14 Users
0 Likes
12.9 K Views
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well done Vic fantastic job
I've made the four lines beginning with David's line into a bridge because, well, it just seemed to flow better that way.

my thoughts exactly when I read it, no issue there. Ive downloaded it and will have a go at the bass and congas maybe later

cheers
Paul

Check out my Reverbnation page here

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

Well Done Vic,

I'd be interested in one or more of the solo spots and some electric fills.

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

I would dearly love to have a crack at a little solo or anything actually but have reservations my playing level to achieve the quality recording this deserves ...

If no-one else puts their hand up ..I'll come off the bench :D :D :D :D

Here is to you as good as you are
And here is to me as bad as I am
As good as you are and as bad as I am
I'm as good as you are as bad as I am

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

I would dearly love to have a crack at a little solo or anything actually but have reservations my playing level to achieve the quality recording this deserves ...

If no-one else puts their hand up ..I'll come off the bench :D :D :D :D

Well, for the solo spots, I was thinking maybe two lines of the Am / G / F / Em / G progression for the intro, another two lines after the first verse, two lines between the bridge and the third verse, and another two lines to finish - four spots in all.

Good on yer, Trev! Got to get your feet wet sometime. Give me a chance to re-do the guitar track first, though - like I said, what with spending half a day working on the music, by the time I came to record it my fingers were worn out!

Unless - if you download the track as it is from Soundclick, and practise playing over the intro. That'll give you the feel for the progression. Once you've downloaded it, as a matter of fact, you could import it to Audacity, copy the intro section, cut and paste it a few times till you've got a couple of minutes worth, and play over it again and again till you get something you're happy with.

:D :D :D

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hey Gang! :D

Vic - Great job Bro!
Looks like everyone is happy with what you've come up with (%

So, just reading thru this, I had the thought that maybe somebody else could do the rhythm track....
NOT that I don't like your playing Vic!
Far from that.

I was just inspired by the combination of Trev's enthusiasm, coupled with Chris C's idea.

In fact, I was thinking that maybe Chris C. himself might like the job! (I know how much he likes being volunteered for participation! :wink: )

That way, some of the people who have little recording experience could benefit from this 8)

What You think?

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Fine by me - maybe I could share some of the solos and fills with John and anyone else. Or maybe I could just add keyboards. There's a hundred thousand ways we could do this, and no-one's said we only have one shot at it!

Vic

"Sometimes the beauty of music can help us all find strength to deal with all the curves life can throw us." (D. Hodge.)

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Have done what you suggested Vic mate

I hope no-one expects anything mind blowing from me ...I'll have to practice a fair bit on it and even then well ..We will have to wait and see :D

But will be trying , thanks ,,,,

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

OK I've recorded a bass line to this song, you can find it here http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=476331 .
Ive included a mix and a single bass track. As for the congas I think we should wait until we see how the mix develops.

cheers
Paul

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

In fact, I was thinking that maybe Chris C. himself might like the job! (I know how much he likes being volunteered for participation! :wink: )
What You think?

Ken

Nice try Ken.... :mrgreen:

Seriously though, thanks for being kind enough to think of me for the job, but I thought Vic's version was just fine, and it really captured the sort of mournful 'Leonard Cohenesque' style that I think you were looking for. I'm also already seriously overcommitted right now, so I'm currently trying to shed a few projects rather than gain any more.

Of course if I had more talent, it wouldn't take long.... :) I went for my second singing lesson yesterday and had a first hand view of what you can do when you do have the ability. The guy - an old rocker from way back - has a little mini studio in his shed and we spent most of the first two lessons chatting about it all, and attempting to sort out a few computer glitches he was having. The thing was still not cooperating properly so eventually he skipped a few steps and just picked up a somewhat battered looking nylon stringed Ibanez acoustic/electric , glanced at the sheet I had (which was in C) , pressed the record button and played a minute's worth of the song - only transposed on the fly into E to suit my voice. :shock:

Then he mumbled something about showing me a trick that would make it sound better. I thought he was going to do a few mouse clicks and get the computer to 'double up' the track. But, no, he just hit record again and played it all over again, perfectly matched to the first track. Then he stuck the headphones on and sang it. I really wasn't expecting him to have much of a voice to be honest, but I've never heard it sung better. Each step done in one take. He left the click track on, dragged it onto my thumb drive as a Wav file, and my job is to loop the minute and then spend some time singing along with him until I've got the hang of the song. Right.... :|

Every time I play it back and get ready to start practice, my jaw drops to the ground again and I have to re-start the recording. It feels like going along for your second guitar lesson and finding you've been asked to open alongside Eric Clapton that night...

Maybe in a few months I'll be croaking something roughly in time, but in the meantime it's worth every cent of the lesson price just to watch and listen to him at work.

Good luck with shaping up the song. I'll do applause this time... :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

....captured the sort of mournful 'Leonard Cohenesque' style...

Hmmmm.....funny, that....Ken mentioned a "dark, Doors-y feel" to me, and I had that in mind while I was recording it - when I played it back I thought, "sounds more Leonard Cohen than Jim Morrison".....if I'd had a capo handy, I'd pobably have done it in a slightly different key, possibly capo'd at the third fret - might have changed the whole mood of the song.

Vic

ReplyQuote
(@barnabus-rox)
Famed Member

Nice work Paul

Sounds terrific

Still working on what Vic said , hopefully week-end I might have some thing :) week-end my time

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Trevor :D

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@vic-lewis-vl)
Illustrious Member

Nice bassline, Paul! It's "there" without being obtrusive, and it's carrying the pulse of the song along. Works for me!

I'll re-record the song ASAP, though - you prepared to do it again?

Vic

ReplyQuote
 pbee
(@pbee)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi Vic,
you prepared to do it again?

yeah no problem

cheers

Paul

ReplyQuote
(@straycat)
Noble Member

oh I'm so curious to hear what it sounds like! the lyrics are terrific, I think! can't listen to your recordings for I'm in the university liberary, but as soon as I got my own internet acces at home, I'll do!

oh, yes, am in Stockholm now, but as I said, still lacking a proper internet connection- will continue SSG soon!

meanwhile, I bow to all of you for this beautiful collaboration!
straycat.

"oh, eventually it will break your heart" - anders wendin

ReplyQuote
Page 5 / 6