Skip to content
Can someone please ...

Notifications
Clear all

Can someone please critque my voice? (some questions)

9 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@sgittles)
Topic starter  

Okay, so I'm only starting to learn the guitar. Not at a level to play when singing, for sure. :( I really love singing by myself, though, so I recorded a song with a karaoke tune. Now I'm having serious doubts about my voice, and I have lots of questions, so if anyone can help, that would be SO appreciated.

LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=300c43dcc4e872940de4fc1039a01674f9f720a40e6fdac85621d66e282a0ee8

My biggest questions are about my range. I'm almost 15, and a girl. All girl songs go at least a LITTLE high. It's kind of like the one thing you really need to be a singer- lots and lots of range. But my voice is really low! I get all kinds of strain when I attempt to sing even the MALE high C, or anything very close to it. I'm working with this program called Singing Success, which is supposed to be really good, but I don't think it's helping. I feel horrible! I love singing to no end, but I feel completely trapped inside my voice, unable to let loose and hit notes because my voice is so frustratingly limited for a girl. Thing is, people have told me that my voice sounds like it can go high... but it cant. So my questions:
a) is it really possible to expand range??? if so, how?
b) do you think I have any chance of a future in music (especially with my range problems)?
c)do you think there is a possibility of vocal nodes? My voice is usually somewhat hoarse, and I never feel real ease when singing... it's often an effort. Also , I'm pretty sure I used to go higher.

General HONEST critique also reallly, really wanted!!! Thanks so much everyone! :D

(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

So your all of 14 and your worried about all these things? Lifes to short, stop worrying. First off almost no body likes the sound of their own voice. There's nothing wrong with yours! You don't have a range problem. All you need to do is practice. I suggest you take choir at school, it equals free singing lessons. As for a future in music, that depends on your desire and your drive to fulfill that desire. There are lots of ways to have a future in music, but not everybody is going to be a rock star. If you think you have some type of physical problem, go see a doctor.

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

If you really think that you have a medical problem, I second the suggestion to see a doctor.

There are lessons that claim to expand range. I've never tried them. I've been singing a long time and I think you can expand your range a little by learning to sing more comfortably at each end, not by changing what your vocal chords can do. Warming up with vocal exercises before you start singing songs helps a lot.

If it turns out that you just have a low voice for a girl, you can't change that. I know that if you're thinking about singing with a school chorus, you don't want to sing with the guys. But I've spent four years in a community chorus and ten years before that in a different community chorus. In both of them, over half of the tenors have been women. That's the part that fits their range.

I didn't listen to your singing so I can't critique it. I'm reluctant to download anything that I don't absolutely trust. I've had enough computer viruses to be very cautious.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

I like your voice! There's a good a tone to it and it sounds individual! And you sound MUCH more mature than a 15 year old. So stop worrying.

There does seem to be some range issues... caused by tension somewhere. I suspect your throat. Maybe some exercises on breathing and placement would help. But its hard to telll... maybe post a video??

If you really want to get better, join a choir or get some singing lessons, you could be great.

Keep on singing though, you sound great

F.Y.I.

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

I haven't downloaded the track because my laptop wont play sound, and I was only browsing this thread, but as far as having a low or small vocal range is concerned, how much you contribute to music really depends on your perspective. You can choose to see it as a limitation, be plagued by self-doubt, and pass by opportunities because you're so locked into the "I'm no good" mentality that you don't see them. Or, you can take what you have and work with it, find the opportunities to develop and perform or create them where you see none. Having a deep voice didn't stop Nina Simone or Amy Winehouse, and having a bad vocal tone certainly didn't stop Bob Dylan or Leonard Cohen. So, no matter what you think is stopping you from enjoying developing as a singer, there's no reason to believe yourself on this. I'm not saying it wont take work, but it is far from impossible.

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@sgittles)
Topic starter  

Oh, thanks, guys! I really appreciate the replies- they're informative and very kind. :D
Yeah, maybe I'll get around to posting a video!!! And I dunno... I really want to join a choir, but my school doesn't have one. Kinda sucks. Maybe I'll just have to start saving for lessons??!!!
Also- yeah, I know I'm pretty young. But singing means a lot to me and this problem is very frustrating. So of course I'm a little worried.
Thanks again for your replies!!!

ReplyQuote
(@tim_madsen)
Prominent Member

I really want to join a choir, but my school doesn't have one.

Think about joining a church choir or community chorus. I joined my churches choir and am very glad I did. I've learned so much about singing I can hardly believe it. And it was all free :)

Tim Madsen
Nobody cares how much you know,
until they know how much you care.

"What you keep to yourself you lose, what you give away you keep forever." -Axel Munthe

ReplyQuote
(@eunice_hairburger)

a) is it really possible to expand range??? if so, how?

Yes, definitely. I can't currently listen to your song there, but when I was 12-13, I started singing along with songs on the radio and tapes/CDs (I'm 31 now. Back in my day, we had tapes, lol), and found it really difficult to sing certain notes that at the time I considered high. I kept trying, most days or everyday even, and soon enough I found those notes easier and easier. And so on. You just have to try and reach notes a bit higher than what's comfortable regularly, and your range will stretch on its own. Now, when I sing a song I remember I used to not be able to do or find comfortable back when I was a teenager, I laugh cause it's not high at all for me now! (although by the time I was about 16 or so, I actually had a better range in terms of high notes than I do now. Dammit!)

b) do you think I have any chance of a future in music (especially with my range problems)?

Again, I haven't heard your song, so can't say, but just cause your voice is low, doesn't mean you can't have a fantastic career in music. In fact, I ADMIRE women with low singing voices. I find it hot. lol. You probably don't know who any of these people are, but try a search on Youtube for people like Grace Slick, Marianne Faithfull or Joan Armatrading. All quite low voiced singers, and they've all had major success in music, and over really long stretches of time. Decades of success.

In terms of any range problems...I can't comment on this either yet until you try for a long time to stretch your range.

One thing I want to mention though is if your throat is hurting when trying to stretch it, more than a bit, stop and see either a doctor or a singing teacher. Probably the singing teacher is most relevant here. Unless your throat hurts ALL the time, you're most likely just singing with incorrect technique (which most singers do, including myself).

c)do you think there is a possibility of vocal nodes? My voice is usually somewhat hoarse, and I never feel real ease when singing... it's often an effort. Also , I'm pretty sure I used to go higher.

Unless you've been singing incredibly loudly and straining your voice for YEARS, and also talking at high volumes and straining your voice then too, I highly doubt you'd have nodes at 15.

I've read that nobody is supposed to sound hoarse when speaking or singing...nobody, and it's NOT apparently a normal voice type. Apparently if you speak and sing in hoarse tones, you're doing some sort of damage to your voice or you're using it wrong. But I don't know how true this is really...

In any case, if you're feeling it's an effort or strain to sing, well, you're not singing with the right technique. You're straining your voice to produce whatever sound you're getting. I'll listen to your song tomorrow and comment more.

ReplyQuote
(@eunice_hairburger)

Ok, I had a listen, and here are my thoughts...

a) You sound naturally to be a lower voiced girl, which is fine and even a GOOD thing in my opinion. You CAN stretch your range upwards if you want to, and develop quite a good/wide range.

b) You've got a really nice tone. Nice and strong and interesting.

c) You sound like you don't know how to sing higher notes. On some notes (one in particular), you sounded like you were straining to get it. (I actually LIKED that sound though on that note, but it may not be healthy). This is part of learning to USE your range, as well as stretching it. You have to learn and get used to singing in a different way at different parts of your range.

ReplyQuote