Skip to content
What other stringed...

Notifications
Clear all

What other stringed instruments do you all play?

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I dabble in a dulcimer and mandolin right now,but I got a hankering for a ukuele.There small,easy to string,and come in different sizes. I've been wanting both a tenor and a soprano.I don't know why,but they just look like it would be fun to play,and you can take them anywhere.I can play the mandolin a little bit,a few straggly riffs and chords,but the neck is a tiny one,since it was made in China.I was just wondering if I was the only one who wants to play a uke> What else to you play?

(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

Bass every now and then.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I have a tenor uke. No way you can play a uke and stay in a bad mood.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Gchord, you are very clear on what you do, and want to do. That is admirable.

I want to get a ukelele too, now that Fender makes one with abalone, mahogany and the telecaster headstock. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUUxqKogcWs Check this Tele-uke w/maple fretboard, oh my goodness!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAMWndHwT-U&feature=related Does anybody know where this honey is sold eh? :shock:

And how did train get this super beauty? Abalone city! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVpv8-5XWOI&feature=channel

Whoo hoo, found it! Koa uke with gloss top and binding, isn't she loverly? This is what turned me back on ukes. :oops:

I played ukelele but was embarassed about it, ages 5 - 15. People assumed I could play guitar too; that has been mentioned and is another topic but it is the very reason that I picked up a chord book and the guitar at age 15. :roll:

I played bass more at 15 than I ever have since - it was exciting & new, I still have one, will never give the last bass up.

Never has it been known, that I played 5 string banjo ages 17 - 20, and alternated it into my Coffee House gigs when bluegrass made a little comeback, and Deliverance was the movie of the day. I had 2 banjos till 2 years ago, and still have 2 very old mandolins - the 1918 Gibson is rough through ignorance on my part, but I have a 1922 Martin as new.

Here's my Mando & the youngest 4-6-8 stringer, waiting for a uke too.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was looking at the Lanikai ukes on Musician's Friend,and the price are not that bad.That's one of the things I'm looking for.You can can a soprano model for $60-$75 and a tenor for $149.Kind of funny,but before anybody mentioned ukuelle,visions of Tiny Tim burst into my mind,then I saw a guy on YouTube playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" and it was pretty impressive.Not to say I'll ever be that good.A woman gave me a ukuelle last year,it's probably 50 years old,a no name laminate model.I tried to fix it,but the luiter advised to buy another one instead since it would be cheaper.That's what got me interested in them.

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Blue Jay,being a Fender man,I love the headstock! Price is great as well!

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)

One of the important things you need to check for in a uke is how well it stays in tune. The tuners often separate the decent, moderately priced ones from the rest of the pack in the price range.

As you're finding out, there are lots of different makes and models out there. If you've not tried out Luna's line of ukes (yes, the Luna of Luna guitars), you should add that to your list of brands to test out if you can. Very reasonably priced and well constructed.

One of my friends plays a beautiful sounding uke that has an archtop and F-holes like a jazz guitar. Don't know the make (might be a Kala?) but I'll see if I can find out.

Peace

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I like the ukes. I discovered them thanks to Dogbite, he uploaded a blues played with an uke and it sounded really cool. Joe bought an uke some months ago and I also remember some comments of Roy. That did my interest on the ukes grew up. And I was watching a video where David was playing a Tahitian uke. Cool instruments.

I was trying to find an uke a couple of weeks ago. Here it is not a frequent instrument. I asked in several stores but I was only able to find one! By the way, the Fender koa uke. It is very beautiful! Another store was waiting for a couple of Lanikai, a soprano and an electric tenor. The soprano is very cheap.

On your question. Sometimes I also play guitars (the electric bass is my main instrument). Usually I play my acoustic once or twice a week and the electrics every now and then.

I'd like to play other stringed instruments: the double bass, I will play it sooner or later. I like very much the violin, sad and happy at the same time, very expressive. And this morning I was watching several YouTube videos with mandolins, cool instrument as well!

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

I play the mandolin, but the guitar will always be my primary instrument. I was recently in Hawaii and tried a couple of ukes at a farmers market. OK, that's not the best place to be looking at instruments, but the fact that they would not stay in tune for even one song was a real turnoff. Also, since I've never owned a classical guitar, the nylon strings felt kind of funny. Like any other stringed instrument, you have to spend the money to get something decent or you're not likely to stick with it. It seems like if you play guitar you should be able to just jump in and start playing the uke, since the relative tuning is the same.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Other than guitar I play bass guitar, mandolin, dulcimer and anything percussion except for drums (unless you count congas).

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I tried violin at school when I was about 12; never really got a decent sound out of it. Tried cello, wasn't much better at that, so took up recorder!

Since I've played guitar, I've dabbled with the bass; haven't got one at the moment, but I really want a 5-string bass - I write a lot of songs in G and D, I want the option of that low D note on the bottom string!

One day, I'd quite like to try mandolin - they're quite expensive over here though, at least in the music shops I've been in.

As well as guitar, I can play harmonica a bit, keyboards a little and the recorder reasonably well. The one instrument I'd love to play, though, is the Saxophone - again, they're very expensive in England. Penny whistle's a bit closer to my price range....

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

I do a decent job on anything with frets - I've doubled on bass, and I've dabbled with mandolin, uke, banjo and a few oddball instruments like the balalaika.

Besides that I play a bunch of things:

- percussion; studied it from a child right through college, and played professionally for a couple years with jazz bands and in musical theater. I've played at least 30 different percussion instruments - everything from drum set to marimbas to castanets, and I'll still sit in on tympani once in a while with a community orchestra.

- piano; after college keyboard classes I took private lessons for five years.

- recorder; I played soprano in a baroque ensemble in college. Back then I had a really fine pearwood instrument that fell prey to a teething puppy about 25 years ago, and I just couldn't justify spending several hundred $ on a new one. Now I've got a cheap one I'll pick up once in a while. It doesn't have anything near the tone of a good instrument, especially in the upper registers, so it's just not as much fun to play. But I'll pop off a Bach bouree every now and then just for the heck of it.

- clarinet (wayyy back when), harmonica (which I really haven't done in years, but I used to play both straight harp and chromatic) and flute (still own one, but only get the time to play every couple of months, so I can't claim to be much good at it).

- I was probably the worst brass player in music ed classes in the 70s. But a couple months ago I had the chance to acquire a pretty decent bugle, so I'm working on fixing that. My tone's getting better (verrrry slowly!)

And lately I've been craving a cello. That's probably next.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@blueman2)

I've dabbled at mandolin and have been playing a lap steel for the last few years if that qualifies as a different instrument. You certainly get a different sound.

GuitarStorage.com - FREE Give-a-way Contest During October

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Tryin' to do something with keyboards........That used to be a stringed percussion......is that for you too Elecktrablue?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Lap steel. Dulcimer, and Strumstick which is really a dulcimer. Have dabbled with mandolin and uke, and gusli. The dulcimer of which I speak is the Appalachian lap dulcimer that the musicologists say is really a zither, not the hammered dulcimer. I've tried playing one of those, and man alive, is it complicated!

I used to play recorders a lot, and have a full set of the cheap plastic ones minus the bass.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2