Clear all

Nervous beginner singer bares her soul

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Okay, seeing as so many other brave souls have posted their singing in the past...

I started having singing lessons three years ago. I had always been told I had a terrible voice and so was terrified of the thought of someone hearing me -- to the point where I couldn't even sing Happy Birthday as part of a group (I'd hip hooray though :lol: ).

Anyway, I started learning guitar, and that gave me the inspiration to face my fears. I thought it would be good to at least see if I was tone-deaf, and if not, then I could learn the basics and maybe learn to sing just enough to write some songs (which hasn't happened yet, but I'm taking baby steps).

My first singing lesson was sooooo scary. I had to sing in front of someone. But she was very gentle with me, and when I left I felt that I wasn't completely hopeless (and certainly not tone-deaf). Since then, I've progressed slowly, but each year I've taken part in the concert my teacher puts on with her students. This year was my third concert (and so the third time I had sung in public). We had four rehearsals with the band (which consisted of two runs through of your song -- there were 18 students).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImT7Q1jRh8

It's pitchy, but considering where I've come from, I'm happy with my progress so far. The band was fantastic too (The Frocks) and really helped me feel comfortable -- oh yes, did I mention it was the first time I'd ever sung with a band as well? :roll: Although the drummer did apologise as I walked off stage that she'd gotten a bit excited in the count in and so it was a rather faster than usual version of the song :shock: No wonder I was puffed by the end! And smoke machines!! That was another new experience :shock: :lol:

It was the most fun I've had singing! (so far :twisted: )

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

(@daven)
Estimable Member

Good job, it is fun isn't it!

ReplyQuote
 KR2
(@kr2)
Famed Member

It if makes you feel any better, I talked in front of people every day for a living . . .
well they were teenagers . . . almost people.
but I would probably faint if I had to sing in front of a crowd. :mrgreen:
Speaking of which, the audience looks like they were having a good time.
People were up on the floor . . . dancing . . . that had to help.
Good for you for taking the plunge . . . it will probably get easier each time you do it.

It's the rock that gives the stream its music . . . and the stream that gives the rock its roll.

ReplyQuote
(@hobson)
Noble Member

When I read in some of your posts that you were taking singing lessons, this is not what I visualized. So you want to be a rock & roll star?

Yes, there are some pitch issues, but not bad. Your voice is fine and works well on this song.

You are very lucky to have found a supportive voice teacher. The first time I tried to take voice lessons, I was very nervous and had no self confidence at all. I was already playing guitar and loved to sing. A friend of mine was taking voice lessons and I decided to try the same teacher. His approach was all wrong for me. He implied that if I didn't have self confidence, I didn't belong in his lessons. What a great situation you have with your teacher and the shows that she arranges for all of you. You are not only learning to sing, but to perform.

Renee

ReplyQuote
(@nathan080)
Estimable Member

Well done! Very impressive... also totally unexpected... looked totally more rock and roll than I expected m/ :D.

Film more gig's and post them!

F.Y.I.

From Your Influence...
http://www.overplay.com/BandProfile.aspx?BandId=e78b497f-4f31-4182-8659-e8b6fa91d582

http://www.youtube.com/user/FromYourInfluence

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the comments.

It was a barrell of fun, and my voice does prefer the more "belty" songs, but I'm not sure what I want to be when I grow up :P

The day after this concert I spent the afternoon doing an a capella workshop with a fantastic group called The Idea of North http://www.idea.com.au/

120 people attended from all sorts of musical backgrounds (although I'd say a lot of choir people). At the end of the afternoon we had to break into groups dependent on experience and voice type, learn our parts of a song and be able to make select changes to it (tempo, percussion, etc.) and then perform it in front of the group and have them guess the changes we had made. Sight-singing is a skill I am going to really work hard on. And pitch :oops: Although I think that improved as I became more familiar with the Alto line. I may have been way over my head, but it was soooo interesting and challenging and opened my eyes up to a whole different range of possibilities.

As for singing teachers... I made a point of finding a teacher that was happy to take a fearful beginner. At the time I started, she was also doing corporate workshops, using music for teambuilding, so I figured she was used to working with "non-singers". It amazed me how many teachers out there advertise "will only work with semi-professions". I know my teacher has a huge waiting list, and I am very lucky that I found her first up. If I'd had a negative experience, I would have slunk away and probably not tried again.

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote