than I was.

Kudos to Vic for "Alone Again, Naturally". Another good one. Haven't heard it in awhile though.

"Tears in Heaven" Eric Clapton. I lost a son a long while ago and this gets me every time.

"Jesu, Joy of Mans Desiring" Bach. One of the most beautiful pieces of music ever written and it's really apparent on guitar, I am asked to play this a lot at Church functions and it is appropriate at funerals, weddings and baptisms. (also is great at high volumes and high gain too! :twisted: Try it, you'll like it! :twisted: :twisted:

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Empty Garden - This one will suck some day as my Step-Father (Johnny, and is an AVID gardener) isn't doing that great. We heard this a while ago and I told my wife, "this song is gonna really suck someday", and she agreed with me before I could finish the sentance.

Wild Fire by Michael Martin Murphy.

But, the number one tear jerker of all time is Bobby Goldsboro's "Honey". And he sang this with a bit of a smile back in the day. WTF???????

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@metallicaman)
Honorable Member

Comfortably Numb.

Id have to say for sure, during the second solo nothing can keep me from it. Nothing has moved me more.

Sing Me A Song Your a Singer, Do me a wrong, your a bringer of evil. - Dio

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 5