Clear all

this is a wierd guitar

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

has anyone seen or played one of theese unusual guitars heres a link to it.
http://www.freenotemusic.com/site/index.html

(@rahul)
Famed Member

Why not get a fretless guitar and have infinite number of frets?

Rock On! :D

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I can understand why you'd want to find those in-between notes - or microtones, as they call them - but what's wrong with bending strings?

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@classicshredder999)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

yeah i dont really like the guitar, for me it would be to difficult to play and i really dont think they sound good

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Interesting guitar, but I have enough trouble with the simplest? I'd go with bending the strings too, I use it as a cheat to get a note without having to change position and finding the right fret. :roll:

"If your playing is baloney, then wiggle and bend 'em like they're macaroni!"

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I think they call it "Meantone".......there would a G#, as well as an Ab & they would not be the same note.

I Know a guy that plays a fretless guitar, with sometimes multiple slides. He uses the Meantone system....I guess it's as old as music itself.

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Can I get that with a scalloped fretboard? :mrgreen:

Seriously, though - I don't really like it ...it almost sounds out of tune half the time while he is playing it. Oh, I get it - it's supposed to sound that way.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

Seriously, though - I don't really like it ...it almost sounds out of tune half the time while he is playing it. Oh, I get it - it's supposed to sound that way.

Only because you grew up listening to music in the equal temperament system. When the tuning system changed (it has multiple times) there were always those who didn't like the new one. Meantone might be the "best" overall but it has a big problem in that it is tuned for a single key only and when you switch keys you need to switch tuning.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Can I get that with a scalloped fretboard? :mrgreen:

of course I cannot argue with your opinion, but it's pretty hard to miss the added dissonance of equal-temperment tuning ("normal"), especially with distortion. as a metal guy, I would have thought you'd appreciate the added tightness of harmonic-based tuning.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

of course I cannot argue with your opinion, but it's pretty hard to miss the added dissonance of equal-temperment tuning ("normal"), especially with distortion. as a metal guy, I would have thought you'd appreciate the added tightness of harmonic-based tuning.

Don't know what to say, except I can't argue with what my ears are telling me. I did listen to the audio clips, and I can "tolerate" the sound of that tuning, but I certainty don't prefer it. Oh well, to each his own...

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

I guess we do it automatically as we bend those blue notes.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Don't know what to say, except I can't argue with what my ears are telling me. I did listen to the audio clips, and I can "tolerate" the sound of that tuning, but I certainty don't prefer it. Oh well, to each his own...

and I can't argue with your ears either -- it's your perception and opinion.

I used to manage codec (e.g., AAC, PAC, MP3) objective testing for a codec design group. Among the "unofficial" observations among the experts and program managers, were that people acclimate pretty quickly to what they hear, and many do not hear obvious distortions and artifacts (codec mistakes), even after training and in A/B comparo scenarios. and even among the expert listeners there were big differences in perception. that led us to use groups of expert listeners to probe as many dimensions (e.g. harmonic distortion, frequency modulation, transient distortion, imaging, freq response …), because no one expert "heard it all." for music, the acclimatization and general fuzziness of perception can be big pluses, especially where equal-temperament tuning is involved. it works well enough and gives us incredible flexibility.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Back in the LP days Todd Rundgren put one out with a cut simulating all the bad record artifacts on it. I had a hard time hearing them, because I was used to hearing that stuff.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

if the guy's basic tone wasn't so horrible, it might have been more interesting.

i have a fretless bass thinking it would free me up to microtones and all that stuff, but you just end up playing the same stuff you'd play normally.

ReplyQuote