Clear all

SRV appreciation thread

20 Posts
13 Users
0 Likes
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member

Life by the drop!!! As simple as it is (12 bar blues)....... that song kicks ---!!! He plays more complicated stuff but, the words that were written for him for that song are SO powerfull.

"That's how it happened livin' life by the drop"....................

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

My first memory of SRV's playing was the distinctive session work he did on Bowie's 'Let's Dance' album. The whole thing was an interesting juxtaposition of Bowie's hipster and SRV's blues stylings that really happened to work. It's probably fortunate that the two had differences and parted ways after the 'Let's Dance' tour -- SRV got just the boost he needed for his solo career. I like Bowie, but think his work seemed to suffer in his subsequent collaborations with backing musician's of Tin Machine. TM just didn't add the drive or fire that SRV did.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member

I was hoping to see some SRV fans when i joined..........Stevie is the reason I picked up a guitar.

I own three DVDs and one tribute dvd
Five Cd's and multiple downloads
Mary had a little lamb
pride and joy
little wing
lenny
SKy is crying
love struck baby
tin pin alley
all greats u can't name just one

Jimmie invented it Stevie perfected it and (in my opinon) the Los Lonley Boys are keeping it alive and letting it live on. If u get the chance get their DVD live from austin and watch the last instrument it's amazing what they do...........................

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Maybe I've got this wrong, but wasn't Jimmy with the Fabulous Thunderbirds? If so, I recall seeing them many years ago in the Chicago area when Tough Enough was their big hit. I was very disappointed in the lackluster show and could never understand all the Jimmy V. worship. Just a bad night for them?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@yoyo286)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Yeah.. Jimmie was with the Thunderbirds... I do think he has gotten a little more attention because of SRV. I think he means SRV learned off Jimmie, but Jimmie certanly(If he's talking about blues) invent it.

Stairway to Freebird!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2