Notifications
Clear all

Bob Dylan...and singing for that matter

17 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@dennett340)
Estimable Member

When I read that post about "anyone can sing there" was a lot of talk people saying things like "bob dylan was a bad singer but he just did..." these people probably dont listen to a lot of dylan, or know much about singing for that matter(in my estimation). Listen to mr tamborine man or it aint me, he sings on key his voice soars at the right times, you feel the emotions hes feeling. If thats not singing I don't know what is. A 3 octave range can still sounds like a machine and kurt cobain had the range of a cork gun. Its about conveying emotion not sounding like an opra singer (though that part is cool too haha)

And another thing haha. A lot of people said things like my voice sucks its not my fault I can't sing. Actaully your completely wrong it is entirely your fault you can't sing. Im not saying there arent some people who is comes easier too, im saying that itll come to anyone who trys enough. Practice scales as much as you can for 6 months and see what happens, its a muscle, it gets stronger but only if you work it out. Singing a scale once and deciding that its hard and you sounded bad so you should stop would be like a young body builder looking at the world champion and deciding that hes lifts 500 lbs and I can only life 200 and its really hard and he was born with bigger muscles wahhhh. This man will never be a world champion. And you will never be a good singer if you don't give it some work.

This should be a sticky. As a vocalist, I couldn't agree with you more. Yup, you have to practice in earnest and undergo a phase of trial and error to find the right feeling which becomes your point of reference in terms of producing a resonant sound. Simply put, before you can run, you gotta learn to walk or even crawl. Before you can sound like Bono, you gotta spend your time in the trenches as a crappy singer, do the dirty work and take those baby steps and have enough patience to improve little by little.

ReplyQuote
(@indiana_jonesin)
Estimable Member

So...suck it up and belt it out? I think I can do that!

"Yes and an old guitar is all that he can afford,
when he gets up under the lights to play his thing..."-Dire Straits
http://www.myspace.com/misterpete42

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2