Clear all

What is your Holy Grail?

49 Posts
31 Users
0 Likes
(@arfinwulf)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Just a general survey for fun, but that is your Holy Grail, as in what is THE song that if you could learn to play well (performance level) then you could die happy? There are plenty of songs I'd like to play, and I can play sort of play a few now, but my Holy Grail is Leader of the Band by Dan Fogelberg. It's beyond my skill level (that damn B chord and my small hands...grrr) but it's what I humbly aspire to, and will happily learn easier songs along the way to build up my skill and hand strength for it. 8)

Namaste.

(@rahul)
Famed Member

This thread will go to O&P.

Well, there are many songs I would love to play. Maybe even have such a song of mine...

I would like to be able to play like Chet Atkins/Jerry Reed (even in my dreams).

But if I am ever able to do the above, I would want to live even more from that point so that I could play in front of people !

Lets just hope good days come in future. 8)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Stairway to Hea ...

Stairwa ...

Sta ...

Spirit of Radio by Rush.

On both bass and guitar.

100% accurately. 8)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Ragamuffin, Aerial Boundaries, Rootwitch....Michael Hedges

although I no longer practice or listen to his stuff.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Bolero - Ravel. I've heard some great guitar versions (even a sitar version).
Friends - Zep
Yesterday
Dust in the Wind (all the way through, past where the lyrics start ).

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@minotaur)
Noble Member

Stairway to Hea ...

Stairwa ...

Sta ...

Spirit of Radio by Rush.

On both bass and guitar.

100% accurately. 8)

It is difficult to answer when one does not understand the question.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Achilles Last Stand & The Song Remains The Same.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@rahul)
Famed Member

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL :lol:

So they have circled out the 3 tone monster songs.

Now what if a customer comes and plays all three straightaway ?

(To be serious, may I also add 'Eruption' to the above list. Looks like every dude is trying that one with amps to max).

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

Concierto de Aranjuez on my classical side

Jessica, by the Allman Brothers, on the meaty side.

Probably lots of others, but they'll do for now

Need to add "Smells like teen spirit" to that banned list

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

"You'll Never Walk Alone" a la Gerry and the Pacemakers, but obviously on guitar rather than piano. Got a decent tab for it, but there's a LOT of chord changes and some of them are a bit tricky...but I will get round to it one of these days. Kashmir - tried it a while back, gave up. Then I thought, "you aren't going to beat me" so I dug it out again - not mastered it yet, but I'm getting there.

A couple of songs I used to wish I could play are Nantucket Sleighride (Mountain) and Vigilante Man (as done by Ry Cooder)....I worked long and hard on both of them, and can play them pretty well now - VM in open G, with some fretting and some slide. At one time, I never thought I'd get either of them down to my satisfaction, but with time, hard work and practise I got there.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTuBGDPXOM

I'll die a happy man if I even play that.

ReplyQuote
(@boogie)
Honorable Member

Testify by SRV :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpTuBGDPXOM

I'll die a happy man if I even play that.

You know, I have trouble finding ONE bass note with my left hand and playing melodies or chords with my right....I'll stick to playing simple chords on keyboards, I think, and I'll also stick to what I'm good at....rhythm guitar. Watching a guy like that playing piano does make me want to pick up a keyboard and practise - for about 5 seconds, till I hit a bum note. And that's on a good day!

Yep, definitely guitar for me! AND - I've decided what my next "project" is going to be. I'm going to learn - rhythm AND lead - "Won't Get Fooled Again" so's I can play along with the CD AND I'm going to alternate that with CCR's version of "Heard It Through The Grapevine" so's I can also play along with the CD.

Hey, I never gave up on "Under The Bridge"....I can manage a passable version of that now, albeit with a slightly different intro. Likewise, I worked on a version of "Behind Blue Eyes" that I think I could do at an open mic - now all I've got to do is find an open mic within travelling distance. Easier said than done - this used to be a one-horse town, as they used to say in the old westerns....but even the blacksmith gave it up as a bad job and moved on!

Oh well - back to the guitar.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

for me it was the guitar parts for the Rolling Stone's 'Can't You hear Me Knockin'. I had the record and sat with my guitar next to the hifi. I played a short phrase, took off the needle, and tried it out. I followed each string and note. it took all summer. that was a long time ago. through the years I sometimes put on the CD and jam along. I haven't forgotten.
the big thrill happened when I was in a band. during a break in rehearsal I played the intro. the drummer banged the drums at the perfect spot. keeping perfect time we played the song.
the lead singer and band owner ran down from outside. what is that? he said, it's great.write down the lyrics cause we're gonna cover that.
and a week later I played my thrill song on a stage at a big city night club. it was awesome.
my dream came true.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@adrianjmartin)
Estimable Member

John Butler: Ocean

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=6VAkOhXIsI0

i'll need five more strings for my guitar though ;-)

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 4