Skip to content
What other stringed...

Notifications
Clear all

What other stringed instruments do you all play?

22 Posts
15 Users
0 Likes
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Lap steel. Dulcimer, and Strumstick which is really a dulcimer. Have dabbled with mandolin and uke, and gusli. The dulcimer of which I speak is the Appalachian lap dulcimer that the musicologists say is really a zither, not the hammered dulcimer. I've tried playing one of those, and man alive, is it complicated!

I used to play recorders a lot, and have a full set of the cheap plastic ones minus the bass.

I have a mountain dulcimer which I bought at Silver Dollar City in Branson,Mo.My sister has both,she plays the mountain dulcimer with a wooden slide,or noter.I saw a short video clip of the late Rich Mullins,and man that guy could play a hammered dulcimer! When I play the dulcimer,I play it on a small table instead of my lap.I've also played it upright like a guitar and it feels pretty comfortable for me that way.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The noter's the traditional way to play it. Folkie guitarists in the '60s figured out you could chord it like a guitar, but that just adds complication and takes away its beautiful simplicity.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@gchord)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I saw some clips of guys that play with their fingers,using chords and finger notes and these guys are good.When I was in North Carolina I bought a cd from a Christian bookstore titled "Dulcimer Praise" and it has some of the best music and playmanship I ever heard.Of course it does have guitar in the background,but it's still great playing.One of my favorite cd's to relax to.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yep, it's gotten popular to play that way. Lots of old guitarists around.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Oh ya, I forgot, 5 string banjo...a bit

ReplyQuote
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

bass- i'm ok, nothing great. played the bass for a kid's thing once and they liked it.
banjo - i'm bad at it, but they're fun
uke and mandolin - i can plunk out a melody and basic chords but i get lost easily. everything's upside down.

non-string:
drums - decent. can step in and keep things going if there's no drummer around. almost won a speed drumming contest once, but my playing's pretty standard. definitely not flashy.
djembe - good, tend to overplay. i have fast hands and like polyrhythms.
piano - bad. took lessons for years, but quit when i was about 10. can barely read music anymore.
harmonica - good. soulful, not technical.

instruments i have tried to play but cannot:
didgeridoo
violin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Guitar and an occaisional G string that's it!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2