Notifications
Clear all

SSG 4 - Week 13 - dhodge

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

According to the clock, I've got eighteen minutes left...

There's a lot to be desired with this one, but I'm very happy with the music, even though I borrow liberally from the song-within-a-song Moonlight In Vermont, as you'll hear when I post it up bright and early tomorrow morning at the usual place.

For now, though, here's the lyrics (as of the moment, anyway). Like Kathy, I had trouble coming up with a subject everyone else hadn't hit upon (either this week or the last time we did this). And like Kathy (not to mention Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz), I truly didn't have to go any further than my own backyard....

Making Snow

Moon pokes out at one
Tells me that I'm halfway done
Six hours gone
Another six to go

The groomer chugs along
Singing its familiar song
And like anyone
I sure hate to sing alone

We should be making love in the moonlight
But I'm out making snow tonight

You should see this place in June
When the mountain laurel bloom
And the winter gloom
Is just a memory

The groomer's headlights shine
Through the maples and the birch and pines
And in my mind
You are walking here with me

Instead I'm making snow tonight

Now there are tougher ways for one to make a living
It may be beautiful but all I really want
Is to lie with you beside me while the fire dies away
And the radio plays Stardust
Or maybe Moonlight In Vermont

But I'm out making snow tonight

But I'm out making snow

©2006 D. Hodge

Peace

(@beans7178)
Reputable Member

way to wait until the last minute ur on top of the game for that resolution nd if memory serves your four for four. no real criticism here except id be curious to know what you meant by making snow, its late and im tired so i cant quite pick out the meaning. great job though

spencer(beans)

chec out my music
http://www.myspace.com/spencerbeasleymusic
pm if u like it or send me a message on myspace

ReplyQuote
(@martin-6)
Honorable Member

What's a groomer? Is it like a snow plough or snow blower or something?

ReplyQuote
(@davidhodge)
Topic starter  

The MP3 is loading as we "speak" and you should be able to find it here:

http://www.soundclick.com/davidhodge

Now that I've gotten all that done I should address a few things - first off, and probably most important to some of you, this isn't an allegory or a metaphor or what-have-you. "Making snow," is literally making snow. Most of the ski areas in the Eastern US (and I strongly suspect throughout the world) manufacture snow on a regular basis. I live practically on top of a small ski area called Catamount (located on the Hillsdale, NY / South Egremont, MA border - http://www.catamountski.com if you're interested. And bonus points if you can find my house on the site photos or on the trail map!) and I get to hear and watch them make snow on a regular basis. The actual making is done with machines that look like spotlights (or Star Wars style cannons depending on your slant on things) while the groomers (basically big bulldozer/tractor types of machines run by a single driver) smooth things out and get the slopes in shape for the skiers.

This song is from the perspective of a groomer driver. I am watching some even now, working their way up and down the trails on the western side of the ski area as the sun is rising here on our side of the trails.

Downhill skiing is a spectator sport for me, by the bye. :wink:

I've got a hunch I may be revisiting aspects of this theme because one of the reasons it took so long to write is that I kept coming up with new angles and ideas and finding lots of themes to write about. And, naturally, I kept trying to put all of them into the song!

Needless to say, it was Bob's original instructions, namely to work on the "lonely" aspect of things, that brought it all back to earth. Musically I was going through a lot of different styles as well depending on the particular stress of the lyrics, but when things settled into making it a love song, this is what came out. I'm actually very happy with the guitar work, sloppy as it is in places, although I could probably have not used the opening phrase of Moonlight In Vermont so often! :wink:

More than you'd ever want to know, I'm sure.

Thanks for reading and listening.

Peace

ReplyQuote
(@katreich)
Prominent Member

I don't think that anyone else in the world could have come up with this job description! Nice. I love the guitar.

Falling in love is like learning to play the guitar; first you learn to follow the rules, then you learn to play with your heart.

www.soundclick.com/kathyreichert

ReplyQuote
 Celt
(@celt)
Famed Member

David,

This reminds me of when I was working at
one of those Ski resorts.

We would leave the kitchen around midnight
with the snow guns going and the groomers
running on the mountain.

I think you caught the feel of that perfectly.

Of course your perspective on that would be somewhat
unique. Wouldn't it?

John

My SoundClick Page

Collaborations

" It's easier than waiting around to die" Townes Van Zandt

ReplyQuote