Notifications
Clear all

Modern Method for Gtr Vols 1-2-3 by Will Leavitt

28 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
16 K Views
(@Anonymous)

Ah.  That was just a random guess sort of a thing,  ya know?  I will see how far I get and be happy with that.  Although the calendar is a wee important since I started so late mumble grumble (hehe 15 is late)...

I finished my first two pages today!  Don't tell anyone it takes me about 10-15 seconds per note!!!!!

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I am on page 25.  I'm making slow steady progress.

Noteboat was right most of the pieces are melodic although there have been one or two that were dissonant.  The dissonant ones were challenging.

I am struggling with  the timing of dotted notes especially where a dotted note is followed by an eighth or sixteenth note.  At least I know what one of my weaknesses is and can work on it.

That's all for now

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@evilspudboy)
Trusted Member

I found that Tedesco book for $13.95 here:

http://www.luthiermusic.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=18_40_41_43_29_177_157_42&products_id=9253

Now look at them yo-yo's that's the way you do it you play the guitar on the MTV

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

A bargain.  The list price on mine is $8.50, but I bought it something like $25 years ago, and I thought it one of the more useful investments I've ever made in guitar books.  It's gone up a lot less in price than most things over that period of time.

The original publisher, Dale Zdenek Publications, was sold to Warner Brothers a while back.  I never bought a bad Dale Zdenek book, and I think I bought them all... they were the first publisher of Chord Chemistry, Sight to Sound, and a bunch of others.  I highly recommend it!

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@ovation_player)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Well I have been using the Leavitt books off and on for about 10 months now and I am sad to say I haven't made much progress. Sure I could have put more time in and sure I would have benefited from having a teacher but unfortunately with work and a family it's difficult to find time to practice let alone take lessons.

I did make steady progress the first few months but as things got more difficult for me my progress and my interest waned. I can keep up with the rhythm/chord playing exercises in the book. Having learned by ear for many years my chord/rhythm playing was well ahead of my sight reading. It does appear that these volumes move too fast for me at least in terms of sight reading and the guitar playing method that is being taught.

I don't have oodles of money to spend on books and I don't have time to take lessons. Is there another set of books, possibly slower paced that I can work with on my own that may be better suited for me? Mel Bay's method perhaps? Thank you

"This song starts off kinda slow then fizzles out altogether" Neil Young

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Mel Bay's Modern Guitar Method is definately a slower pace than the Leavitt series. Bay devotes a lot more space explanatory sidebars as well.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

Just my two cents:
I bought this book a month ago...and I have to tell you all that this is THE book if you want to learn music notation reading. Luckily I had bought Mel Bay first book, and I practice with both, which I find quite useful.
Anyway I still have some problems practicing with double stopsm since sometimes I strum unwanted strings....does anyone know there if mute string technique apply to double stops also?

Cheers
Roberto

ReplyQuote
(@redpoint)
Reputable Member

Something people may not realize is that Volume 1 is now sold with an instructional DVD, which is pretty good:
http://www.amazon.com/Modern-Method-Guitar-Berklee-Press/dp/0876390696/

It does cost as much as Volume 1-2-3, but I think the 14 hours of video is pretty useful!

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

geez ..and I bought the 123 version...maybe I will give it a try, but the book is definitely a must!

ReplyQuote
(@ricola)
Estimable Member

I have the Method 1 DVD version and I'm loving it. While Larry Baione is not the most thrilling guy to listen to, the DVD is very inciteful and full of tips that aren't written in the book. the DVD is done very nicely and it allows you to play along with the instructor which I really enjoy.

I only wish the others would also come with a DVD!

Psa. 42:8
By day the LORD commands his steadfast love,
and at night his song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life.

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

After many months I finally bought the DVD alone directly from Berklee (since I had already purchased the 1-2-3 book). Folks , I will say it again: This is THE method for Guitar. PERIOD!! This DVD is excellent and Larry Baione is a superb teacher and ,as the previous posters comment, he gives excellent tips not included in the book, and you notice he's a kind and experimented instructor!..he clarified many doubts that I had when I was studying the lessons from the book.
Again, Highly Recommended!!

ReplyQuote
(@rgalvez)
Prominent Member

I just want to mention that I finally bought Tommy Tedesco's 'For Guitar Players Only' and I'm really happy I did it. There a lot of sight reading exercises which complement the Levitt method..and the best of all, there are tips for the novice and the pros..he was a superb session player (he played everywhere from Beach Boys, Sinatra,Tijuana Brass, to Bonanza, Rockford Files, The GodfatherEnter the Dragon and Mission Impossible) Now I'm thinking to buy his Autobiography.Thanks for the advice Noteboat !

ReplyQuote
(@bluezoldy)
Reputable Member

I just want to mention that I finally bought Tommy Tedesco's 'For Guitar Players Only' ...

Yes, I bought it this month too. It was republished this year and sells for US$19.00.

♪♫ Ron ♪♫

http://www.myspace.com/bluemountainsblues

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2