What CD's do you listen to while......

25 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

DennisF6,

I've only listened to it when I've rented cars that had it but I have to agree with you on that one. But besides the commercials I really hate most of the DJ's on the radio they are also so phony wanna be comedians.

I have to watch where I say that though since I'm married to one!!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@stormymonday)
Reputable Member

In all three cases I just put my iPod/iTunes on shuffle and listen to whatever comes up.

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

I don't listen to the radio unless I need a traffic report or the news. In the morning, one station out of 18 that I have programmed will actually be playing music.

My current favorite bands to listen to in the car are Reverend Horton Heat and the Legendary Shack Shakers. I'm going to see them both in Boston on Sunday. I've been listening to the Rev. for years, but I just started listening to the Shack Shakers since the Rev. is touring with them. Now I'm hooked on them.

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I should look into that XM Radio.

Surprised to see some people are not able to listen at work. :( I'd go mad if it weren't for the radio or a CD I put in.

I broke it down for me for the most part, though it could change really fast depending on my mood. Fast heavy stuff while driving, upbeat blues or classic rock at home and mellow blues at work (or "easy listening" on the radio).

I can go from Tina Turner (on the radio) to System of a Down really quick at work though. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Sirius and my iPod mixed and matched in various situations.

Also, I confess to bias, but ...

Sirus has much better music and personality programming than does XM. I have both -- no comparison. My 13 y.o. daughter agrees. She won't even let me turn on XM.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

What do you need to get started with Sirus, Greg?

I've seen radios that promote XM ready, but I don't recall any that are promoted as Sirus ready. I would imagine I'd have to subscribe and any XM ready radio would work the same for Sirus. Yes?

IIRC, isn't that the one that you can take in your house when not traveling? You would just need to have something to hook it into?

I plan on getting an in-dash radio/video put in my 02' Envoy with outs that go to 2 monitors that I plan on getting mounted in the headrests for the boys when we travel. Yeah, I'm a nut job! I've always been keen on Alpine. Do you have any recommendations on the radio/video? Seeing that your in the biz. and all.

Thanks

Hey, I just hijacked my own thread! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@dennisf6)
Trusted Member

Sirus has much better music and personality programming than does XM. I have both -- no comparison. My 13 y.o. daughter agrees. She won't even let me turn on XM.

I don't want to get in to an XM vs Sirus battle. I know people who have both and prefer XM. I know people who have both and prefer Sirus. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. For me "personality programming" is something I wanted to get AWAY from. The less talk the better. Just music please. And, although I don't know your daughters tastes, I am pretty sure the music interests of most 13 year old girls are not the same as this 47 year old guy.

But the important thing is - either one is MUCH better than regular radio and offers advantages over your own personal music collection. Great variety, lots of music that is new to me, and no commercials.

I want to play guitar very badly -
and I do!

ReplyQuote
(@chuckster)
Prominent Member

Whilst driving I tend to listen to CDs that I've just bought or bought recently.

At home pretty much anything rock or blues - as the mood takes me. Have also just got digital radio so Planet Rock gets quite a lot of air time. Haven't tried XFM much yet.

At work magnetic and optical media are a big no no. Analogue radio is all we have. Oh and television. It varies between Virgin on the radio and BBC News 24 on the television in roughly equal amounts.

8)

I've had a lot of sobering thoughts in my time.
It was them that turned me to drink.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I don't want to get in to an XM vs Sirus battle. I know people who have both and prefer XM. I know people who have both and prefer Sirus. I guess it just depends on what you're looking for. For me "personality programming" is something I wanted to get AWAY from. The less talk the better. Just music please. And, although I don't know your daughters tastes, I am pretty sure the music interests of most 13 year old girls are not the same as this 47 year old guy.

But the important thing is - either one is MUCH better than regular radio and offers advantages over your own personal music collection. Great variety, lots of music that is new to me, and no commercials.

I'm your age -- but am often "accused" of being younger. :roll:

Even though I am with Sirius, I'm not really trying to raise one company over the other. In this rather specialized industry, what's good for one is generally good for the other -- something I have to repeat occasionally to members of my product engineering team. From a programming difference POV, I agree that Sirius inserts more personality into the programming and XM does less. After listening to both, I was suprised to find I did actually like some personality with my music. The other major differences are specialty channels: Some examples are Howard Stern (I'm neutral), Playboy (not touching that), Martha Stewart, NFL, Nascar on Sirius versus Opie and Anthony, Ron & Fez, Oprah and MLB on XM. Both offer regional traffic and weather in the standard package.

In any case, both satellite radio companies ofter a great alternative to broadcast radio. Most people who try either are blown away by the difference.

Mike:

In the auto world, cars are usually either Sirius-ready or XM-ready, but not usually both. Both companies have exclusives with certain vehicle makers, but some auto brands offer both options. XM and Sirius receivers are not the same, and they are not compatible. The aftermarket receivers options for both companies cover quite a range of cost options: depending on special sales and rebates from $30 to $350. Almost all aftermarket designs are Plug and Play. Meaning once installed in a car with a dock and connection into the car's audio system (FM, aux in or cassette adapter), the unit can be removed and taken to another car or home or boombox accessory to continue listening. The high end are portables that require headset antennas for good reception outside of city areas. In the cities, either company's portables will receive signal in one's pocket, as both XM and Sirius suppliment city coverage with terrestrial repeater stations. The high end Sirius portable (Stiletto 100) also offers WiFi reception of all music and some talks channels -- convenient indoors, where satellite doesn't work so well. There is more cool stuff coming, but as they say, "If I told you, I'd have to ki.."

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
 Mike
(@mike)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

:lol:

Thanks Greg..... and you can stop looking at me like that, you're creaping me out. Hey, put that....ahhhhhhhhhhhhgurglegurgle

Thanks for the info. :D

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2